23mm Complete C.S.A. Button and more BIG Iron. Confederate States of America.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the sweet spot hoping to dig another cannon ball, as I was able to dig my first one Sunday.
We have cherrypicked this spot to death. My intentions were to dig lots of iron and all the low tones.
Early on I had one hard iron hit that sound a little iffy, so I decided to dig and pulled a large piece of iron from the hole.
Then I stuck the pinpointer back in and it started beeping again and saw a large button in the hole.
At first I thought this was another French Marines button, but noticed a little decoration, or actually a letter on it.
After I cleaned it a little I see the C, then the A. At this point im thinking NO WAY. and then I see the S. C.S.A.
OMG. been wanting to dig something I can can truly say is confederate now for over 4 years, and today it happened.
So I was looking for another cannon ball today, but Im actually much happier with the button...:headbang::headbang: Bucket List Dream Find.!!!
Oh and my buddy got his first cannon ball today. And the button cleaning is coming along well.
The first 2 pics is what it looked like after getting it home.
P1060002.JPG P1060006.JPG
The second 2 pics are the button after toothpicking. Im still working on it and will update.
P1060016.JPG P1060012.JPG
I think im done for now. Backmark isn't very readable.
P1060002.JPG View attachment 1257090 P1060007.JPG P1060005.JPG
Last pic is my cannonball from sunday on the left and my buddies larger cannonball from today on the right.
P1060017.JPG
UPDATE: Since this thread was bumped back up I wanted to say that I cleaned the buttons back a little more and I can start to see a SUPERIOR QUALITY backmark. I also cleaned one of the Cannon Balls with electrolysis and will be adding more pics.
After waiting 24 hours to dry and coating the ball with Satin Urethane, it is starting to look like some rust is coming back.
P1260001.JPG P1260002.JPG P1260003.JPG
I'm kind of new with doing electrolysis on iron. Maybe I should have let it dry longer or run electrolysis longer. I will probably wait until the summer and do more electro on it.

Attachments

• P1060004.JPG
    P1060004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Upvote 25
OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding button find
Thanks 46. My new favorite button. It even tops my 1812 buttons.
CSA! CSA! WTG!
:occasion14:
Thanks Steve. We southerners really appreciate the CSA finds.
Hey PBR hope we both dig a CSA plate to go with the button! Those would display nicely with each other!!
One can only dream. Its funny though, sometimes the best finds are least expected.
Incredible my man, thats one of my bucket list buttons for sure. Ive dug southern state buttons, but no csa yet. Love your artillery pieces too. Those are all great.
Thank you. Now I need some southern states buttons and a plate. Preferably from my state or a local one.
BTW you have some nice plates on your avatar. The artillery pieces are really cool too. I was already excited about the balls, the button is just the icing.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice. The backmark could be about 6 different makers. If you can make out any of the letters, we'll try to help out. WTG on a very cool find, Q.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really cool button.
Thanks 76. It is my new favorite.
Very nice. The backmark could be about 6 different makers. If you can make out any of the letters, we'll try to help out. WTG on a very cool find, Q.
Thanks for taking an interest Vol. Put another coat of Verdi care on earlier. Im not sure if the button has a backmark, or if it is just really corroded on the back.
I keep looking at it under my loupe with different lights and different angles. Im not sure if im seeing parts of letters, or just wanting to see parts of letters so badly that im imagining them. I will keep trying.
Thanks again.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Incredible! Congratz!!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CSA button is in Great condition after 150 years ....... Amazing Find !

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used