2 questions?

Jeff.L

Dec 8, 2011
Port Of Pittsburgh PA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC & Garrett Pinpoint Pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
1st I Upgraded from a cheap-o model that my wife bought for the beach one year to an E-track, she is just as enthusiastic about metal detecting as I am, but we have a bit of detector envy going on, LOL. I an having a bit of a learning process going on, so she seems to think the E-track is too complex for her. She saw a Whites commercial and likes the one that pretty much tells you what's in the ground, Quarter, a ring etc. I had seen a video demo on a Garrett GTI 2500 and was pretty impressed, any Input would be appreciated.

2nd is, come spring/ summer I would like to doing some detecting around river banks from my fishing boat if I'm able to rig my machine, then simply use a dredge method to suck up all the rewards. The river levels in and around Pittsburgh from the locks and dams being built over the years have rose something like 25 feet. Mine lab says that the E-track is submersible down to about 3 meters I believe.
I can E-mail ML the same question but does anyone know if there are longer cords available that would go from the coil to the control box, and would the extended length effect the performance /signal from the coil to the control box? I would like to be able to get out as deep as maybe 6-8 ft deep. I'm a machinist by trade so making a longer pole from pvc or delrin plastic to attach the coil is not a problem.

Upvote 0

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't answer your first question due to lack of experience.

As to your second question, unless there has been some radical design change I was never told about, if you put put your ETrac's control box 1 inch underwater you can kiss it good-bye. It is not waterproof and you will fry your components immediately.

Did I misundertstand you? Are you referring to the coil only on a long cord going down 3 meters?

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff.L said:
1st I Upgraded from a cheap-o model that my wife bought for the beach one year to an E-track, she is just as enthusiastic about metal detecting as I am, but we have a bit of detector envy going on, LOL. I an having a bit of a learning process going on, so she seems to think the E-track is too complex for her. She saw a Whites commercial and likes the one that pretty much tells you what's in the ground, Quarter, a ring etc. I had seen a video demo on a Garrett GTI 2500 and was pretty impressed, any Input would be appreciated.

2nd is, come spring/ summer I would like to doing some detecting around river banks from my fishing boat if I'm able to rig my machine, then simply use a dredge method to suck up all the rewards. The river levels in and around Pittsburgh from the locks and dams being built over the years have rose something like 25 feet. Mine lab says that the E-track is submersible down to about 3 meters I believe.
I can E-mail ML the same question but does anyone know if there are longer cords available that would go from the coil to the control box, and would the extended length effect the performance /signal from the coil to the control box? I would like to be able to get out as deep as maybe 6-8 ft deep. I'm a machinist by trade so making a longer pole from pvc or delrin plastic to attach the coil is not a problem.

I would be curious to see where they say this.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The E-Trac (there is no K in it) is NOT submersible to any depth. Drop it in a puddle and you could fry it for good.

If you want a waterproof detector, get one made for water hunting.

If you believe everything you see in commercials, I have a bridge to sell you in New York. Just because a detector puts up an image of a quarter doesn't make it any better than any other detector. Decide what you want to hunt for, and where you want to hunt it, then come asking questions about what works well in that situation.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That seems like a wild idea. The best setup I can imagine for that would be an old Fisher Pulse 8 with a long cord going thru a peace of PVC tubing. The pulse induction unit would go deep and pick up anything. Any loss on the longer cable would be unnoticeable. The suction dredge would work great and you could also use strong magnet to pick up large iron/steel objects. Check on the regulations that apply to dredge use in your area before you start. Frank

OP
OP
Jeff.L

Jeff.L

Dec 8, 2011
Port Of Pittsburgh PA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
LOL...sorry if you guys misunderstood me, Just the coil under water the user and control box dry. The cord now on then E-Trac is a curly one that pretty much when you have your E-trac extended all the way I'm starting to feel tension on it. It could be getting bound in the tube due to the tight fit but it isn't going much further. If you would take your machine apart, the control box mounted in a boat or say a strap around your neck, then if you had a cord say maybe 15 feet long for a bit of slack and attached your coil on to a long pole, "wammo" diving deep.

I doubt that the cord is anything proprietary, all you would need is the right fittings and gauge wire, but I'm not sure about the accuracy of the signal through the extra long cable from the coil to the control box, but it works on ROV'S....at least on TV it does.

oop's apologise about the "K"

OP
OP
Jeff.L

Jeff.L

Dec 8, 2011
Port Of Pittsburgh PA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frankn said:
That seems like a wild idea. The best setup I can imagine for that would be an old Fisher Pulse 8 with a long cord going thru a peace of PVC tubing. The pulse induction unit would go deep and pick up anything. Any loss on the longer cable would be unnoticeable. The suction dredge would work great and you could also use strong magnet to pick up large iron/steel objects. Check on the regulations that apply to dredge use in your area before you start. Frank

Just think how much stuff on land is coverd up by water from dams etc. I have been fishing already with a strong rare earth magnet in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread