2012 Candian Penny, steel is better than copper!

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
This past Thanksgiving I went to Windsor, ON to coin roll hunt. My son and I searched and dumped in Windsor and then brought back a box of pennies to search at home. When we got home and opened the box we realized that we had a solid box of 2012 magnetic pennies in the clear wrappers (from the RCM). We had hoped to find some KGVs, KGVIs, young queens and copper instead we had 12 pounds of steel! Since we can't easily dump magnetic coins in the US we decided to try and sell them on ebay.

I think there has been a lot of hype regarding the 2012 penny. Production lasted the 1st quarter of 2012 and the RCM hasn't produced less than 400 million pennies per year in over a decade, therefore I bet production of the 2012 penny is at least 100 million. Nevertheless, give the people what they want. I listed them on ebay as single pennies and lots of 1, 5, 10, 15 rolls.

To date I have sold 49 rolls and 7 single pennies. After subtracting ebay fees (9%), paypal fees (5% + 5cents), Postage (varied), and cost of the coins ($25), my net profit is.......$79.01!!
The most I have sold a single penny for was 50 cents and the most I sold a roll for was $5.55. That goes a long way to paying for future CRHing trips to Canada.

Upvote 0

RobbyD49

Jul 5, 2012
SE Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A solid box of 2012's! That's awesome! I haven't checked out the Windsor Ballet in a while. Might need to make a trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread