Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2007's 1st Picnic Grove Hunt and a sweet coin

Hi all,
It has been a long time since I posted any good finds. I haven't been out much this year. Been dealing with a bad back and a broken finger.

I have this picnic grove by me that I have hunted many times over a 3 years period. I have been the only one who has ever M D it. It's 3 1/2 acres. I wish I could hunt it anytime but permission is granted periodically but that is fine with me because when I do hunt it, the site has never let me down when it comes to silver. Many of nice finds have come out of the ground here and this Pretty Lady is just 1 more to add to the many others.
I Just walked onto the property and fired up the XLT did my little tweeking and started swinging. Got a signal within a few sweeps and pinpointed the target at 3 inches, dug my plug, probed the hole and located The Lady. In less then a minute I had her.
3 hours later I had 11 Wheaties dating from 1916 to 1936 and .82 cents and a handful of junk.

I have only 2 silver coins so far this year, both Barber Dimes, a 1916 and now a 1900
Thanks for looking DPSB

Attachments

• 1900 dime 4-17-07 001.jpg
    1900 dime 4-17-07 001.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 929
  • 1900 dime 4-17-07 002.jpg
    1900 dime 4-17-07 002.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 924
Upvote 0
B

BIG61AL

Re: 2007's 1st Picnic Grove Hunt and a sweet coin

SWEET! i grade it just a tiny hair below UNC, just the tinyest of wear, slight tone problem on obverse, very light minor scratches on reverse ...... i would not bid less than $60 in an auction. That is one great coin!

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

I am waiting for the day that I find something this nice !! I found a dime and a penny but they were not old :'(

AxeMan

Mar 10, 2007
Lombard, IL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II

Great find! Not out to steal your location, and please don’t give it out, but is that Forest Preserve Property? I drive through the area quite a bit and don’t recall any “Picnic Grounds” in the area that are not Forest Preserve. I thought Cook County was “off limits” You got a contact with the county letting you in? Get that back and finger into shape and go for it, get permission again and hunt that baby out! Good luck and again great find.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Love those Barbers!!!

WTG!

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois

Shoot Bob!! That is one nice coin. Way to go man. Keep it up.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow Bob,
That is one extremely fine looking dime, not much wear and tear on that one.
Hey I'm still looking forward to hunting with you soon.
With the wife, kids, and job you know how busy we get.
I haven't been out all week and I am anxious to go soon...hopefully this weekend.

Hope your broken finger heals quick, you don't appear like it handicapped you, because the evidence is in what you dug.

Good going!!! ;D
Have a great week.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one sharp barber. 8) Congrats to you Bob.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

very nice barber, looks like a great place to look for more , goodluck

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet find, Bob. Kudos to you!

;) RR

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AxeMan said:
Great find! Not out to steal your location, and please don’t give it out, but is that Forest Preserve Property? I drive through the area quite a bit and don’t recall any “Picnic Grounds” in the area that are not Forest Preserve. I thought Cook County was “off limits” You got a contact with the county letting you in? Get that back and finger into shape and go for it, get permission again and hunt that baby out! Good luck and again great find.
All private property fenced in and locked up thats why I am granted permission from time to time..Hoping to get out there at least a dozen more times this year. Thanks for looking.
Axeman since your so close we should get together sometime during the season.

AND................... THANKS ALL FOR THE REPLIES DPSB

AxeMan

Mar 10, 2007
Lombard, IL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II

Thanks for the invite, but April - Oct we go camping every weekend. I have a year round campsite there, and that's also where I been doing most of my hunting. The campgrounds have been there for 20 years, because of the local weather hunt time has been limited since we took the kids there on spring break when I fond $6.00 in clad, no silver. Going this weekend but hunt time is going to be limited again, we bought a new Trailer for our site last week and it being set up this week. So we have a lot to clean and set up. You got your special place and I have mine, it's only a matter of time before I pull something out of the camp grounds. Thanks again for the invite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread