1st Box Nickels/ Stinky Eyed CRHr

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey ya,

I got my first box of nickels. No couple rolls here or there but a whole box. and in the box I found a war nickel! 1943 P war nickel. No buffies but that's ok.

But the sad part was I went to my credit union and I heard the tink of silver coins. Looking over I saw a gentleman with a bunch of halves and heard him talk about wanting to turn the halves in. Smiling, wanting to educate him, feeling a really good mood, I suggested to him to double check his dates. He looked at me and gave me the most nastiest stinky eye ever. Woah! What had I done to deserve that? Had I broke some CRHr cardnal rule or something? I mean I didn't want him to loss out on some silver, though part of me would have picked it up if he had, I was smiling, polite. Turning my attention back to my own collection of 100 dollars of halves, I turned those in for more, then turned in my pennies for a box of nickels. And he was still giving me the stinky eye! God talk about a buzz kill. There was a big line at the coin counter. Everyone else must have had the same idea at the same time. Most of us had nice clean coins but one guy in front of us had a cloth grocery bag fill of junk and lint and my teller had to leave me time and time again to unjam the machine. No big deal at the time though my mom was waiting in the car and we had to get to a doctor's appt. Finally I was able to finish up getting my stuff and noticed the stinky eyed CRHr was gone. I don't want to call him really bad names but I will say this. I hope he gets 15 boxes of skunks, 1 box of skunks for every minute he stood glaring at me. You get more with honey then you do with vinegar and I was just trying to help.

Anyways I am off to enjoy my single war nickel. Oh and my tally is 14 various 1940's, 22 various 1950's, and 6 - 1960's. I had one 1939 but I can't find it now. I am going to go through my nickels again and see if I can't find it. Bummer.

Sincerely, GarouLady

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Rush fan, I think that comment is rediculous.

Telling people about coin roll hunting isn't the worst thing she could be doing. Did you just say "hmmm. I think... Wow! I should go to the bank. And get a few rolls. Maybe there is silver?"
Probably not. But who knows? I learned about coin roll hunting through YouTube. I still watch YouTube vids on CRH. Don't flame her post because she is NICE enough to inform people instead of you guys who just are greedy. What's the difference if she tells 10 people? Not like everyone is gunna run out and start weekly orders of halves. They might grab a roll at most.
Not to flame or anything.
Wicka. :)

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Rush fan, I think that comment is rediculous.

Telling people about coin roll hunting isn't the worst thing she could be doing. Did you just say "hmmm. I think... Wow! I should go to the bank. And get a few rolls. Maybe there is silver?"
Probably not. But who knows? I learned about coin roll hunting through YouTube. I still watch YouTube vids on CRH. Don't flame her post because she is NICE enough to inform people instead of you guys who just are greedy. What's the difference if she tells 10 people? Not like everyone is gunna run out and start weekly orders of halves. They might grab a roll at most.
Not to flame or anything.
Wicka. :)

Hey Wicka ... Of course, it isn't the worst thing she could do. I never said what she did, was. Punching a kitten in the face? That's worse... I stumbled into CRH'ing after reading about preppers and hoarding copper cents... Many people find out about it in many different ways.

I think you will find the general consensus on this forum is that most people don't go telling everyone about coin roll hunting... If, in your opinion, that makes me (us?) greedy, you are entitled to your opinion. But suppose she tells those 10 people at her pick up bank, and a few start to order boxes (why wouldn't they?) and they dump at the same bank... is that something desireable...? Getting cut off because someone you told acted like an idiot is counter-productive to CRH'ing.

Do you have an "Ask me about Coin Roll Hunting!" bumper sticker on your car...? Or, do you wear a "I Coin Roll Hunt, and so can you!" t-shirt when you go pick up at the bank...? Did you tell someone about coin roll hunting today? No..? Does that make you greedy by your own definition?

I did not flame her post.... no name calling... and it was not provocative or offensive. I did take a contrary postion, and explained myself in detail. If that is "flaming" to you, I don't know what to say then... As always, HH...! :headbang:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
See, it is a hobby, AND a competition. If you are hunting for silver, then you are looking to make a profit. The only ones who make a profit are the ones who protect their secrets. It is about as far from knitting as you can get. People have told you before, and i will say again, stop telling people about CRHing. You stumbled upon it, let the rest of your community do the same. Silver coins are finite.

Keep in mind most of the silver we find is from dumped collections, not in circulation since 1970 or before. Silver will reduce, but never run out.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Knitting and cross-stitching...? She mentioned both in post#12... So I compared her examples to CRH'ing...

Ok, now I've lost interest... Not gonna get into it with a 15 year old respectable young man that took offense to my post. I'll just let my posts speak for themselves. Wilmingtonsilver, I appreciate your input. Now, I'm off to punch a kitten in the face.

Errr, I mean, go through my half box, hoping to avoid skunk box #6...! HH all...!

Last edited:

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin roll hunting IS competitive because if someone else gets to the coins before you, you are left with nothing. If you are ok with this then you really aren't a coin roll hunter because you already know you get nothing. The more people that are aware AND participate, the lower your chances are of finding whatever it is you are looking for in each roll you open.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yo wicka,
Share your 4 rolls of quarters with everyone or we will call you greedy.
Seriously man where do you get off thinking you can say this kind of stuff on a treasure hunting forum?
I haven't heard you talk about how you teach other people about CRHing. Maybe it's because it doesn't matter to you if the hobby is ruined somewhere other than your territory?

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Yo wicka,
Share your 4 rolls of quarters with everyone or we will call you greedy.
Seriously man where do you get off thinking you can say this kind of stuff on a treasure hunting forum?
I haven't heard you talk about how you teach other people about CRHing. Maybe it's because it doesn't matter to you if the hobby is ruined somewhere other than your territory?

I told my cousin about he, he's a young one like me, 6th grade, he goes with his mom and does a few boxes of dimes per a week, same bank as me, I don't mind. He said he told his friends too. I still don't mind. Sorry, I don't want to see my friend getting picked on because she informs people about CRH. It's not ruined at all if you tell people. It's not like it's all going straight to them. We (me and my cousin, and his friends,) all get boxes, boxes come from a city a hour away. I don't know where that supply comes from, but it produces silver for all of us. Finder's keepers on the quarters. I share my information, use it how you want, don't call me greedy at all, I got those quarter rolls, and went back to the bank, told the teller what she gave me, and then the NEXT DAY, got every single teller a $20 subway card. And all good reviews to their manager. So no greed over here.
happy Hunting :)
Wicka

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2000 the U.S. minted 42,000,000 half dollars. Imagine how many billions of half dollars the mint has put in circulation over the previous 200+ years.

Even at 50 boxes of searches a week like TimZim does, it would take 16 years to go through the half dollars that were minted in 2000 alone. I would imagine that very few CRHers do that kind of volume.

This hobby takes a lot of patience, which most people don't have, but having a forum to share stories about it is very uplifting for those that might be on a bad streak.

There is plenty of room in this hobby for those that have been brought into the fold by word of mouth.

Last edited:

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For my own reasons I don't share my CRH "know how" with anyone, other than my wife. Why? For me its a matter of security. Just do a google search with the term "coin collection killed" and you will know why. Its not even the fact that I may have a bunch of silver / gold / copper in my posession, its all of the clad that I have in my home at any given time that some desperate and opportunistic criminal could harm myself or my family over. Am I paranoid? Perhaps, but when you have other people who rely on the decisions you make, it changes the way you think. I also think that smart people can figure it out on their own and it has been pointed out all over the internet and TV in the last year on almost a daily basis what CRH is and how to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread