230 years ago today/history along Hudson River

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Near where I live, Oct. 16, 1777, the British sailed up the Hudson River and burned Kingston. Here's more information from a person who was there, Colonel Abraham Hasbrouck, and link to more about how it fits more broadly with the Rev. War...

"October 16, 1777. Then the enemy under the command of General Henry Clinton and General Vaughan came to Kingston in Esopus, and burnt my dwelling-house, barn, cider-house or storehouse, and another barn and wagon house at my late dwelling house, and also a small out-kitchen which was left standing when my dwelling house was burnt down the 23rd of October, 1776. And the enemy burnt all the houses, barns (except one house and barn) in the town, church and county house, likewise laid everything in rubbish of ashes-fences and everything they came to. They even took my metal detector and all my clad." (sorry, I had to add that, but the rest is accurate). See below for more details...
http://www.newrivernotes.com/ny/kingston.htm

Upvote 0

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300
Great post Bergie, lots and lots of history up and down the Hudson river. Thanks for the link.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread