2 items found today

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
2 items found today

I dug these items today along with a ladies compact and ladies coat button.
Item # 1 is a copper or brass tag with the date 1931 and the letters "W.S.C.&f.Co".anyone have an idea what these letters mean?
Item #2 is a dog tag from Red Bay,Ala.,when did the services stop using the teeth notch?

I got real excited about the 1931 tag because I have found a C.S.A. button in this yard.I was hoping for a confederate soldiers I.D. tag,but still a nice find.

Upvote 0

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 2 items found today

Just playing devil's advocate, I wonder if the 1931 isn't a date but just a number. It could be a claim tag like a railroad luggage tag. Could the W.S.C.&f.Co be railroad-related?

Kent

OP
OP
downindixie

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama

I have tried looking locally for these iniatials with no results.The F could stand for foundry,which we had a lot of in this area.Stage coach is normally spelled as one word when I did a google for it.Most google results were for a certain area as Texas or western coach lines.I have not be able to find a national registery for stagecoach lines.Finding this item locally,of course does not mean a local item and makes the scearching difficult,but will keep trying.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250

I think I may have found a connection for your dog tag.? I searched "Rayford B. Johnson" and came up with a funeral home record listing Rayford B. Johnson, 1920- Nov 6,1957, born in Alabama.? It also lists his father as "B.R. Johnson" which matches the next of kin on your tag.? He is listed as being buried in Anniston, Alabama.? Here's the link, the info is about 1/4 down just before the California header:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~somary/death.html

Based on the tag makeup, it is from the 1941-1943 period.? The first number 1 indicates he was regular Army, the second number 4 indicates the Third Army, Fourth Corps area (Alabama included).? I'm having a little trouble with the rest of the serial, it doesn't seem to match up with my source.? The T41 is the tetamus immunization info, and the O/P is the blood type (O+).? The "B.R. Johnson" is his next of kin, living in Red Bay, Alabama.? Source:

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/dogtags_serial.htm

I ran into a wall trying to get any further than the tag owner so far. Interestingly enough, there is another "Rayford B. Johnson" who is also a veteran, though of the Korean war. He died at the age of 70 in 2000 in Augusta, GA.

Addendum: I found another source that lists the T41 as tetanus with a year of 1941, so you most certainly have a WWII Pearl Harbor timeframe dog tag. Nice find, and in great condition.

OP
OP
downindixie

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama

You guys are just great at working hard & smart at finding information.Thank you.
The water seal clamp and flange could poss be right I will try to google for information,I do believe it is an old item.
The dog tag info is wonderful and all falls into place.The only thing I would question is that his blood type being positive.I believe that the line that the P is on is used for religious preference.Anyway I will relay this information to the owner of the yard.
This yard has been very productive when I first detected it over 13 years ago when I found a CSA button and loads of silver.
Again thanks alot!

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250

You're absolutely correct on the "P", that is the religion line, the "O" is the blood type by itself. I just did a quick glance and misread. Your most welcome, hopefully the property owner will enjoy the info as well. Keep on hunting, looks like you definately have a great spot!

OP
OP
downindixie

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama

Thru the help of one our member I was able to locate the daughter of Rayford Johnson,who lives in Louisanna.One of her local relative contacted me.They came by an the dog tag was turned over to him to be sent to the daughter.See email sent to me below.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jimmy,

I just wanted to thank you so much for giving my dad the dog tag yesterday.
I talked with my cousin and she was thrilled about it. I think it is a
special connection to her father. She couldn't wait to tell her sister.
They were small girls when their father died and they didn't really have
many memories of him. I will mail it to her today.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's nice to make people happy and Oh yes thank you to Mr Barney Wilson for alerting me.See his initial contact with me below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just registered on to TreasureNet in order to follow up on the dog Tag you found on Rayford B Johnson. Some of the follow up you received from other members indicated that Mr. Johnson died in 1957 and is buried in Anniston, Alabama. Actually he is buried in Oxford, Alabama which is the neighboring city. I am friends of his family and would like to see if we could return your dog tag to the family. Since I am new to this format, let me know how we can go about this. thanks,

Barney R Wilson

F

Floater

That my friends is one great story. My friends kid me about wanting to get into this hobby and I always tell them when I find your lost ring you will be glad I did but you just cant relate this kind of story without reading it . Those kids deserved a part of there Father and A THer did it. Way to go and congratulations.

David

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice digs there!

Love the older tags,

can you show a pic of the compact?

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250

Outstanding! That's two great found stories in the past 24 hours. Keep up the great work!

R

rvbvetter

Probably not, but the first and last letter make me think Wells Fargo. I've seen earlier articles of theirs and they say Wells Fargo Co. Maybe at the beginning it was Wells, Sanders, Gaylord & Fargo Co. Naaah probably not.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was a great find, and an even better return story. The only thing better than finding something of interest like that is returning to someone to whom it means the world. After watching all the bad news on CNN earlier, reading this story really made my day. You are a true good samaritan Dixie!! Remember, what you give comes back to you two-fold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread