2016 starts out great - silver trifecta and my 1st NJ IHP

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to my favorite spot and hit the barber right away. Not 10 minutes later the merc pops up. At this point i know I can detect till dark, so I'm going for the trifecta. An hour later up comes the Rosie. Wow was I stoked...I just packed it in right then and went home.

I usually don't spend too much time in the field rubbing my wheats...i just wait till i get home to check them out. Low-n-behold one of them turns out to be my 1st IHP from new jersey, 1888. What a hunt!!!

Ended up the the 1906 Barber, 1944 Merc, 1946d Rosie, 1888 IHP, 7 wheats, and the NJ Property Tax rebate for the day was $2.10.

IMG_4440.JPG IMG_4441.JPG

Upvote 14

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Youre off to a great start. I wish i had a spot like that right now

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Murray that's a very nice start. Feels great to get some under your belt so quickly

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt, love hitting trifectas, very exciting. Sounds like you have a great spot!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the dime trifecta. I've been close, but still don't have one.

OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very exciting

Yeah as soon as I knew that I needed the Rosie I knew the odds were slim that I'd pull another silver dime that happened to be a Rosie. As soon as I saw the silver I was praying it would be the Rosie and when I saw that it was it was quite the thrill

Although the IHP was pretty cool too. More than a hundred times I've cleaned off my suspected wheats to see the 'one cent' at the top of the reverse. This time the 'one cent' was in the middle and the thrill was big. I actually had just the other day posted for advice on finding IHP's because I wanted one. Seek and ye shall find.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Murray, you are going to be hard to catch this season the way you are pulling keepers daily. :headbang: Are you retired or a working stiff like me?

OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Murray, you are going to be hard to catch this season the way you are pulling keepers daily. :headbang: Are you retired or a working stiff like me?

I work but from home. So I do have plenty of time. 2 young kids but sometimes they come too and play in the playgrounds. I'm also lucky to live where I do with tons of history and tons of places to hunt. I'm actually parked at a local park now. Had designs on swinging but it's friggin butt cold. My finds will slow down for sure now that winters finly here.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done my friend

I pulled a Barber and then a Mercury on December 31st. I too was hoping for a Rosie. Instead I got another Mercury.
How come we don't wish for a Seated to complete the Trifecta? ? lol

OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol I hear you. I've found way more Mercs than rosies at this site so I was pleasantly surprised. I've done well with U.S. coins barber and later but have yet to dig a seated. Will have to research and find some older sites for that

On the other hand seateds went up to 1891. It stands to reason that they were in circulation into the 1900s so if I'm finding barbers maybe it's just a matter of time. Case in point is toasted's recent thread about finding an IHP in a spill with two 50s wheats

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet trifecta and pennie.Those Barber dimes are another one that has always alluded me.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol I hear you. I've found way more Mercs than rosies at this site so I was pleasantly surprised. I've done well with U.S. coins barber and later but have yet to dig a seated. Will have to research and find some older sites for that

On the other hand seateds went up to 1891. It stands to reason that they were in circulation into the 1900s so if I'm finding barbers maybe it's just a matter of time. Case in point is toasted's recent thread about finding an IHP in a spill with two 50s wheats
Ah, they were teens wheaties with an early indian. Lol. And if you find a seated there it will likely be a smooth disk with hardly any features

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread