$250 which detector?

mydogisscout

Feb 25, 2010
Grand Blanc, Mi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Ok guys, I just sold my 2 yr old ace 250 for $250. I'm looking for something different. I like to beach hunt fresh water, relic hunt old farms, and coin shoot in the parks. Soil up here has a lot of clay. I looked at the Fisher F2, the Teknetics Alpha 2000, and the treasure hunter xj9. My question is, if you had $250 to spend what detector would you get? Open to all suggestions withing that price cap, not just one of the three listed. Thanks in advance.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for detecting freshwater lakes you are out of luck with only $250 dollars as waterproof machines run more than that because of the construction. However most good land detectors that can be hip mounted you can wade in the water and still hunt the land with them. Suggest you stick with the major brands like Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro or White's in case you ever need warranty work which is hard or impossible to get on the Chinese detectors. Used is an option for you.

OP
OP
M

mydogisscout

Feb 25, 2010
Grand Blanc, Mi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
ok, reading that was a total waste of time. i'm asking for an opinion. i thought a forum was a place where guys helped each other out? maybe i'm spoiled on the other forums i belong to, guys there actually reply to posts. pretty bad when i can get a better answer on a trapping forum.

bradsguns

Jul 5, 2007
Shell Knob, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero
Get the Tesoro Silver Umax.
Works just fine on freshwater sand...finds land relics as well, and is great for parks & schoolyards.
The Tesoro lifetime warranty is also great.
Brad

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was wrong with Sandmans answer? :dontknow: He is one of the most knowledgable people you could ever get an answer from.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well thats the way it is and sand man told like it was, there are people that don't just like to hear things such as the truth unfortunatley.

OP
OP
M

mydogisscout

Feb 25, 2010
Grand Blanc, Mi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
The problem with the reply was the fact that I asked for specifics, not a vague answer. I am not a beginner, yet not an expert in this subject. In a time of a poor economy, I don't want to make a purchase without the advice of someone who has personal experience with a unit, not just a brand. You guys need to lighten up. And fyi I did get the answer to the question I was asking, just not from anyone on this forum.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, I did not offer the names of any detectors as the ones you listed are entry level or less than that. You needed to do more research on the brands yourself and not rely on others which may or may not know what they are talking about. What detector works great in one location may not in yours.

What makes you think we don't use the other forums with different user names?

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your Breath Sandman, going to be just like beating a dead horse. :BangHead:

OP
OP
M

mydogisscout

Feb 25, 2010
Grand Blanc, Mi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Rusted Nail said:
I'm curious why you sold you're famous ACE 250 to get another :o
let me start off saying the 250 was a good detector, I had little to no problems with it. don't get me wrong, it wasn't perfect. i sold mine because a buddy wanted to get into the sport and didn't have $, so i traded it to him for something else. I had about $250 to sink into another detector, and decided i wanted to try something different. I went with the Fisher F2

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
mydogisscout said:
And fyi I did get the answer to the question I was asking, just not from anyone on this forum.

Well maybe you should go THERE then, if this place is so unacceptable to your standards?

You've made like 7 posts here and the greatest number of them consist of telling off members here and insulting the way it operates.

Tombstone ROCKS.....

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Sandman!

As usual you gave the right answer.

Sure, the Silver uMax is a sweet machine for the price and argueably better than the F-2 and the Tek , but as you say, not exactly the right thing for freshwater beaches. I wonder how long it would take to completely ruin the thing hunting near or in the water?

LL
EZEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Money

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Larry for the kind words. I try with the answers, but sometimes even I can get ticked off by people with an attitude.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there's always one in a crowd sandman!

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
mydogisscout just for starters you should delete your silly post! Picking on Sanman was not a very good thing. Hell what do you want for $250.00?. I would suggest saving up the money and waiting till you have grown up and maybe haqve more money to buy a detector with!.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey OldBill.

You made my day!

He, he, he.... :coffee2:

Old Larry

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldbill said:
mydogisscout just for starters you should delete your silly post! Picking on Sanman was not a very good thing. Hell what do you want for $250.00?. I would suggest saving up the money and waiting till you have grown up and maybe haqve more money to buy a detector with!.

Ride on brother, well said...Tom

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's okay Sandman, the other 39262 members love ya, and most of us are intelligent enough to take the advice of a seasoned professional such as yourself. You've given me lots of advice, some I wanted to hear, some I didn't. But all of it spot on! I look forward to learning more from you. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread