Whites vs Minelab

Coinsteamer

Greenie
Feb 25, 2010
I sold a few things and I now have the money to get myself a fancy $600 max metal detector :hello2:. My problem is that I want to find the best bang for the buck. I have been thinking about getting a White's M6 but Minelab detectors seem nice also. I had a Bounty Hunter Quickdraw (Cheap $250 detector I bought at Gander Mountain years ago) but I wasn't very impressed as it would give me a lot of false readings. I want to get a good detector this time around. Below is info. about how much I would use it and what im looking for. I live in Wisconsin so I dont think I would be prospecting much.

Also, are pin pointers worth getting?

(Info.)
Hobbyist that goes out a few times a week
Looking for- Coins, Relics (Man made stuff :P, No gold to be found in Wisconsin :D)
Looking around- Beaches (Fresh Water), Forests, Farms, Old Town Houses
Willing to spend a fair amount for a good detector (Around $600-$700 or less :D)

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know if I could recommend one over the other. Both Whites and Minelab have excellent machines. It is really a personal favorite. I would recommend visiting a both dealers and getting a hands on and see which you like the best. I would highly recommend a pin pointer. Harbor Freights has one for $16 and works great. It has saved me a lot of time searching for target.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
treasurehound said:
I don't know if I could recommend one over the other. Both Whites and Minelab have excellent machines. It is really a personal favorite. I would recommend visiting a both dealers and getting a hands on and see which you like the best. I would highly recommend a pin pointer. Harbor Freights has one for $16 and works great. It has saved me a lot of time searching for target.
Safe advise Randy!

Both machines do what they are supposed to do.

It's the operator who makes the difference.
But, I will sell you a Minelab when you are ready!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new MXT and a used Exp II. I use them both for different applications but tend to prefer the MXT. It is light easy to use and I seem to find rings more often. Currently 6 rings with the MXT to 0 with the ExpII. On the coin side the MXT finds more but I dig a lot more junk although the EXPII likes silver better than the MXT. I use the Exp at trashy sites in learned mode and it seems to be a better solution. I have also come more accustomed to the quick processer on the MXT vs the ExpII. I just can't figure out the EXPII targeting. It seems to have a 1-2 second delay in making an audible sound. It really is a personal preference and I am still learning the EXP II. It is not as easy as the MXT but is far less chatty. As for a pin pointer, I can't live without mine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no doubt the best way to decide on a detector is to visit a dealer even if you need to travel a long ways to get there as this way you can handle the various machines to see which one you like best. Seems that all the newcomers want to have a screen to tell them what it is and how deep it is supposed to be. A good ear tells you that. Tesoro offers many good detectors too that are well within your price range. A Vaquero sounds about right for you.

A pinpointer isn't necessary as I just use a screwdriver most of the time after pinpointing it with the coil to a dime size target and can touch the coin with the probe on the first push into the soil. Now if your on the sloppy side you might need a electronic pointer to find it in that big hole you dug.

In Wisconson I would definitely get a Tiger shark or 1280 for hunting in the water at all them freshwater swimming beaches you have. This is where you rack up the many gold rings if you don't disc out pull tabs.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I suggest the Minelab 505 for a good multi-tone with target ID unit that is light and reasonably priced. Second choice might be the Teknetics Gamma or Omega.

Definately get a Garrett Propointer and a Leshe digger when you order!

Good Luck!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take Sandmans advice and find a dealer and drive to one to at least check the detectors out, see how they feel in your hand, how heavy, bulky, balanced, unbalanced and so on they feel.......

Remember even with the medium and high dollar range detectors your still going to dig trash, hopefully just not as much. It is the operator who makes the difference.....

Metal detectors are like golf clubs, different one for different circumstances, it is impossible to find one that is good for all types of hunting.... A good relic detector may only be a fair fresh water machine....

Good advice given before my post, I would follow it....... :icon_thumright:

Good luck and good hunting..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread