23mm Complete C.S.A. Button and more BIG Iron. Confederate States of America.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the sweet spot hoping to dig another cannon ball, as I was able to dig my first one Sunday.
We have cherrypicked this spot to death. My intentions were to dig lots of iron and all the low tones.
Early on I had one hard iron hit that sound a little iffy, so I decided to dig and pulled a large piece of iron from the hole.
Then I stuck the pinpointer back in and it started beeping again and saw a large button in the hole.
At first I thought this was another French Marines button, but noticed a little decoration, or actually a letter on it.
After I cleaned it a little I see the C, then the A. At this point im thinking NO WAY. and then I see the S. C.S.A.
OMG. been wanting to dig something I can can truly say is confederate now for over 4 years, and today it happened.
So I was looking for another cannon ball today, but Im actually much happier with the button...:headbang::headbang: Bucket List Dream Find.!!!
Oh and my buddy got his first cannon ball today. And the button cleaning is coming along well.
The first 2 pics is what it looked like after getting it home.
P1060002.JPG P1060006.JPG
The second 2 pics are the button after toothpicking. Im still working on it and will update.
P1060016.JPG P1060012.JPG
I think im done for now. Backmark isn't very readable.
P1060002.JPG View attachment 1257090 P1060007.JPG P1060005.JPG
Last pic is my cannonball from sunday on the left and my buddies larger cannonball from today on the right.
P1060017.JPG
UPDATE: Since this thread was bumped back up I wanted to say that I cleaned the buttons back a little more and I can start to see a SUPERIOR QUALITY backmark. I also cleaned one of the Cannon Balls with electrolysis and will be adding more pics.
After waiting 24 hours to dry and coating the ball with Satin Urethane, it is starting to look like some rust is coming back.
P1260001.JPG P1260002.JPG P1260003.JPG
I'm kind of new with doing electrolysis on iron. Maybe I should have let it dry longer or run electrolysis longer. I will probably wait until the summer and do more electro on it.

Attachments

• P1060004.JPG
    P1060004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Upvote 25

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on digging your confederate dream PBR. Your rolling in the new year. :occasion14:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic button!!
That is a dream find.
Go real slow with the cleaning.
And congrats to your friend on the cannon ball.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on digging your confederate dream PBR. Your rolling in the new year. :occasion14:
Thanks Loco. I was thinking it would be hard to top 2015, but so far its looking real good.
Ive been wanting to find a confederate button for a while now. Dug plenty of US Buttons, but no confederates until today.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic button!!
That is a dream find.
Go real slow with the cleaning.
And congrats to your friend on the cannon ball.
Thanks Vino. Man ive been hoping for a confed button or plate for a long time. Was really excited earlier. It was like winning on a scratch ticket, one letter at a time.
Im done cleaning for now. I think it turned out pretty decent considering how corrosive our ground is. Took some extra pics with the new camera.
Guess like you say, gota get in there and dig that iron. If I hadn't, I never would have found this button. And some of those iron relics are pretty cool, esp the cannon balls. :headbang:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I guess you can't have the old French site give all the great finds you desire.
You do have to get to the other awesome sites you have too!
Nice recovery on your button!
It's one of those finds many search for but never get.
Give your bud congratulations on his nice finds too!

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you can't have the old French site give all the great finds you desire.
You do have to get to the other awesome sites you have too!
Nice recovery on your button!
It's one of those finds many search for but never get.
Give your bud congratulations on his nice finds too!
Crazy thing is that this WAS from the old French site......
It kind of blows my whole musket ball theory and cannon ball theory.
Guess this area was just a very strategic point and was used by many militaries.
Now the cannon balls and a lot of the lead could be confederate...
Just when I thought I had it all figured out. :dontknow:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome!!!!! There is no other feeling like it. Gets me going just reading your post. Congrats on saving some great history![emoji106] [emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the button, the condition is really nice.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Confederate States of Acadia button. :)

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Simply spectacular! Congrats on really nice find.

Best of luck in 2016!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

williedigit

Oct 24, 2015
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and WHITES SILVER EAGLE also MINELAB 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the sweet spot hoping to dig another cannon ball, as I was able to dig my first one Sunday.
We have cherrypicked this spot to death. My intentions were to dig lots of iron and all the low tones.
Early on I had one hard iron hit that sound a little iffy, so I decided to dig and pulled a large piece of iron from the hole.
Then I stuck the pinpointer back in and it started beeping again and saw a large button in the hole.
At first I thought this was another French Marines button, but noticed a little decoration, or actually a letter on it.
After I cleaned it a little I see the C, then the A. At this point im thinking NO WAY. and then I see the S. C.S.A.
OMG. been wanting to dig something I can can truly say is confederate now for over 4 years, and today it happened.
So I was looking for another cannon ball today, but Im actually much happier with the button...:headbang::headbang: Bucket List Dream Find.!!!
Oh and my buddy got his first cannon ball today. And the button cleaning is coming along well.
The first 2 pics is what it looked like after getting it home.
View attachment 1257060 View attachment 1257061
The second 2 pics are the button after toothpicking. Im still working on it and will update.
View attachment 1257062 View attachment 1257064
I think im done for now. Backmark isn't very readable.
View attachment 1257084 View attachment 1257090 View attachment 1257092 View attachment 1257093
Last pic is my cannonball from sunday on the left and my buddies larger cannonball from today on the right.
View attachment 1257066

Nice another bucket list item to add

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome CSA button! I've only dug one but it is my favorite find. From what I've researched, it's not my most valuable button but by far it's my favorite. Anything with CSA on it is always on the top of my wish list. Big congrats!

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button turned out beautiful. Maybe one of them ended up out west here lol. Great finds
Thanks J. You never know. Sure didn't expect to find one here.
That's awesome!!!!! There is no other feeling like it. Gets me going just reading your post. Congrats on saving some great history![emoji106] [emoji106]

HH, Relic Nut
Thanks Relic Nut. Im still just as excited. Dunt Dunt Dahhhh!!!!!!
Congrats on the button, the condition is really nice.
Thanks pepper. I think so too. My last 2 piece from this site was post war, and very pitted.
Congrats on your Confederate States of Acadia button. :)
Thanks Iron Patch. Lol. Confederate States of Acadiana. I like that...
Simply spectacular! Congrats on really nice find.

Best of luck in 2016!
Thanks Tom. Its gona be a good year.
Excellent button find. That one was worth waiting for.
Thanks TH. Cant believe the condition. I really thought my first would be much worse.

Thanks Casper.

Nice another bucket list item to add
Thanks Willie. 1 down, but many more to go.
Awesome CSA button! I've only dug one but it is my favorite find. From what I've researched, it's not my most valuable button but by far it's my favorite. Anything with CSA on it is always on the top of my wish list. Big congrats!
Thanks Darby. Id love to know what its worth, but I think this one is gona look nice in my display, esp when I get that plate to go with.

Last edited:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding button find

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey PBR hope we both dig a CSA plate to go with the button! Those would display nicely with each other!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread