1983 weight question

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, I know we're all hoping for the 3.1 gram 1983. All the ones I've weighed since I got my scale (150,000 or so cents searched) have been 2.46-2.65 grams. Until this one:
1983 heavy.jpeg
S20180801_0002.jpg S20180801_0003.jpg

Yes, I turned the scale on and off again, and wiped both the cent and scale to rid it of any extra particles. Not really getting my hopes up here, but more wondering what the "acceptable deviation" for a cent's weight is? I thought I had read somewhere the mint's tolerance was .15 grams? Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks, and happy hunting everyone!

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I am going to say no. I do not believe, based on the images provided, including the pic of coin on scale, that this is a 1983 copper. The pitting on both obverse and reverse appear, in my opinion, to be that of a copper plated zinc cent.

Because the weight seems to be between that of a typical zincoln and a typical copper, if you get differing opinions,
take it to your local coin shop for evaluation.

Time for more coffee.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a metal detector dealer and have them scan it with an E-TRAC or CTX 3030. On my E-TRAC a zinc penny reads 12-37 and a copper penny reads 12-42.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to say no. I do not believe, based on the images provided, including the pic of coin on scale, that this is a 1983 copper. The pitting on both obverse and reverse appear, in my opinion, to be that of a copper plated zinc cent.

Because the weight seems to be between that of a typical zincoln and a typical copper, if you get differing opinions,
take it to your local coin shop for evaluation.

Time for more coffee.

I realize its not a "heavy" one, but my question was what is the allowance for weights? Like, how much does the mint allow them to differ...

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per 31 U.S. Code § 5113 - Tolerances and testing of coins

"(a) The Secretary of the Treasury may prescribe reasonable manufacturing tolerances for specifications in section 5112 of this title (except for specifications that are limits) for the dollar, half dollar, quarter dollar, and dime coins. The weight of the 5-cent coin may vary not more than 0.194 gram. The weight of the one-cent coin may vary not more than 0.13 gram. Any gold coin issued under section 5112 of this title shall contain the full weight of gold stated on the coin."

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on it. A Zincoln comes up in the mid to high 70's on my ATPro and a copper penny is 80, 81.

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Per 31 U.S. Code § 5113 - Tolerances and testing of coins

"(a) The Secretary of the Treasury may prescribe reasonable manufacturing tolerances for specifications in section 5112 of this title (except for specifications that are limits) for the dollar, half dollar, quarter dollar, and dime coins. The weight of the 5-cent coin may vary not more than 0.194 gram. The weight of the one-cent coin may vary not more than 0.13 gram. Any gold coin issued under section 5112 of this title shall contain the full weight of gold stated on the coin."

Perfect...thank you! Now, wtf is going on with mine, cause no way I'm that lucky. Weird planchet made it through, or the added grime or something?

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . Weird planchet made it through, or the added grime or something?
Yeah, good question. On the off chance that it's a planchet error, you can't really wire brush the gunk off and weigh it. Nor can you make a deep scratch to see if there's zinc.

Metal detector is actually a good idea. There was a video here on TNet once. The video itself is gone, but the thread persists.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...sorting-zinc-copper-cents-metal-detector.html

I remember the video. The technique was quite effective.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread