1st Cache [no pics]

diggerdan

Dec 13, 2008
No pics, this happened long before I got a computer or digital camera. And, this is a cut and paste job from a small local forum where I posted to try and [1] stir some interest, [2] let people know where they might want to look.

I've 3 of these stories and intend to post all 3 here.

While living in Pa. from '85-'88, I did quite a bit of detecting. I joined a metal detector club there and at a competition hunt got a prize that was a book on cache hunting. think it was by Chas. Garrett but memory fails me. I read it, dreamed ect, y'all know the drill. I didn't cache hunt, I was a coin shooter. My 'treasure' was those pre-64 silver coins. You know, the ones that come out almost as shiny as they were when they got dropped no matter how long ago.

I'm from Illinois. I grew up on a farm. Our neighbors were the XXXXXX's. Two brothers and a sister, Winnie, Bill, and Ed. I'm 62 and they were well past that when I was a kid.

I'm not a writer or even a good story teller, so bear w/ me a tad. My first experience w/ a metal detector was w/ a buddy, he had an ancient Whites. The [XXXXX's} were long gone and we went to the abandoned farm yard to hunt it. My buddy found a Barber dime and I lost what little sanity I had. I was hooked! this was long before my first detecto.

I'd read about how old folks used to hide money in chicken houses in that cache book. That thought entered my mind as I was scanning the area where we had found that Barber years before. I was home on vacation from Pa.

It dawned on me that there was a chicken house on the property. I ambled over to it and went in. I didn't go in too far because it was nearly filled w/ junk. I certainly wasn't going to give up precious coin shooting time to move all of that, so I tuned up and started checking the bare dirt floor. I figured the [XXXXXXs] wouldn't have gone to far in to bury any treasure anyhow.

As I came to the first corner, I got a hit. Blew it off as probably rebar in the foundation. I kept on working the little bit of exposed perimeter, as if I got too close to the junk the Garretts went nuts.

It then dawned on me I'd passed the 2nd corner and didn't get a hit. Seemed weird, so I went back to check the first corner again. The hit seemed to be real close to the very corner and I was having a hard time since the machine was a motion one and I couldn't get much of that in the corner as there was no room to swing the coil.

Time to dig. Got down and started on that project. a few inches deep I found it. A darn zinc screw on fruit jar lid. Those buggers always sound good even when they are all bent up and a foot deep w/ my Garrett.

I was disgusted and had about enough cache hunting at that point sweating in a stinky old chicken coop, so I grabbed the lid out of habit, as I always took my trash w/ my treasure.

The lid refused to budge. I scraped a little more dirt away and what I saw was [1] glass [2] the reeded edge of a silver dollar leaning against the glass!

Total contents from memory was a bunch of foreign junk coins, 18 sliver dollars, 50 some silver halves, a bunch of silver quarters and 90 some silver dimes.

I was rich. For awhile, lol.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool!!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions