City vs Rural banks?

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are rural banks really as good as people say they are for finding keepers? They would have to be to justify the gas money spent road tripping there. Let's use my area as an example. There are about 31 banks in Orem, Utah. Wasatch, Duchesne, and Uintah Counties combined only have about 24 banks. Most of those 24 banks are along a 130 mile stretch of road, with a few slightly off the road in Vernal, and one pretty far out of the way in Altamont, as well as one out of the way in Midway. You would use way less miles hitting 24 banks in a place like Orem or Salt Lake City. And especially so in a major city, because we all know CardsnCoins totally rakes in the Silver in NYC :laughing7:.

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rural banks are hit and miss, the usually don't have that many halves on hand, but there certainly isn't that much competition. I would call ahead and verify if they even have any to sell. I do it all the time for far out banks. They are all usually hand rolled and can be pretty good sometimes

HH
-GC

spjegues

Apr 22, 2010
ID, UT, NV
My experience has been that have not been as good. I headed south of salt lake county and was very unlucky in Rural Utah/ Wasatch / Carbon county .

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
The way to success in this addiction is to cover a lot of new territory. You probably have less competition than say someone from Chicago. It's a numbers game. Next day off you get, hop into the Model T and make a day out of new banks. Plot you a course on google. You can always call ahead and put out feelers with banks. If you get the same response about halves, try another town. Get off the interstate,hit the out of the way banks, you may be spending $4 a gallon for gas, but you might just find some good silver. Every 40% half puts a gallon of gas into my truck. Cheers, Jim

You have the most beautiful scenery in the world. How can a road trip be painful ?

OP
OP
mleblanc138

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't have a car now. If I did, I'm probably addicted enough to consider a road trip or two. I've already done trips through Utah and Salt Lake County.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011
I have more luck in large cities, especially banks that are somewhat secluded/non obvious or only want to deal with members. I always get loose halves from small town banks, but I never get any keepers.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mleblanc138 said:
Are rural banks really as good as people say they are for finding keepers? They would have to be to justify the gas money spent road tripping there. Let's use my area as an example. There are about 31 banks in Orem, Utah. Wasatch, Duchesne, and Uintah Counties combined only have about 24 banks. Most of those 24 banks are along a 130 mile stretch of road, with a few slightly off the road in Vernal, and one pretty far out of the way in Altamont, as well as one out of the way in Midway. You would use way less miles hitting 24 banks in a place like Orem or Salt Lake City. And especially so in a major city, because we all know CardsnCoins totally rakes in the Silver in NYC :laughing7:.

My best score to date came from a small 2 bank town where both banks produced (12 90%, 218 40%). I have also been to many rural banks that hadn't even seen a half dollar in years. Bottom line is, "You don't know if you don't go." :D

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
No Car ? No Problem

It only takes 4500 90% halves to get one of these. Should be no problem.

Attachments

• chevrolet-corvette1.jpg
    chevrolet-corvette1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 299

eolson3

Apr 11, 2011
It is first and formost a number game. Volume is always key. Small banks might and often do have more per thousand, but the dont have thousands on hand. My dream box ( 15 90% and 29 40%) was scored at a chase Bank in Chicago. I bought $200 worth from a town of 300 in south dakota and got nothing. Volume Volume Volume. But I do love road trips, see lots of country and meet some nice folks.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I vacationed in Michigan's UP and stopped by a rural bank. They snickered when I bought $100 in rolls, but I scored 12 40%. Suckers.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I live in a rural area and I would have to say they are no better than city banks for the most part.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought from Wells Fargo for about 2 months and found maybe 3 ounces (2 boxes halves/week)..

I found another bank that only have 4 branches in the area. Small time.. I have found a ton there. I really wish I knew how this all worked.. Where are they bringing all these coins from? Surely they must be mixed with other banks at some distribution center..

In the last 2 weeks I have found about 22 ounces in 8 boxes of halves. Maybe I just got really lucky.. Prior to that I was doing pretty descent, but not 10-12 oz/4 boxes.. I am picking 4 more up tomorrow so be on the lookout in the next few days for some pics (I hope I didn't jinx myself) :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread