1st Box of dimes

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't wait for my halves order to come in so I bought a box of dimes to hold me over. I got skunked (at least I think I did). I just checked the edges for silver but wanted to ask if you dime hunters actually look at the dates or just check the edges. The reason I ask is that I have found a few halves that were dirty and did not look like silver but actually were. Do you dime hunters check all the dates or just edges? Also, how do you open your rolls? I used an exacto knife to slice the paper rolls but saw some scratch marks on the side of the dimes. I'm sure that would hurt the value of good coins but was curious if there was any other safer but still quick way to get the rolls open.

Upvote 0

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I edge check dimes...for anything that is a consistent color. Out of the dimes I've found so far I have found 3 that have been dirty enough to look all brown or all black on the edge; if I was looking just for silver I would have missed them. I quick vinegar bath takes care of the dirt. I think that dirty rim actually kept them in circulation, as people wanted to get rid of the dirty money or other CRHs didn't notice the coin due to the lack of silver color.

I also pick out the new edged rims and look for 2009s. The new rims are shiny, clad, and stick out like a sore thumb due to their thickness. I then date check those. Most of them are 2008 or 2010, but I have found six 2009s so far.

Although I haven't heard of anyone finding one yet, you should be able to find the 1996-W dime in circulation. It was sold from the mint only as a special 50th aniversary edition of the FDR dime in sets. If someone died and the heir took the 1996-W mint set to the coin counter it would wind up in circulation. Due to the fact it was unciculated for so many years you should be able to find it via looking for the new rims.

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011
I take my time with the rolls and check all the dates. This is a hobby and not a job on the assembly line. It takes the fun out of it if you just blow through all the rolls just looking for silver and nothing else. There are plenty of error coins, proof coins, W mint dimes to be found. I am definitely against using a knife to open the rolls, its just lazy, and I get ticked off when I find a coin I need for my collection that someone gashed up the edge.

OP
OP
D

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mdockter said:
I think that dirty rim actually kept them in circulation, as people wanted to get rid of the dirty money or other CRHs didn't notice the coin due to the lack of silver color.

I know what you mean. I was at the drive thru at my bank a couple of weeks ago and asked the teller for halves. She told me she only had two then held one up and said " but this one is yucky". I said I would take it anyway and it turned out to be a 67 Kennedy.

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
papa1956e9 said:
I take my time with the rolls and check all the dates. This is a hobby and not a job on the assembly line. It takes the fun out of it if you just blow through all the rolls just looking for silver and nothing else. There are plenty of error coins, proof coins, W mint dimes to be found. I am definitely against using a knife to open the rolls, its just lazy, and I get ticked off when I find a coin I need for my collection that someone gashed up the edge.

Well put!

db23

Mar 18, 2011
papa1956e9 said:
My hobby is collecting silver, that just so happens to be in coins. I edge check only and the possibility of missing an error here and there doesn't phase me one bit. If I took the time to look at every coin for dates and errors, I wouldn't be able to do the quantity I want to. I don't feel like it's a job or like I'm on an assembly line.

I also don't intentionally ruin coins that others may be insterested in.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rim search as well and do high volume like db23, when i get dimes they are mostly plastic rolled so i dont even open them. When i do get merchant wrap from Chase i just tear one end and a good tap with your thumb on the bottom will get them to slide out very nicely, you can usually see the silver before you even pinch them together for the overhead rim search line up. I dump with coin bags so after i rim search i just fire em in the bag.

for halves since they are paper rolled i do the same, i use a thin kitchen knife and slide it against the face to pierce the thick edge of the roll and then push outward to slice through the paper. I careful so I dont gash the top of the coins. Even though I am a rim searcher I know that other people may be interested in them so I take care not to mutilate them.

My hobby is also for collecting silver. We all have our own idea of what makes this hobby fun. For me it's finding silver and pulling out nice proof coins and foreign coins when I find them. For others it is finding errors, filling books, and the silver is like a bonus. Each person may consider what the other does to be tedious or assembly line like, but as long as you are getting satisfaction out of it, then your hobby is rewarding you as it should. I do enjoy finding the really old coins as well, especially wheats (never found an indian yet) and just trying to imagine where this coin has been since 1910.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Yesterday

$300 in dimes skunk
$250 in halves skunk
$100 in nickels
1 war nickel
1 1949S (my first)

Not great, but I'm too addicted to stop!
1.75 gm of silver is enough to keep me going!

clad or sad

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2011
I clear a minimum of 14 boxes a week. I simply "jimmy" one end until the paper untucks and quickly work it out and then push the other end out with a fat "silver" pen. Then Edge check, and I manually check any brown rims(in case of dirty silver), and I have found a way to slide the dimes right back in the roll by pinching the roll with my fingers in only 2 swipes. Cant explain it...but I clear 2 boxes in an hour1/2 all $500 checked and rerolled. I leave errors and key dates for others, Im only a silver bug, and I love it!! No assembly line job here, but that may wear off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions