$2.50 Gold Indian 1929

tkessler77

Mar 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Other
I traded 19-1964 Kennedy 90% for a $2.50 gold indian 1929 90%. The math of the trade was kennedy=$9. Total $171. Coinflation says $195.65 for the gold. The 64 kennedys are all from CRH. This is my first old american gold. This post should be more interesting than all my penny box posts. They had another 2.5 indian for $360 in a nice case. They said that one was AU.

Attachments

• gold250.jpg
    gold250.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll reply now. Don't want you to get angry at us again...............

NICE COIN!! Well done!!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea on trading for the gold. Ultimately, I think silver has a bigger % increase coming ahead than gold, for the sheer that that an ounce of gold is very costly right now, and $28 for an ounce of silver is pretty cheap. Also, I think the ratio could be better.

However, silver can be found in coin rolls, and gold cannot. So if you can trade CRH finds for gold coins, that is f-in sweet! Diversification is a good idea, holding both gold and silver in the long run is the best plan

Those gold coins are really cool

OP
OP
tkessler77

tkessler77

Mar 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Other
Also the indian is more gold than a .100oz american gold eagle for less money. Gold eagle and canadian gold maple leaf .10oz go for $180.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea they always rip you off on modern gold and silver bullion coins. Better to get the old stuff! IMO

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Well Done!.... Just be careful, that gold coin you hold is one of the very most counterfitted coin there is.. I believe second only to the double eagle, I know all those early gold coins have been being mass produced since the 60's and coming out of China. So, just make sure you arm yourself with the proper knowledge, so you dont get ripped off....

Chris.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would weigh it. Magnet test. Look for anything out of place. Are the numbers appearing correct, or do they look sloppy?

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice coin!
just do what CoinFetcher says.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a density test is the most reliable method I think to determine if a coin is real. It will tell you the composition. Of course, a coin with a lot of numismatic value may be faked with real gold or silver, but as long as your gold coin is of a more common date, a fake would not be real gold. The only problem is you need access to a balance and a graduated cylinder. weigh it, fill the graduated cylinder up to a specific volume and dump the coin in and measure the difference in volume. divide the mass by the volume to get density, and reference the number to a chart of metal density.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a density test is the most reliable method I think to determine if a coin is real. It will tell you the composition. Of course, a coin with a lot of numismatic value may be faked with real gold or silver, but as long as your gold coin is of a more common date, a fake would not be real gold. The only problem is you need access to a balance and a graduated cylinder. weigh it, fill the graduated cylinder up to a specific volume and dump the coin in and measure the difference in volume. divide the mass by the volume to get density, and reference the number to a chart of metal density.

^------------- what Sheldon said

OP
OP
tkessler77

tkessler77

Mar 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe i should have done all my trades for old american gold. My first trade was 118-40% for 2 .1oz gold chinese panda and a silver half crown valued at $500. My second trade was 112-40% for 2 half soverign dates around 1911 valued at $450. Then I sold 70 - 40% for $280 on craigslist. Then I did 31 -40% for a proof silver eagle and a jackie robinson dollar. And then this trade for the indian. I have been trading for whatever gold they had available. I wanted to do a trade at sahara coins in las vegas for a .1oz gold maple leaf but they offered me $2 for each 40%. All my sales I have been getting at least $4/40%.

OP
OP
tkessler77

tkessler77

Mar 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Other
Archimedes put your gold in a bathtub will not work to determine the density and composition. The volume of the coin is about .2165cm^3=.2165ml. The price really was amazing. coinflation puts the value at $195. the $2.50 indians on ebay start at $200-$230.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I can't find that same deal anywhere. Keep it up.

OP
OP
tkessler77

tkessler77

Mar 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Other
659 Views my personal record!! I picked up a 1965 JFK half today at work and a 191? wheat penny. Got 3 other wheat penny this week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread