Sarratoga button found

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
I found this button in a celler hole on the banks of hudson river not far from sarratoga battle field.ive done some research and got as far as it being british and from the time of the sarratoga battle .i have found pictures of a few but they are in poor condition .this one is in great condition .any ideas if pewter silver .it was found in this condition .

Attachments

• 135404.jpg
    135404.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,495
  • 135435.jpg
    135435.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,471
  • 135519.jpg
    135519.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,477
  • 135529.jpg
    135529.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,483
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that condition, I'd think it'd have to be silver rather than pewter. Most of the pewter ones are in horrible shape after being in the ground. Could you post some close-ups of the button? This could be a phenominal find. Thank you for posting it!

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
sorry cant seem to get the pics to be any clearer .any help in finding out value would be appreciated .im new here and dont realyy know who to contact about it

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
OK .just heard from a Button collecter .seems what i thought could be a great find is more than likely a button that came off a reanacter .Its nice to find this out but still BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bradgny said:
OK .just heard from a Button collecter .seems what i thought could be a great find is more than likely a button that came off a reanacter .Its nice to find this out but still BUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did the collector state why, what basis did he use to determine that, curious. I agree that it most likely is a reenactors button but would have liked to hear why a "collector" said so.

There is a master list of all the units that have known reenactors and the 24th is on that list btw.

http://www.revwar.com/reenact/master_list.html

http://www.24thfoot.org/

Don

OP
OP
bradgny

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
He said that the shank on he back would not have been solid as mine is .my question is did the soldiers ever mold and pour their own buttons .he mentioned that mine was a pewter remake but if it was in where i found it i would think pewter would have had more damage

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bradgny said:
He said that the shank on he back would not have been solid as mine is .my question is did the soldiers ever mold and pour their own buttons .he mentioned that mine was a pewter remake but if it was in where i found it i would think pewter would have had more damage

Well from what I can find out, a British 24th(which I think it more closely represents) would have had an iron loop shank and not an integral type, an the American 24th, which would have an integral type shaft I believe was of plain pewter and I saw none with any type of border around it in my references.

It is possible your reenactor button was made of a higher quality pewter, which would substain some time in the ground, which is most likely the case. I do think it is pewter and not silver, but hard to tell for sure from the photos.

Nice find regardless, but sorry it appears not to be the real thing.

Your question on a soldier casting his own, sure, but I am not sure it would be of that quality of pewter done in the field and if anything would have been done in lead or low quality pewter. I do not think that is the case, the button is of high quality and just has the appearance of newer.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What are the odds of finding a modern 24th on the Hudson so close to the Saratoga battlefield ?? Unreal !

I have a farm site 'over there' adjacent to the battlefield and hunted it back 2002-3 and did pretty well !
Found a few buttons ,musketballs,and KG coppers....Really need to go back but the owner is hard to catch at home and its a 118 mile drive one way and well with high gas prices :'(

Pretty NICE find in my book Brad !!

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
Brad I think it's British too! And I think it's real too! But am not professional collecter. A few years back I hunted in that same area and found some nice relics. Love to make another trip up there soon. Maybe we and maybe Derek can get together and do some detecting.

Here is a few finds that Rodger & I found up there.

Bill(pa)

Attachments

• Saratogafinds.jpg
    Saratogafinds.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,344

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too bad but even just seeing the front on your other post I had my suspicions. Now that the back doesn't match it pretty much confirmed it as a repro. in my non-expert opinion.

To me it looks like they were copying the officer's pattern (silver on bone back) which would mean the reverse is drastically wrong. Damn if only it was old!!!

vonrall

Apr 17, 2009
Iron Patch said:
That's too bad but even just seeing the front on your other post I had my suspicions. Now that the back doesn't match it pretty much confirmed it as a repro. in my non-expert opinion.

To me it looks like they were copying the officer's pattern (silver on bone back) which would mean the reverse is drastically wrong. Damn if only it was old!!!

Correct, definitely a repro, probably made by Imrie Risley of Burnt Hills, NY near the Saratoga Battlefield. They made 24th buttons for the National Park in the 70s.

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
Derek752 said:
What are the odds of finding a modern 24th on the Hudson so close to the Saratoga battlefield ?? Unreal !

Actually very high,, lots of reenactments take place at and near historic sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread