2 great bank stories in 1 day

Navyguy

Greenie
Jan 20, 2012
Chicago
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bank one is my go to buy bank here in the city. Go in and am told they are closing in two weeks. I am not thinking I'm screwed. This bank produces a lot of silver for me. I know the tellers well and they all think I buy the coins for my niece and nephew. They say we are going to the other branch down the street and I can use them once they are working. Here is where the story gets good. I hear that noise that all CRH's know to well. The sound of rolls being open and dumped. I ask what's going on and they say we are trying to empty the vault out, so we are going to put all the coins In the machine to get rid of them. I walk over and look the pile over and I see sime shinny silver edges on the quarters. Stop I tell the young lady. I'll take them all along with whatever else you have. So they tell me the score and I take half and I will go back in the morning after I dump all this. I end up with 2 boxes of dimes, 3 boxes of pennies and 3 boxes of quarters. Haven't started on them yet. Also they will still get my halves next week.

Bank two. While doing some errands north of my house today I decide to run by the credit union on the Navy base. This is a great dump bank due to the coin counter they have. It's new and fast! Ask the teller if they can spare to sell some coins. I get a big smile and am told to go see teller 1 at the end. Lady says that some guy came in this morning and dropped off $500 in wrapped rolls. He has been saving them for years for a vacation. I take them all. Now I'm thinking this is some guys dump, until I see he has made stickers with his name and account number on them. I don't think any one of us would do all that. So I am all happy and then she tells me the worst news. She says you should have came in Monday, someone cashed in all their funny money. I ask what she is taking about and she goes you know the big silver coins and a bunch of two dollar bills. Unfortunately someone already bought it all. I think I may still have a good score here.

I will post the results when I am through. With bank one I can only remember getting skunked on a dime box from there twice, and I've gone through many boxes from them. Enough of this I need to get started, just wanted to share good bank news after reading many posts about bad bank experiences.

HH,
NG

Upvote 0

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Navyguy...good luck with the boxes. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? Being Navy myself, just wondering how close you are.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this might just become a navy thread, beaches I leave September 18 for basic and then I go to Texas to MAA A school. Does the navy fed order boxes?

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the navy fed order boxes?

In my experience some will and some won't. Overall I've found them to be more accomodating than the big banks like BoA, WF, etc. I love ordering from them when I can, but many branches also have great coin machines for dumping, so it can be a dilema, since I don't like to dump where I eat.

OP
OP
N

Navyguy

Greenie
Jan 20, 2012
Chicago
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quartes from the crw's are done and it was a total skunk. Kind of figured that would happen, but you still have to try. The dimes that were customer wrapped produced a 1901 and a 1964. The nickels didn't have anything great, but I did find a 40 and 41 I needed for a book. Just started on the pennies and still have a lot more to go through.

@ coincrwlin- I am up in Great Lakes.

@ sleazyj- good luck at boot camp! I retire next month and will probably work on the base still. When your at the pool look for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread