oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today 17th Jan it was extremely cold but otherwise very bracing ,Decided to try the field that produced the Woad Grinder and the new type Roman Brooch from last week , but the 1st time a signal was received l realized the frost had made the ground so hard that it was impossible to dig !! So l almost called it a day. But as l had made the effort to travel several miles to the farm l decided on another approach , the adjoining field was still stubble from around six months ago and had quite a bit of weed growth and l thought it would be much easier , which proved to be the case, so l had about 3 hours or so on that. And am l glad l did..
This years 1st GOLD coin a beauty. and 4 days sooner into the year than last year. Hutch.:hello2:

Attachments

• w877.jpg
    w877.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,316
  • w878.jpg
    w878.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,162
Upvote 55

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find that is a beauty :headbang: Jim

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible find my friend! The design on the Celtic coins intrigues me. Though I'll probably never find one, would love to read a good reference book on them that explains their history and shows color pics of the various known examples. Does anyone have any recommendation on a good book? I would love to learn what the different abstract design elements mean--I'm sure they all were put there for a reason and these coins are so different that the later Roman currency. Congrats on the well deserved banner!

Best, Erik

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find my friend! The design on the Celtic coins intrigues me. Though I'll probably never find one, would love to read a good reference book on them that explains their history and shows color pics of the various known examples. Does anyone have any recommendation on a good book? I would love to learn what the different abstract design elements mean--I'm sure they all were put there for a reason and these coins are so different that the later Roman currency. Congrats on the well deserved banner!

Best, Erik
:thumbsup: Celtic Coin Books

SS

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making BANNER! Your find really stands out up there. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Best, Erik

Try looking at some of these Erik:: celtic coins click on gallery. celtic coins especially the goldones are facinating... Hutch.

Last edited:

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today 17th Jan it was extremely cold but otherwise very bracing ,Decided to try the field that produced the Woad Grinder and the new type Roman Brooch from last week , but the 1st time a signal was received l realized the frost had made the ground so hard that it was impossible to dig !! So l almost called it a day. But as l had made the effort to travel several miles to the farm l decided on another approach , the adjoining field was still stubble from around six months ago and had quite a bit of weed growth and l thought it would be much easier , which proved to be the case, so l had about 3 hours or so on that. And am l glad l did..
This years 1st GOLD coin a beauty. and 4 days sooner into the year than last year. Hutch.:hello2:

Nice find Hutch,congrats on a fast start to the new year......

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the well deserved Banner. !:notworthy:

ilyes1113

Sep 3, 2008
constantina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
cscope x3.fisher f5.garrett2500+eagle aye.ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like celtic coins .as nice as old .

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can anyone explain the motif on this coin? I think I see a rising/setting run at 6 oclock on the first pic. Are they flowers? or trees?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone explain the motif on this coin? I think I see a rising/setting run at 6 oclock on the first pic. Are they flowers? or trees?

The first picture is a Horse over a star. The Obverse is Apollo's head.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is truly an incredibly beautiful, remarkable find!! Nicely done!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The official description is::Celtic Iron Age, Corieltauvi. South Ferriby Type uninscribed Circa 45 - 10 BC. Gold Stater:
5.7gram. Celticized Head of Appollo (mainly the wreath)
reverse. Disjointed Horse to Left. with 8 pointed Star below. Anchor shape and Pellets above. VanArsdell 811- 5.
..... l can see the Horse and Star and Pellets :: but can never see Appollos head. Hope that helps... Hutch.

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l would like to thank everyone for there nice comments and banner votes: Hutch.

Marko0916

May 8, 2012
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Excal.II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sparx said:
School me, why does it sell for less than scrap weight?

Seems like all coins are pretty much worthless in value, gold and silver weight is all that matters. Or if some so called misprint is on a certain coin it's worth millions. It's stupid

If I ever find old ones I would just hold on to it, prob pick it up everyday. Nothing beats finding it and thinking about how when who dropped it.

Sparx

Jan 29, 2013
Dunkirk, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like all coins are pretty much worthless in value, gold and silver weight is all that matters. Or if some so called misprint is on a certain coin it's worth millions. It's stupid

If I ever find old ones I would just hold on to it, prob pick it up everyday. Nothing beats finding it and thinking about how when who dropped it.

But if it's weight is 5.7 onces (see below) and gold is over $1,00.00/ounce why is it's value WAY less than that?

"The official description is::Celtic Iron Age, Corieltauvi. South Ferriby Type uninscribed Circa 45 - 10 BC. Gold Stater:
5.7gram. Celticized Head of Appollo (mainly the wreath)
reverse. Disjointed Horse to Left. with 8 pointed Star below. Anchor shape and Pellets above. VanArsdell 811- 5.
..... l can see the Horse and Star and Pellets :: but can never see Appollos head. Hope that helps... Hutch."

joesdigs

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surely that coin would fetch triple it's scrap value in a collector auction.... Just a thought.. It's fricken awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread