1st time out

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
With the Ace 250 I got yesterday. I had MD'd a few times before, but this was my 1st time out since making the "commitment" of MDing as a full-time hobby.

I went to the local park for some practice with the 250 today, for 2 hours. There's a ball diamond there as well. I was surprised to find as much as I did, figuring the park had been picked-over on a regular basis.

I did find lots of trash, as there had been alot of fill hauled-in when the park was built. Seemed like in the all-metal mode, what showed as a penny 6"+ deep was always trash, so I just stopped digging those signals. I think once I spend alittle more time swingin' I'll get the hang of it, but overall I'm real pleased with the 250. I also had the chance to use the pinpointer, which for me is more convienient than picking the MD back-up to recheck the hole & lose dirt. It did detect a dime on the sidewall of 1 hole, and a couple coins in the pile I'd missed while digging.

All clad (totaling $1.10), and 1 button. I was pretty happy with what I'd retrieved in a short time close to home. lol, looks like I'm hooked ;D

Thanks
Smitty

8-31-07.jpg

Upvote 0

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
It is slightly "addictive" isn't it? I've been hitting a few parks lately since all of my older spots are too grown up to detect. It's amazing how much is still there even in a well hunted area. Congrats on the Ace 250. I bought one for my wife last winter and have been really impressed with it's performance.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IndianaSmith said:
Seemed like in the all-metal mode, what showed as a penny 6"+ deep was always trash, so I just stopped digging those signals.

Good to see your enjoying it. Keep digging.

I have no knowledge of the ACE 250 but this is my advice on the above statement. I use a Cortes & I pay no attention to the read out at all. I purely go on sound. The read outs are in my experience unreliable. The size, depth, metal type, ground conditions, wetness of the soil & angle of the piece in the ground greatly changes the read out. Today I dug a Bronze Roman Brooch which read as Iron (Nail).

The more rubbish you dig the bigger the susprises.

Learn the sounds as well as looking at the read out.

Happy Hunting.

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Smitty, I have been swinging an Ace 250 for 6 or 7 months now and i do not consider myself a pro by any means. My advice (for what it's worth) and what has worked the best for me, is to search in "coin mode" with the sensitivity at about 3 or 4 bars (depending on the soil). Pay attention to the tones that different targets make. What you may be passing up as junk based on the readout could actually be a nickel or a quarter. Listen to the tones of each and look at the readout at the same time. Here is what I almost passed up as a nail.....
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,93701.msg675828.html#msg675828

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I love my ace. I normally hunt in jewelry mode and also listen carefully to what I'm hearing. Enjoy and HH.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
You are always bound to find money!!!Old abandon diamonds are cool to hunt found a diamond ring under the bleachers before, you may want to hit big old trees where people sit from the sun. ;)
RD

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those first finds are a lot better than my first finds, IS! ;)
Congrats and good luck on your next outing!

Nana :)

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
So glad to have a fellow addict around! What pinpointer are you using?? Just curious as I don't have one yet! Nice finds and looking forward to seeing many more!

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Thanks all.

I checked mostly around the bleachers at the ballfield, along the fence (where most folks seem to walk) which happen to be a direct path to the latrine ;D Also checked the grassy aread outside of the outfield incase spectators watched the game from lawnchairs & blankets.

I had the notion to "ignore" the screen, and just go on the audio, but since it was the "maiden voyage" I wanted to see how it did. I'll probably keep an eye on it just to see how accurate it is.

The DVD said to run it in "All Metal" mode for 10 hours & dig all the "hits", as a method of learning.

Cynangyl- I bought from Kellyco & got the "deal" the Automax V4 PP with the 250.

Cottonjim- Nice buffalo 8)

I've been researching some local spots to hunt, this town has alittle more history then I knew, which is kind of neat in itself (researching). I was very pleased with todays meager finds.....but have intentions of retrieving some old coinage in the near future ;)

Smitty

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That's pretty dang good for the first time out. Keep em coming.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread