Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sure looks legit...the puritest kit from amazon is what I have.never seenn them in stores.
good luck !!! a quick trip to pawn or jeweler is in order.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You can buy an acid test solution online for $4.95. Be sure to read the instructions. If you cant wait, any pawn shop could test.

Upvote 0

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The acid test kit I have came with a testing stone. You make a small scrape on the stone with the object, then you apply the acid to the scratch mark on the stone. This avoids having to put acid directly on the object. I would not think you'd need to cut anything in half to test it.

Hard to tell what that thing is with the reeded edge. Might be a bad home casting job, where someone tried to create their own silver round.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The acid will leave a stain but I dont see any reason why you cant put a drop directly on the item in an inconspicuous part like underneath because your item may only have melt down value. If the test color is yellow its not silver. My guess its melted wheel weights but Im hoping for you.

SilverTestAcid001.jpg SilverTestAcid003.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What did the seller say it was? Where did they obtain it? Did you ask any questions?

If it turns out to be silver, dont damage it. I have a few thoughts on what it may be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like zinc (especially the cracked surface in pic #6 and its melting point is below 1000 degrees and thus pretty easy to melt at home) or some sort of lead alloy/pot metal/melted wheel weights. Pic 7 looks like lead especially with the hammer marks.

I'm not sure that the ringing test is terribly reliable, i was melting a bunch of lead bullet range scrap a few weeks ago and didn't have enough left to make another 10lb ingot at the end of it, so I poured the remainder into a frying pan and got a big flat round ingot like yours that rings like a bell quite beautifully when struck, and it's pretty much pure lead.

Good luck and I hope for the best but it all looks like impure lead/alloy to me so don't get the hopes up too high.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Definitely NOT lead. Passed the "Home" version tests including Ice and the Ringing. That color Chart indicator is awesome i didn't know there were so many shades when testing.
Yea there is no mistaking that pretty red on 925 silver or above. You will not have to break the pieces and they are not plated so I would put a drop directly on the items. I make my own test solution from Nitric Acid and Potassium Dichromate. Silver test.jpg potassium dichromate.jpg

I also have my own test chart that I use. I posted this trying to help another member. Its really not complicated. If the test shows yellow, its not silver.. silver test chart.jpg

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The seller just mentioned Odd items because of the Medallions in the Box. What are your thoughts on what it may be?
I really don't like speculating until after the test results. I did that with another member and it turned into a disaster.

Because you worked in a scrap yard gives me some hope.:thumbsup: But my guess is still wheel weights, zinc, lead, pot metal alloy... And I agree with someone else said not to rely on ringing, or ice, bleach or saliva tinfoil testing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope it is silver, that would be an awesome find!!!

some other possibilities that come to mind, and I read through the thread real quick so maybe already mentioned or ruled out. Both of my grandfathers have stuff like this laying around, or did. Everything from melted wheel weights,lead for bullets,fishing weights, old lead joints from cast pipe etc... my one grandfather even had old babbit from when they poured their own bearings in their motors and machinery( a friend burned himself with it playing with casting later on). Those old guys would mix and melt or do whatever they did with it. They saved everything!!!!!!

Other things that I have seen, are silver collections or bars that were in real hot house fires and melted.Or melted for other reasons not mentioning. By looking at that pic it doesn't have the same look. That doesn't mean anything and hopefully that is what it is or something silver, that was remelted into a button(?).

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hope it is silver, that would be an awesome find!!!

some other possibilities that come to mind, and I read through the thread real quick so maybe already mentioned or ruled out. Both of my grandfathers have stuff like this laying around, or did. Everything from melted wheel weights,lead for bullets,fishing weights, old lead joints from cast pipe etc... my one grandfather even had old babbit from when they poured their own bearings in their motors and machinery( a friend burned himself with it playing with casting later on). Those old guys would mix and melt or do whatever they did with it. They saved everything!!!!!!
This is very true. All the old timers melted lead alloys for different reasons. They often cast their own bullets.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm going to video tape the testing in case i screw it up people can let me know. So either way should be entertaining. LOL
I hope it works out. To me the test is very simple but I have discovered its not that easy for me to explain it. There should be some videos online. The only problem that I can see arising is under 50 percent silver as you will be basically testing the base metal. The acid test works great for sterling or 90 percent coin grade silver.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
In the 70s the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market and prices went up to $55 an ounce. For some reason everyone was melting their silver coins. Collector's Corner: U.S. Silver Coins and the Great Melts It is unknown how many rare and valuable items found their way into the melting pots. But I hate to speculate. To me the Step One SOP is to identify the metal even if it involves going to a pawn shop.

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since your gone!!! Those were probably giant 5lb blobs of platinum!!!! Now, we will never know! Did you buy and move to your own island?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

otrkid70

May 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Well since your gone!!! Those were probably giant 5lb blobs of platinum!!!! Now, we will never know! Did you buy and move to your own island?

I won't leave you hanging on this. I'll post the video when the test kit comes tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread