1st taste of silver! sitting right in the jar I empty my pockets out into

CRHgiggidy

Greenie
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the 1952 dime sitting in with a bunch of my change. Really makes me wonder how many silver dimes and quarters I've foolishly spent before I knew about this. Now I check every coin and pay with cash instead of debit strictly for the change. The other coins are ones that have been passed down. I even found myself asking the clerk if she had a spare roll of dimes at the grocery store. Got nothing but it's official. I'm hooked.

Upvote 0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Just as a word of wisdom, let me be the first to caution you about this hobby:

Once you are hooked, it is a slippery slope headed south.

You've already admitted to 'just one roll'.

Soon, you will wake up one morning with $2,000 worth of unwrapped dimes sitting on your kitchen table, and your only thoughts will be "Man, I've got to dump these quick. I could flip another $2,000 in halves before my boxes come in on Thursday!"

OP
OP
C

CRHgiggidy

Greenie
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahahaha, I remember when I was younger I was obsessed with this. I even had my mom go out and buy me a strong box which I lined with my other favorite thing to collect; alien stickers from vending machines. If I start collecting those again, I may need to be evaluated. It's really just good clean fun and after my years of being 21, I need some clean fun. I'm contemplating buying a metal detector for the weekends when I take my dog for hikes.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I second what clovis is sayin, and your story is very similiar to what happened to me, one very cold, fateful night I got a hair and dumped my gallon sized glass bowl of pocket change right in the middle of my closet on the floor, found a silver quarter and silver dime..... GAME OVER>>>> I had the same thought you did, about a million times since then, which is.... Man, I wonder how many silvers I have set free into the wild for some wise, devil-eyed CRH'er to find and stock away at F.V... I used to own sno shacks and run em in the summer, and literally remember dumping buckets full of change-yeah, five gallon buckets.. full of god only knows what... never sorted, looked, payed attention or even cared for that matter as to what I was getting rid of, as long as I got my paper garbage at the end of the day. I too have hit the grocery store, usually when I was fiening for a fix so bad after banking hours that I had to go to as many grocery stores as it took to find some crack, I mean... Silver-same difference anyways, might as well be crack as far as Im concerned.. I have found silvers that way, not much but def. a few here and there... If you were my friend, and I cared about you, I would say get out IF you still can... your CRH'ing will become obsession (if it hasnt already) and before you know it, you will stop at every yard sale, garage sale, thrift store etc.... trying to find that one steal. you will have spent too much money on a Metal Detector, to find free silver in the ground, and if you dont do auctions, then you will do those too.... Bringing home god knows what, stuff u def. dont need though, (cant pass up a "good buy")... Pretty soon, collectible coins will be just as important of a "fix" as silver at F.V... and I'm pretty sure that these are all things that lead to becomming a "HOARDER"...

SO, IF ITS TO LATE, GOD HELP YOU. GOD HELP US ALL....

Besides all that, good luck on your finds buddy.... I have some pennies to sort now..

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Ha ha, LOL, you wrote that you were contimplating buying a detector while I was writing my "word of caution"... It has already started, and its to late to go back.. Good luck, and if you are married, buy her flowers now- to make up for whats to come...

OP
OP
C

CRHgiggidy

Greenie
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, I'll hoard money all day long. If I find myself hoarding trinkets, soda bottles and cats then I will probably give this up but so far I've found it's been making me a lot more frugal with money. I plan on doing 1 box a week of halves and then keeping one box every month or every two months depending on what I can afford. If my closet ends up becoming filled with boxes of halves, I think that's a hoarding problem that anyone would want to have.

OP
OP
C

CRHgiggidy

Greenie
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahaha I have a girlfriend, but I screw up on a daily basis so this should just be a drop in the bucket. It's funny you said flowers because I literally have the local flower shop saved in my phone.

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I am in too deep to stop haha. First you are excited about your first silver, then you can't believe it when you find your first Ben....and it's all downhill from there. You are gonna want to find a Walker, then a Barber, and then one of each year, then one of every mint mark, then errors, you just keep going deeper and deeper into it haha. Someday you will convince a friend to do it, and then they will be hooked and you will want them to find all the goodies (and swap coins with them). The upside? It's freakin silver.....it's not a fad, silver will always be valuable, and even if somehow the spot price of silver plummets, the good old U.S.A. still orders people to accept it as currency. So you really can't lose.

Good Luck and HH!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son was working at a coffee stand and an old man would stop in everyday and get a coffee
one day my son noticed the guy gave him a silver quarter - few days later he paid and guy gave him a few silver dimes with the rest of his change - then one day he paid with a peace dollar - my son called me and asked what to do - I said take the peace dollar and replace it with a paper one - guy must have found a change jar and figured he might as well use it

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I can remember working at McDonald's (1970-74) and every summer I would love working the register. Kids on the way down to the beach would spend what ever they found around the house. Wondering how many coin collections were spent. I can recall buying rolls of silver that was spent at face value. I remember working one Easter Sunday and having to call my parents (no cell phones then) to bring me up some more money due to the fact that there were rolls of silver to be had. Still have it.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - a Peace dollar in exchange for a cup of coffee? That's a rather costlly cup of joe. That's more expensive than a Starbucks cup of coffee. I often spend half & clad Ike dollars @ fast food restaurants and sometimes I hear the cashiers say "I'm keeping/I want this one" referring to the Ike dollars. They probably have never seen one before and think it might be a valueable coin or at least a cool coin to have.

And to OP, I also have some Peace dollars that my grandfather gave me that were some of my first coins I got as a kid to start my coin collection. I plan on keeping them and all my silver for many more years. :)

H$H!

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
CRHgiggidy said:
Haha, I'll hoard money all day long. If I find myself hoarding trinkets, soda bottles and cats then I will probably give this up but so far I've found it's been making me a lot more frugal with money. I plan on doing 1 box a week of halves and then keeping one box every month or every two months depending on what I can afford. If my closet ends up becoming filled with boxes of halves, I think that's a hoarding problem that anyone would want to have.

I planned on a couple boxes of halves a week, maybe some dimes thrown in.

Last month I did. 7.6 boxes of nickels, 31 boxes of dimes, 6.7 boxes of quarters and 28.75 boxes of halves. $26,263 worth of changes sorted. Just a bit more than double what I did in January.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions