'22-D wheat --"what happened?" to this?, HELP from Huntsman, Enamel & all others

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'22-D wheat --"what happened?" to this?, HELP from Huntsman, Enamel & all others

the rim is normal--- but the Foreign coin? raised devices ???:dontknow:
weighs 3.1 grams and slightly out of round.

tearin' my hair out on what is the other coin and HTF did this get born at the Mint :BangHead::tongue3:

IMG_6751.JPG IMG_6752.JPG IMG_6753.JPG IMG_6754.JPG IMG_6759.JPG IMG_6760.JPG IMG_6755.JPG IMG_6756.JPG IMG_6757.JPG IMG_6758.JPG

fame & fortune hang in the balance---- so-- enamel, Frank, Mackaydon and all you other "masters of the coin"---- PLEASE--- be generous--- and :help::help::help:, before I am bald :sad11::laughing9:

Upvote 0

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weight of the coin is correct 3.11 gram. The coin has no foreign body. It has been badly damaged. That is all. Sorry

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find PEA. I would have to disagree with trdking. The "swirl" marking looks too clean to not be a deliberate pattern. Not sure what you have, maybe someone's experiment in trying something instead of Lincoln punched on a foreign planchet. I'll leave that diagnosis to the experienced members; but, to my eyes it does look like more than pmd.

TwoYewts

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find PEA. I would have to disagree with trdking. The "swirl" marking looks too clean to not be a deliberate pattern. Not sure what you have, maybe someone's experiment in trying something instead of Lincoln punched on a foreign planchet. I'll leave that diagnosis to the experienced members; but, to my eyes it does look like more than pmd.

TwoYewts

exactly my opinion-- a foreign coin design, not "wear" with raised devices and the wheat affected only in the area of the anomaly. what foreign coins were produced by the Mint in 1922 :dontknow:

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird. Did that come out of a roll or a bag?

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the mint produced coins for the Philippines; but, a search of 1920s Philippine coins doesn't show anything promising. Just doing a search of foreign coins 1922 had a result of a 1922 Moroccan coin that had a bunch of similar swirls. Might do a few more searches to see what else Google finds.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got it from my LCS for research & possible sale with a 50/50 split. will ask Mike Diamond to take a peek.
diameter is .75 & .795 so out of round is obvious.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool keep us posted :)

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the circular look of the foreign impression, my first thought was that it is Brockage / Strikethru with the fragment being part of a die from a foreign coin that has a center hole.

The 1-Satang (has a center hole) was minted in 1919 in Phili, but not Denver. It even has similar features to your brockage strike thru (if that is what it is). That coin was the first coin with a hole to be minted in a US mint but I don't think it is the source of your specimen. I'm not sure that there are any foreigns with holes that were minted around that time.

Attachments

• 1919 1Satang.jpg
    1919 1Satang.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 74

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be one thing to see this on a regular old wheat. To see it on a 22d does increase my suspicion factor...

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike Diamond says--- encased coin with artifacts remaining from the object the wheat was encased in

NOT AN ERROR :BangHead::BangHead:

glad my noose is in the shop for repair_______ udderwize I be swingin':sad11::sad11::sad7:

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike Diamond says--- encased coin with artifacts remaining from the object the wheat was encased in

NOT AN ERROR :BangHead::BangHead:

glad my noose is in the shop for repair_______ udderwize I be swingin':sad11::sad11::sad7:

Geez man that's kinda dark...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a mystery wrapped in an enigma ! Whether or not it was a product of the mint or post mint , in order for your coin to show raised design elements as it does , clearly the foreign coin would have to have incuse elements at the contact areas on your coin . That's all I got - very interesting find , can't wait to see some more theories on this one !

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1922 Saudi Arabia Hejaz Riyal is a very close match

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you simplify what Mike Diamond's theory is , I don't understand what you were saying that he thinks this is about.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike feels the wheat was inside a separate ring or other surrounding object and that the surrounding item devices were "struck" into the wheat during the process. search of "encased coins" revealed nothing that would replicate what you see on the wheat.

I'm still "stuck on stupid" with this coin, I'm tempted to read that new book titled "what happened" to try and unravel this---

NAH, scratch that----- maybe the Oak Island guys have the answer on this-----

NAH, scratch THAT TOO ---

the clock is ticking for --enamel, Huntsman & Mackaydon---tick,tick,tick_______:dontknow:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest clue factor here is the weight. It is dead nuts spot on for the weight of a 22D. Foreign object or wrong planchlet would skew the weight. This tells me that it is a penny struck on a penny. As far as what happened to it after it left the mint, well I have seen some bizarre things. I have also seen some pretty odd mint errors, but this is not one of them.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike Diamond says--- encased coin with artifacts remaining from the object the wheat was encased in . . .

That makes sense. It explains the circular nature of the impression and the out-of-flat (happened when the wheat was forced out of the encasement ring).

An example of an encased wheat . . .

Attachments

• Encased.jpg
    Encased.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 68

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread