2009 Total hours using your detector

littledmac

Greenie
Oct 20, 2009
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x aquanaut/Bounty Hunter Tracker ID 505
Just curious to see approximately how many hours would you say you spend detecting in 2009. Also you can give some figures of what you found in those hours if you wish.

I only spent about 12 hours total for the year, because I didn't start detecting until April of last year and did not have a lot of free time. This year I will at least triple to quadruple that figure, I hope. All my finds were while beach hunting where I live in NC. (Outer Banks)

I found
29 pennies
5 nickles
10 dimes
6 quarters
22k gold ring
pair of prescription eyegalsses
and lots of junk

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
somewhere between 100-150 hours
i found too much stuff to list it all, but it was worth it

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally about 50 hours a month. This year I was layed off for three months and those months around 200 per month, mostly water hunting. I guess that works out to around 1050 hours. Found 18 1/4 Large cents, 5 Civil War Tokens, 10 seated coins, a couple of Shield and V nickles. Lots of Indian heads, Wheats, Clad and junk.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hundreds. maybe over a thousand.

OP
OP
littledmac

littledmac

Greenie
Oct 20, 2009
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
WOW That is a lot of Hours you guys search. I feel my puny amount of hours doesn't compare, but at least I did find a Gold ring, so it makes me feel a little better. I don't know how you guys find the time, but I work full time and have a 6 year old and an 19 month old that take up a lot of my free time, plus a frame off restoration I am trying to do on my 1969 Ford Galaxie, along with home repairs and a duplex rental I own, with a whole other set of repairs, tenant complaints and so on. I seem like I am always busy. Wish I could go as much as you guys!

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
littledmac,

Working full time and taking care of a family has its priority's and it looks like you have a full plate.

Years ago I would be lucky to get 10 to 20 hours in a year. I am retired with a empty nest now so swinging a detector is my job, so to speak.

Enjoy your family time and swing when you can, down the road you will look back fondly on the years as you spend countless hours swinging a detector lost in your own thoughts.

OIIIIIO
() ()
Jeep

S

seger98

Tough question to answer, gotta be well over 2000 hours! I guess I should start keeping track of that.

OP
OP
littledmac

littledmac

Greenie
Oct 20, 2009
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Jeep,

Thanks for the comments. I actually make it family time with my 6 year old son when I detect. I have never gone without him. He is my digger and I just bought him a pinpointer. My other boy will go with me when he is old enough. I really should try to go more, because I have the beach so close. The whole family sometimes goes in the summer. I know I will go more this year. I also have 2 co workers who now have bought detectors and will have friends to come along as well. My family definately comes first, before detecting, but when I can involve them in it, that just makes it better!

Snowman, that is a pretty good return on the hours spent I'd say. I think it is interesting to see what good stuff has been found and the amount of hours spent trying to find it. Lets keep the estimates coming!

Thanks for all who have commented

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was laid off all year so I hunted about 35 hours a week.........gotta be close to 2000 hours this year

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeep said:
Between 3,000 to 7,000 hours.
3000 hours in a year would be 57 hours a week or 8.1 hours a day

7000 hours in a year would be 134 hours in a week or 19.1 hours a day
do you sleep?.....lol

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
Jeep said:
Between 3,000 to 7,000 hours.
3000 hours in a year would be 57 hours a week or 8.1 hours a day

7000 hours in a year would be 134 hours in a week or 19.1 hours a day
do you sleep?.....lol

The old never sleep, we just nap when we want. ;D

It's a guest-A-mite, Not quite sure because I don't have an hour meter on my butt

When I am off in the wild, wild, west I spend a lot of time day and night with the detector

At home I spend the day and some evenings combined, hunting or researching so the hours add up.

If you count time as actual swinging then the hours would be lower of course or I would need a Bionic arm.

When I think of detecting I include all activities related to the pursuit of treasure.

Hope that clears it up.

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
I started around mid to late March til last of Dec.
Places hunted mostly hunted parks, fairground, schools. Kids yard and some old homesites where I mostly found old relics.
Hours hunted around 225.
Days 72
Quarters 75 18.75
Dimes 118 11.80
Nickels 24 1.20
Pennies 495 4.95
-------------------------------------------------
Total 712 $36.70

Silver
Mercury Dimes -- 3 -- .30
Rosey - 2 -- .20
Others