1st Box Nickels/ Stinky Eyed CRHr

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ya,

I got my first box of nickels. No couple rolls here or there but a whole box. and in the box I found a war nickel! 1943 P war nickel. No buffies but that's ok.

But the sad part was I went to my credit union and I heard the tink of silver coins. Looking over I saw a gentleman with a bunch of halves and heard him talk about wanting to turn the halves in. Smiling, wanting to educate him, feeling a really good mood, I suggested to him to double check his dates. He looked at me and gave me the most nastiest stinky eye ever. Woah! What had I done to deserve that? Had I broke some CRHr cardnal rule or something? I mean I didn't want him to loss out on some silver, though part of me would have picked it up if he had, I was smiling, polite. Turning my attention back to my own collection of 100 dollars of halves, I turned those in for more, then turned in my pennies for a box of nickels. And he was still giving me the stinky eye! God talk about a buzz kill. There was a big line at the coin counter. Everyone else must have had the same idea at the same time. Most of us had nice clean coins but one guy in front of us had a cloth grocery bag fill of junk and lint and my teller had to leave me time and time again to unjam the machine. No big deal at the time though my mom was waiting in the car and we had to get to a doctor's appt. Finally I was able to finish up getting my stuff and noticed the stinky eyed CRHr was gone. I don't want to call him really bad names but I will say this. I hope he gets 15 boxes of skunks, 1 box of skunks for every minute he stood glaring at me. You get more with honey then you do with vinegar and I was just trying to help.

Anyways I am off to enjoy my single war nickel. Oh and my tally is 14 various 1940's, 22 various 1950's, and 6 - 1960's. I had one 1939 but I can't find it now. I am going to go through my nickels again and see if I can't find it. Bummer.

Sincerely, GarouLady

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the War nickel!!!!!! Here's to the first War nickel, and many many more to come! I predict.. 50-75 by christmas :) did you get his halves after he left? should have if you didn't!
Happy hunting :)
Wickaboag

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
No I didn't. We had to get to a doctor's appt and I think he was sorting out all the silver. I could hear its music but wanted to stay as far away from him as possible. He had a very negative aura about him.

Sincerely, GarouLady

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you dumping where you're picking up?

He's probably mad that you were explaining the silver coins in front of other people/tellers, hoping that he keeps getting what he wants from them.

Jluck456

Sep 22, 2012
Nice! War nickels are one of my favorites. I work at a liquor store and the other day some older guy probably about 70 was digging around for change and pulled it out a handful of coins and I seent it right on top. Sure enough he grabs it and dropped it right in my hands! Thats the third time that's happened to me :-)

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jluck456 said:
Nice! War nickels are one of my favorites. I work at a liquor store and the other day some older guy probably about 70 was digging around for change and pulled it out a handful of coins and I seent it right on top. Sure enough he grabs it and dropped it right in my hands! Thats the third time that's happened to me :-)

You must see all kinds of silver. I have always had good luck asking for halves at party stores, usually some silver when they have halves.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow there was a line of not just you and the stink eyed guy but others at the coin counter? Talk about competition! In my area I'm almost always the sole person showing up, and maybe one time out of ten someone will come into line behind me, and it's never a CRH. I usually let them go ahead of me since I have so many coins usually and they have like thirty bucks worth. I guess Im lucky though, here when i order or bring in halves tellers always seem surprised like they've never seen it before, but when I drive an hour north into a more hard up area of town, they have loads and loads of CRHs.

Seems to me like he's a veteran coin roll hunter and he was offended that you asked him to double check his coins, and at the same time he's seeing a younger (well I don't know you're young, just new to this site. maybe not even new to CRH. so anyways sorry if I'm wrong) CRH infringing on his territory. Stand your ground! you have every right to enjoy this hobby as him, just know you'll run across this

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I just would've told him to take a picture, it'll last longer

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She has the competition, because she tells everyone she can about CRHing. Every post is how she is trying to educate people. She is going to search 3 boxes and the area is going to be dry because of all her competition she talked into searching.

CRHing is like fight club. And what is the first rule?

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a hobby not a competition. it's like knitting or cross-stitching. I get enjoyment from both the craft and passing it along to anyone with an ear the hear and eyes to see. I have had more than enough people help me get the odd coin or silver bit. And there are more than enough banks around here that I can go to others. It was just this day we were driving past my credit union and I had all the coins to turn in. Ohh, ::gets an idea:; there is a small bank next to a dollar store that I just remembered about. Maybe i will stop on by and check it out.

sincerely, Garoulady

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, it is a hobby, AND a competition. If you are hunting for silver, then you are looking to make a profit. The only ones who make a profit are the ones who protect their secrets. It is about as far from knitting as you can get. People have told you before, and i will say again, stop telling people about CRHing. You stumbled upon it, let the rest of your community do the same. Silver coins are finite.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whether you want to call it a hobby or a profit making scheme, it's still all about finding silver or rare (in other words valuable) coins. The hobby wouldn't be that great if all you ever found were common clads. therefore, the more people in your area means things will head in that direction

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a hobby not a competition. it's like knitting or cross-stitching. I get enjoyment from both the craft and passing it along to anyone with an ear the hear and eyes to see. I have had more than enough people help me get the odd coin or silver bit. And there are more than enough banks around here that I can go to others. It was just this day we were driving past my credit union and I had all the coins to turn in. Ohh, ::gets an idea:; there is a small bank next to a dollar store that I just remembered about. Maybe i will stop on by and check it out.

sincerely, Garoulady

And this is how by the time you build that bankroll you want, there won't be any left.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
wow, for me its not always about the silver. Just like I got into coin collecting, not to make a profit but just to see all the cool coins, hence why I do a lot of foreign coins. Life's a journey and I don't care about the destination, I prefer to enjoy the ride, the hunt. Whether or not I find anything doesn't matter to me. If someone CRHs for profit more power to them, but don't judge me or get mad at me if I prefer to do this my way. we all go to a different drummer. Or my take, we all have a song in us that only we hear. For some of us is country, or classicals, or for me its good old modern rock.

Sincerely, garoulady

PS - going to go scope out a new bank tomorrow, so wish me luck.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
wow, for me its not always about the silver. Just like I got into coin collecting, not to make a profit but just to see all the cool coins, hence why I do a lot of foreign coins. Life's a journey and I don't care about the destination, I prefer to enjoy the ride, the hunt. Whether or not I find anything doesn't matter to me. If someone CRHs for profit more power to them, but don't judge me or get mad at me if I prefer to do this my way. we all go to a different drummer. Or my take, we all have a song in us that only we hear. For some of us is country, or classicals, or for me its good old modern rock.

Sincerely, garoulady

PSS - Keep checking your change. I found an 1889 indian cent in mine after we went to taco bell. Ole!!

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I waited a while to post this because I thought others might have had the same thought I did. If I was standing in line at my bank and someone unknown to me came up to me and started talking about the money I had with me I would immediately be suspicious of their motive and would probably do worse than give them the "stinky eye". Then I when I left the bank I would continue to look for that person outside to see what type of vehicle they were driving and then proceed on a very circuitous route home to see if I was being followed. If so I would then dial 911 to report that I was followed from my bank and give them the description and tag of the vehicle. Paranoid? Maybe. Very careful about who is around me when I'm picking up or dumping coin? Hell YES!

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other

Sincerely, garoulady

Wow, seriously...? Not to flame or anything, but.... The whole point of coin roll hunting is to find collectible coins in rolls or general circulation. For a lot of us, this means silver dimes, halves, etc.... They have not been minted for the most part in over 40 years, "copper" cents, not since part of 1982. They are a finite item, although still "plentiful" (ymmv, lol!)

Knitting and cross stitching are fine hobbies, the difference being that patterns, yarn, and supplies are currently in production and you can find these supplies in craft stores all over the country and 4,332 places on the internet. The production of these hobby items will continue indefinitely...

Why not just wear a sandwich board outside the bank telling the world to CRH....? Since, you don't care if you find anything... Educating others about CRH'ing...you must be satisfied with all the present day clad. Glad you're not in my neck of the woods. :BangHead:

You are right... to each his own. That's fine. Listen to your own tune. But when your tune causes interference with other's tunes, problems and conflict can arise... Think I tell anyone....? I CRH at my desk at work. I told my co-workers it is for my kid's coin collection. I like my co-workers. But educating them about CRH....? Why...? So they can hunt / dump / annoy tellers in my grid zone...? Nope. Not gonna happen. If they figure it out on their own, or stumble upon it, fine. C'est la vie...

An unsuccessful treasure hunter is one who tells others about possible treasure and how to find it in his own backyard... (My songs are all by RUSH, btw.... :tongue3:) Long post concluded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread