2000 jefferson nickel head & tail on both side error????PLEASE HELP...PHOTO

turbo500

Mar 26, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Titan 2000-XD
2000 jefferson nickel head & tail on both side error????PLEASE HELP...PHOTO

Hi everyone,

I found the 2000 5c jefferson nickel that head and tail on both side, one side head on top and the buliding upside down inside out on the bottom, one side the buliding on the top and jefferson head upside down inside out on the bottom, some of the word also the same , if anyone know what kind of the error of this coin, please let me know, and what's the worst?

please check the photo of the coin.

Thank you

turbo500

Attachments

• jefferson005.JPG
    jefferson005.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,596
  • jefferson006.JPG
    jefferson006.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,283

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Re: 2000 jefferson nickel head & tail on both side error????PLEASE HELP...PHOTO

I've been looking around trying to find an answer for you, but I'm really just not sure about this coin. It's not a double strike, because one of the strikes is upside-down. I'm thinking in might be a squeeze-job, which is done post-mint. However, I will try to find out a definite answer for you.

-Paul

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

n_sandler4 said:
I've been looking around trying to find an answer for you, but I'm really just not sure about this coin. It's not a double strike, because one of the strikes is upside-down. I'm thinking in might be a squeeze-job, which is done post-mint. However, I will try to find out a definite answer for you.

-Paul
Not post mint shenanigans. If you look at the obverse, Monticello has been struck under Jefferson's bust.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL

Well, that's the thing that was throwing me off too, but according to four others on the PCGS message boards, it is indeed a vice job. :-\

-Paul

af1733 said:
n_sandler4 said:

-Paul
Not post mint shenanigans. If you look at the obverse, Monticello has been struck under Jefferson's bust.

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL

Well, I'm positive if he's correct, but I have had one pretty respected member of the PCGS board tell me that this coin is actually genuine, and is a coin with SEVERE clashing. In fact, he stated it was the most heavily clashed coin known (apparently there are more like the one you found)

I'll let you know if I confirm this.

-Paul

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

WOW ~ in my opinion its genuine ~ it's a very dramatic example of a clashed die error!

Basically what happened was that the dies hit together (struck eachother) ~ during the minting process, for some reason a planchet didn't get fed into the coining chamber and the die slammed together ~ transfering design images from the obverse die on to the reverse die, and vice versa.

Clashed dies aren't usually that rare or dramatic. But this example is EXTREME!! I don't think I've seen such an extreme example ~ and I've been buying & selling error coins for 15 years! Even so, this coin wouldn't be worth a lot of money ~ it's just a great example of that type of error.

NICE FIND!!!

Here's my error coin web site:

http://community.webtv.net/oddcoins/NeilMcElroyspagefor

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,

I like how a die clash is the answer to this coin. If the dies clashed and the image was transferred the the result on the coin would be reversed lettering and images. this coin has correct lettering and images. I stand by what I said in the other post that this is the end product of the coin being stuck in the bin after the first batch was emptied and the bin refilled with blanks. When the blanks were dumped back into the system this coin was stamped for the second time.

Joe

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL

Joe, look closer. The underlying letters and images ARE reversed. Look on the reverse of the coin, at about 8 o' clock. There you can see "2000 P" but reversed. This is from the clash of "2000 P" from 4 o' clock on the obverse. Just because the dies were clashed, it doesn't mean the original design in the die is completely reversed. Rather, both images show up, with the clashes usually being much less extreme than on this coin.

-Paul

mtntrekr2 said:
I like how a die clash is the answer to this coin. If the dies clashed and the image was transferred the the result on the coin would be reversed lettering and images. this coin has correct lettering and images. I stand by what I said in the other post that this is the end product of the coin being stuck in the bin after the first batch was emptied and the bin refilled with blanks. When the blanks were dumped back into the system this coin was stamped for the second time.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread