2 in 1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 792
Upvote 0

piratesgold

Apr 29, 2008
CT
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I should start by telling you that I know nothing...

But "2.5 cents tokens" must date to the time that the US used "half cents" which hasn't been since, I believe, the 1840s -ish.

Hope that helps.
Lucky

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the idea was a brilliant one--you bought something that cost 2 1/2 cents, and gave them a nickel.  They gave you back a token for the change--but the token could only be redeemed at their business.  So although you only wanted one thing, you ended up buying two--and then folks didn't always bring the tokens back in to redeem the other amount, so the businesses racked up even more. 

Pretty interesting scheme, which is mainly responsible for those fractions of a cent appearing on tokens.

I don't know anything about this token, but I thought I'd clarify the date range--Late 1800s/early 1900s. 

Regards,

Buckles

W57

Aug 17, 2008
Possibly be connected, or have some relation to, Van Buren, Arkansas?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no money because his cash was most likely "company credits"-

- lots of folks in the old days worked at "company owned bussiness's towns "--which meant the company controlled their lives --- common with coal and tumber towns --- the company owned everything ***the company owned "your" home --a house you were forced to "rent" to get a job there --and you had to shop at the company owned store (which charged "inflated prices" -- money was company script and tokens -- you never got "real" cash thus you could not save up any money to move on and get away --(once in you were "trapped")

with the invention of the income tax the the US Govt -- told these slave driver companies that they had to pay their employees wages in cash money-- no more company money or chit wages --so that the workers could now pay the US Govt their income tax in "cash"------ the owners cleared their books the day before the law went into effect--- paying off all debts owed with "company" money --which they then refused to change into "real" money and they jacked the prices sky high in their store to redeem the company money for goods -- thus the workers had to pay their taxes with their "new cash money" while still being trapped with the old near useless company store money --many people in disgust slung the chits against the company store walls outside the stores and some even burnt some of the stores down at night in protest.(when no one could see em)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Actually, the idea was a brilliant one--you bought something that cost 2 1/2 cents, and gave them a nickel. They gave you back a token for the change--but the token could only be redeemed at their business. So although you only wanted one thing, you ended up buying two--and then folks didn't always bring the tokens back in to redeem the other amount, so the businesses racked up even more.

Pretty interesting scheme, which is mainly responsible for those fractions of a cent appearing on tokens.

I don't know anything about this token, but I thought I'd clarify the date range--Late 1800s/early 1900s.

Regards,

Buckles

all this is reminiscent of the 17th century brass farthings we find in the UK. They were illegal but the Govt turned a blind eye (and even encouraged), as they couldn't afford to produce small change. They only difference with the above was that these tokens could only be used when you had a number of them, hence the expression 'its not worth a brass farthing'.

This thread includes some interesting snippets of social history which we never seem to learn from.

Long live capitalism :'(

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
First off I wanted to thank Animal for sharing his cool finds, and the others for sharing info on "the company store" and stuff I didn't know. I love to read the posts on this site because I learn so much. To all -"Happy Hunting"

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
nice tokens

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Wow what an interesting thread of posts here about tokens, thanks animal for sharing your finds.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice looking tokens. Love them all. There are so many varieties, shapes and sizes to be found. Your are really nice 2 1/2 cents. That's a good one in my book

OP
OP
animal

animal

Aug 18, 2007
arlington texas
Detector(s) used
ace 250, Garrett GTI 2500 and Minelab Excalibur 800
Thank all you guys for your responds and research. Some times i feel like when i post something some people would think oh hes waisting our time but time and time again you guys and gals respond with child like ( a smart child) interest and enthusiasm.I watched this site for a while be for ever posting and was impressed by all the quick Witt, the major research and knowledge from all you. All I can say is you guys rock! I recommend this site to anybody I talk to about treasure hunting or metal detectors and allways will! ROCK ON!

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2 and a half cent tokens are cool, in my area there were alot of pool halls that would charge 2 and half cents to rent a pool cue, you would give them a nickle and get a token in return to be used on your next visit!!

Attachments

• token2.JPG
    token2.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 244

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Finds, I always love to find tokens. They make for a good showing in a display case and some of them are very valuable.

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread