2010 = 1 silver per 8.3 boxes for me!!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I know a lot of you guys, especially "youse guys" from the east, get disappointed when you get two skunks in a row. But out here, in the west, it has been DRY for silver for a LONG time. This year, I hit halves HARD and backed away from the pennies for a while. I kept ordering boxes, and kept going through them. I'd go 16 boxes with no silver at times. My great boxes were ones that gave me 2 or 3 silvers, and they were RARE. But I persevered. I was setting my table, and getting the banks used to me getting all their halves. THAT has paid off, even if the boxes have not. I many times came in to order or pick up halves and they had not only the $500 or $1,000 in boxes for me, but maybe $6 more that they put aside for me that came in over the past week or so since I had been there. Just ones that came in during their day, but they kept them for ME. then i'd look through the box, get zero for the entire box, and look at the $6 of loose ones and get 2 silvers in it. ;D Seemed to happen OFTEN this year.

I see that silver IS hitting the banks around here by the ones I get before the banks turn them in to their coin centers, so I know it is going into the system, But HERE, it seems someone is culling it once it gets IN the system. they take almost ALL the silver. I don't know if the local coin delivery company has a machine that rejects silver (My local coin counter does, and I"ve gotten silver in the reject tray before) or if someone looks for it there, but there is WAY too much coming in from loose halves and hand rolls at the banks to not allow any to come in the boxes TOO.

Anyway, I had a great year. But most came from loose or hand rolled coins, NOT from the boxes.

Here is how the year ended for me with boxes. the rest were from hand rolls, of course.

I searched 323 boxes of halves. I found (In the boxes ONLY. Not my annual totals! Not close!) 39 silver halves in those boxes. yes, only 39 silvers in 323 boxes. Can you tell why I am NOT going to be doing so many boxes in 2011? :-) 39 halves in 323 boxes comes to 1 silver every 8.3 boxes. OUCH!

I don't know if anyone else has that low of an average, but that's fine. I also get lots of loose rolls and coin, and for the year I ended with 3 buffalo nickels, 14 silver war nickels, 1 indian head, about 400 wheats (Will count last ones tonight), 1 mercury silver dime, 44 roosevelt silver dimes, 50 wahington silver quarters (40 were in one roll of solid silver!), 1 wisconsin lower leaf error (SOOO cool), 1 Barber half, 4 walking liberty halves, 9 Franklin halves, 42 90% Kennedy halves, and the 300 40% Kennedy halves. PLus some proofs and even a Statue of Liberty Commem. So I liked my year. Just not the boxes.

This year, I'll continue to hit the banks and ask for $20 nickels, $50 dimes, $30 quarters and all loose halves on every visit. PIcking up some silver dimes, some older nickels, and the territory and parks quarters that are rarer than normal. I'll also still make sure they know I want the halves that come in to them. even the dump guys. ALL the halves they get loose. I know most of the business tellers by name, and they knwo me, so it works. But I'll pass on the boxes. Maybe I'll get 200 silver halves in 2011, but I'll spend a LOT less time without doing the boxes. So that's my plan. PLus hit pennies harder again, as they are selling better now and I can get 1.8 cents per copper right now. That works fo rme, with the large volume I do with them.

There's the year. I wish all my fellow CRH'ers a wonderful and SAFE New year's eve, and a prosperous 2011! ;D

John

Upvote 0

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, YOU are an animal!! I am an East Coaster, averaging about 2 silvers/box..... Hang tough dude!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad boxes, but a very nice total! Nice variety too. :icon_thumleft:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Your persistance amazes me. Based on your finds from customer wrapped rolls, there must be something that's going on that's sucking the silver out. Are there any other searchers in your area? If many searchers got the same results, many of them probably quit. Keep going and perhaps you can outlast those other guys. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
weighit said:
What part of Arizona are you in?

Phoenix.

Where are you at down south? I'm pretty familiar with the areas down there.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Hunting in 2011. You have shared a great deal of information throughout the year here on T-Net and it is greatly appreciated.

Have a wonderful New Year.

apush :read2:

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
That's a lot of boxes to search for little return. You still did pretty good for the year.
Good luck in 2011
HH
Rich

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
J,
Great post. Lots of good info for all of us. Tough year for you on the half boxes, but your
totals are good. Great solid silver quarter roll. Goes to show you that...."YOU NEVER KNOW!"
rileyboy

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John,
Persistence is the key, and working to develop leads does pay off -- certainly has in your case.
Wish you the best in 2011.
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread