2500 on the beach

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
I am looking for tips on running my new 2500 down at the coast. I hope to work the wet sand to about knee deep. I know to turn on the salt elimination, to not get the box wet and to not lift the coil above the box...

I'll bring back pictures of my diggers. :P

My last trip to the beach was with my 250 and being a newbie ran it at sensitivity 7/8 and dug black sand all weekend. What a waste :'( Now I know better, but any 2500 newbie tips would be helpful.

Thanks,
Paul

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use the smallest coil you have to get a good hold of pinpointing.(when practicing at home)
At the beach use True all-metal-mode, will get you deeper run around at the water edge, it works like a sluice box.(have I heard)
Set fast track(?) to the highest speed possible so it will work in and among the minerals.
There is some cover for the display/box etc, get one of those.
If there is not many targets around get the big coil (12.5") and a pinpointer.

Thats all I can think off at the moment...

OP
OP
Trescher

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
I think that I got my program. But I also came up with some questions.

Salt Elimination - on.
All-Metal mode - on.
Auto Track - Fast
Sensitivity - 50% - 90% (whatever is stable).
Threshold/Volume/Tone/Backlight/Search Image/Talk - to personal taste.

Frequency - The detector's detecting frequency is 7 kHz, but yet I can adjust it to interfere less with another detector. Are these two related? Can I adjust it up to 14 kHz? Or down to 3 kHz?

What is the difference between Zero Discrimination and All-metal mode? Are they about the same except that All-metal bypasses the discrimination circuit altogether? Which is why it can get more depth?

Thanks,
Paul

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When your hunting with others the detectors can "react to each other" because of the Frequency it does not really matter what Frequency you have, I have not noticed any difference. So it's when your hunting with friends.

Zero Disc you'll still disc out some stuff like bigger pieces of ore, so it won't react to every piece of metall around.

True All Metall Mode will respond to every piece of metal, even good quality ore, if not set ground balance probarbly.
I use it to locate intresting places to pan. ;)

Sensitivity is not of major importance, you'll set it to 7.5 as a beginner as you might else get false signals, but you'll get a little deeper.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
While out on a group gold outing in Arizona, I ran into a guy who was using a 250 with a Sniper coil. He said it would find nuggets. I'm sure it's not anywhere as good as a regular gold finding detector, but might work. I have a Minelab 2100 v2 for nuggets and a Garret 250. I'll have to take the 250 out next time and see if it will find anything next to the ML 2100. If the 250 is all you have and you have a sniper coil, it would be better than nothing and might be worth a try. I'm not too sure how well the 250 would operate in the highly mineralized soil in the AZ gold producing areas with it's automatic ground balance.

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
I don't have a 2500 but i have found that a chg in the freq can have an affect on wet sand , at least on my white's unit.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rifleman said:
While out on a group gold outing in Arizona, I ran into a guy who was using a 250 with a Sniper coil. He said it would find nuggets. I'm sure it's not anywhere as good as a regular gold finding detector, but might work. I have a Minelab 2100 v2 for nuggets and a Garret 250. I'll have to take the 250 out next time and see if it will find anything next to the ML 2100. If the 250 is all you have and you have a sniper coil, it would be better than nothing and might be worth a try. I'm not too sure how well the 250 would operate in the highly mineralized soil in the AZ gold producing areas with it's automatic ground balance.
Yes most detectors will find a nugget if it is big enough and not to deep. You mean an Ace 250?
I have heard of nugget finds with it. But it's a cheap all round, I don't think the ace can beat the minelab...

I don't have a 2500 but i have found that a chg in the freq can have an affect on wet sand , at least on my white's unit
Water is also conductive, I wounder if the different freq does make the water to react differently?? Or the salts interfere some how.

Frequency - The detector's detecting frequency is 7 kHz, but yet I can adjust it to interfere less with another detector. Are these two related? Can I adjust it up to 14 kHz? Or down to 3 kHz?
Yes as same frequency's can interfere with each other you can change to minimize interference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread