May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my last day off as I return to work tomorrow (after an extended X-Mas Holiday :wink: ). Thankfully there was a break in the wet & very windy weather. I'm glad I didn't try yesterday, as the only road/lane to the field had a huge tree blown across it (cut & cleared now), must have been yesterday which would have blocked my way back with the bike. :o
I spent 4 hours on my own continuing the rather difficult land I started to grid recently. I was having a bad few hours & my mind was dreaming up a likely good find from this field, the best I was hoping for was a complete Medieval Buckle. You never expect a Gold Coin but it was furthest from my mind & I had no clues that this field was going to do anything this good :o It's taken Dad & I over 2 years to find another Gold Coin, but I'm so glad 2012 is made already, so the pressure is off for the rest of the year :laughing7:

Other finds of the day:
4 Scrappy Roman Coins
2 Lead Tokens
Tudor Clothes Fastener (Rose)
Leather Mount (circa 17th C) – Man in the moon & star to right
17th C Lead Cap (powder flask)

There are less than 50 Recorded examples of this type :headbang:
Celtic Gold Quarter Stater
CUNOBELINE
AD10-20AD
Wild Type Horse Right

Corn Ear
VA-1935.01
CA[MV]
Minted - Camulodunum (Colchester)

Let me tell you, I was so pleased with the coin, it got a Rex Hunt Kiss (but no throwing back) :laughing9: :blob8:

My first ever Celtic Gold Coin (some years ago) was this very same type, however it was a full Stater & this is a Quarter. So now I have the full set 8) - I pictured it next to my first coin to show how much smaller this one is :icon_thumright:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Celtic-Catuvellauni-gold-quarter-stater-Wild-type-/120696388043
See one listed for sale above.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 4,925
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 4,693
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 6,409
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 6,411
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 4,748
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4,807
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 4,856
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 4,809
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 4,801
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 4,833
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 4,843
Upvote 8

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 2000 YEAR OLD GOLD COIN...

I see your back up top.Well deserved!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DMN said:
CRUSADER said:
DMN said:
Have to say Crusader, your persistence pays off. And what a nice way to clear that melancholy feeling when you have a handful of nothing!
Congrats to you. Hope they don't define it as "treasure". It would be nice for you to keep it rather than wait a year or so and then never see again be cause it went to catalogue in the British Museum.

No, I'm fine. single gold or silver coins do not count on there own. Plus I have gridded past the 'close proximity' clause, if I find another. :icon_thumright: It's mine, although the landowner will be shown & justly rewarded. :)
One more reason why you have the tremendous opportunities with the fields...you show your integrity time and again. Keep them coming and find the mother lode. It would be fun to see you in the history books in high profile!

Thanks, I like to contribute to the History Books but never liked the high profile angle :P

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Gorgeous golden find!!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN said:
Congratulations of finding gold yet again Cru! :notworthy:

The only drawback . . . not having your Dad there to share it with eh! :thumbsup:

Cheers mate! :icon_thumright:
Dave

That is true, no Cru & Cru'dad chicken dances this time. Maybe I will get another chance, but like I proved they can never be expected, only hoped for & not where you think they are likely :thumbsup:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cru, really sweeet gold coin; congrats! :thumbsup: Breezie

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FREAKIN SWEET FIND!!!!! BANNER!!!!!!!

surfshark

Apr 8, 2010
SW Fla
Detector(s) used
Garret Seahunter II/Bountyhunter/trident

Great finds best of the year,by the way big trees have been there a long time did you detect the root ball? Hal

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

surfshark said:
Great finds best of the year,by the way big trees have been there a long time did you detect the root ball? Hal
Not many trees around in a ploughed field apart from a couple on the edge. When we do a field we detect every bit of it, so if there is a tree in the way, it gets detected :wink:

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on yet another beautiful gold coin! Thats a beautiful pony! :hello2: :blob7:

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crusader every thing I wanted to say about your find has probably already been said therefore three words congratulations banner omg

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet find :icon_thumleft:

Great finds dont come easy :nono:

That is one thing i learned about this hobby..

The more i kill myself out there the better finds i get :D
More like hard work but thats why alot of people dont stick with it..More treasure for us :icon_sunny:

You hunt alot of fields do you have like a 36" coil :laughing7:

Blaze

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! They actually minted coins that small? I bet they were easy to lose. ;D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay Slayer said:
Wow! They actually minted coins that small? I bet they were easy to lose. ;D
and a bit smaller, although the Roman hold the record for the smallest in the UK in the late 4th C. :icon_thumright:

There was no monetary system in the Celtic backwater of Britain, so no normal need to carry them around & lose them. Offering (mostly) or payment to mercenaries - which I guess meant some were carried over sea to spend in Europe.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,357

Celtic

Mar 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a couple of years but maybe you help identify my stater coin better..

Today was my last day off as I return to work tomorrow (after an extended X-Mas Holiday :wink: ). Thankfully there was a break in the wet & very windy weather. I'm glad I didn't try yesterday, as the only road/lane to the field had a huge tree blown across it (cut & cleared now), must have been yesterday which would have blocked my way back with the bike. :o
I spent 4 hours on my own continuing the rather difficult land I started to grid recently. I was having a bad few hours & my mind was dreaming up a likely good find from this field, the best I was hoping for was a complete Medieval Buckle. You never expect a Gold Coin but it was furthest from my mind & I had no clues that this field was going to do anything this good :o It's taken Dad & I over 2 years to find another Gold Coin, but I'm so glad 2012 is made already, so the pressure is off for the rest of the year :laughing7:

Other finds of the day:
4 Scrappy Roman Coins
2 Lead Tokens
Tudor Clothes Fastener (Rose)
Leather Mount (circa 17th C) – Man in the moon & star to right
17th C Lead Cap (powder flask)

There are less than 50 Recorded examples of this type :headbang:
Celtic Gold Quarter Stater
CUNOBELINE
AD10-20AD
Wild Type Horse Right

Corn Ear
VA-1935.01
CA[MV]
Minted - Camulodunum (Colchester)

Let me tell you, I was so pleased with the coin, it got a Rex Hunt Kiss (but no throwing back) :laughing9: :blob8:

My first ever Celtic Gold Coin (some years ago) was this very same type, however it was a full Stater & this is a Quarter. So now I have the full set 8) - I pictured it next to my first coin to show how much smaller this one is :icon_thumright:
Celtic Catuvellauni gold quarter stater "Wild type" | eBay
See one listed for sale above.

Hey,

May you or another member of the forums can help me better identify a British Celtic Stater I bought 15 years ago when I lived Zurich. It was due to go up for auction by the UBS Branch on Bahnoffstrasse but I paid the ask price and it never went up for auction.

I know only that it is Celtic and from about the time of Christ. I think it was found in southern Great Britain. Maybe even it was one of you on these forums that originally found it?

I would like to know what the coin says on the reverse, when or about when it was struck and by whom, and where it was found before being sold if anyone recognises the coin.

Thanks very much.

Ciao 1620733_10204247744568477_5235811171613233544_n.jpg 1654470_10204247716647779_1858136905021473404_n.jpg

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

May you or another member of the forums can help me better identify a British Celtic Stater I bought 15 years ago when I lived Zurich. It was due to go up for auction by the UBS Branch on Bahnoffstrasse but I paid the ask price and it never went up for auction.

I know only that it is Celtic and from about the time of Christ. I think it was found in southern Great Britain. Maybe even it was one of you on these forums that originally found it?

I would like to know what the coin says on the reverse, when or about when it was struck and by whom, and where it was found before being sold if anyone recognises the coin.

Thanks very much.

Ciao View attachment 1130057 View attachment 1130056

Welcome to Tnet & thanks for dredging up an old good memory. Its no probs to give you an ID for that lovely Qrter Stater, you are lucky that it is well centred on both sides, this is what the top collectors want.

In the most recent book its 'VERY RARE' & 26 were recorded on the old CCI.
It was traditionally classified as Kentish (Kent is a County), but now thought to be part of the Celleva coinage.
Gold Quarter Stater
Ruler - EPPILLUS circa 20BC -1AD
Rev: EPPIL . COM F
Obv: Winged Pegasus

Spink 2015 prices it at:
Fine - Β£135
Very Fine - Β£375
As yours is a well centred Ex Fine, its hard to guess the price.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread