1982 brockage on the observe

tttwism

Apr 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just looking for opinions as usual. oh and does cleaning a coin with brasso ruin it or lower the value? 1982 Brockerage.png

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well u r not suppose to clean coins but I say they are your coins, but if you try 2 sell them u must disclose that they are cleaned, you will have killed their value also, if not clean them if you wish

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like it was glued to another penny

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure on the error, but cleaning the coin in anyway will ruin any value.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the glue, is the spot raised like something stuck on the coin? Improper cleaning definitely lowers the value of collectible coins.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree on the glue, is the spot raised like something stuck on the coin? Improper cleaning definitely lowers the value of collectible coins.

It looks raised from the picture. I have a similar one, everyone told me PMD on here, LCS said it could be an error, I have kept it until I get a good evaluation.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak the coin in some acetone, if its glue it will dissolve. Some say acetone will change the color of some copper coins although i have never had a problem its something to watch out for. You also cannot use nail polish remover as it is scented and not pure, your local paint or hardware store should have it. Remember also to rinse with water after the soak in acetone and i also would recommend soaking for no more than an hour at a time or you will ruin the luster of the coin. There is a fine line between cleaning and preserving a coin. Im in the glue camp as well due to the fact that if this was indeed a brockage or even a strike through the design elements would be disturbed and as i look at the pic provided you can clearly see lincolns ear with some circulation wear suggesting this coin circulated for some time before whatever is on it attached itself. Get back to us if you decide to go through with the acetone bath i can provide you with a link that will walk you through it so you don't ruin the coin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread