(26 g) Mexico Sterling ring

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2 Radio Shack, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2 ES LTD, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honey hole does it again!

Well, my buddy (car91rs) decided to try an old spot that we had given up on over a year ago at the old dump site and discovered a silver brooch and what appears to be an 1800's Coronet merchants token possibly CW era just yesterday. Well, needless to say I had to go out there today and try my luck. Wouldn't you know it as soon as I was going to call it a quits i get a scratchy hi med tone which most of the time turns out to be tin cans and junk and what not. So I proceeded to dig and remove a thick rubber inner tube possibly to a 1930-40'a vehicle. I still had a few bouncy tones... My VDI and tones were all over the place. I continued to dig around with my pin pointer and pulled out multiple broken pieces of brass, so next i ran my coil over the inner tube and immediately saw what looked like a huge ring... At this point I'm not trying to get too excited from previous experience/let downs. I take my time, take a few breaths and start taking pictures expecting to be let down once again... just like finding a what you think is a coin and turns out to be a washer, and all after taking a picture. I then pick up the so called ring and to my surprise it is!!!!! Heavy sucker at that. So then I text a pic to car91rs who then asks if it's gold and where I found it... Lmao!!!!! By this time the sun is going down so I head back to the car and get another iffy signal so I say what the heck and dig out what looks like a 20 centavo Mexican coin, but wait a min this one has a loop on top. Oh yeah baby a pendant!

(REMEMBER) experience/let downs?!

Well, it wasn't a coin or a pendant but upon a closer look it turned out to be a medal. It's says "Awarded to Serbin the Fashion Academy Gold Medal" and on the other side it has the year 1951

I'm starting to think I'm psychic, cause I went there telling myself, self you are going to find silver not just any silver but a silver ring... Lol

Enjoy the pics
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418003974.137649.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004007.946078.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004031.670555.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004054.716292.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004069.333454.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004085.484717.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004098.788281.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004110.931650.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004122.990096.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004133.598575.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418004272.157705.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet and very nice car.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG! Congrats! We would have liked a little happy dance video, but since it was dark we'll let you slide this time! Lol!

That ring is huge! Probably have to register it as a weapon! And you were given a "gold medal" for style! Nice!
I haven't figured out if we are given a preview of what we will find or if we go into the hunt with it on our mind and find it. Either way it worked well for you! It's amazing what gets thrown out.

There has been a few times I really wanted to find a ring....it was plastic! Lol! I think my search and find radar needs tweaking!

Nice car! The interior wouldn't happen to be in snake skin, would it? With Car91rs "talent" for finding them... :laughing7:

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get your heart set on that really being a silver ring.
Don't let me to bring you down but Mexican stamps on jewelry can not be trusted by any means whatsoever !!!
Just be aware that Mexico and many other South American countries mislabel the piece on purpose of course!
A few years back, I found a large heavy man's gold ring that would fit on my thumb, stamped 14K Mexico.
Damn I hit the Motherlode!
Turns out when tested it wouldn't even make 10K.
It did have some gold content but it was largely brass.
It goes the same way with silver from Mexico.
So, just letting you know not to count that as money in the bank because the sad truth is it's probably fake !
If it's real, congrats but the second you go to sell it they will test it right in front of you.
You might be better selling it as found and described on Ebay as is.
I deal a lot with gold and silver and it's sad to say but much of the bargain jewelry today is a bargain because it is fake and mis stamped and counterfeit jewelry is becoming more and more common.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee

Sep 11, 2013
El Paso, Texas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2 Radio Shack, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2 ES LTD, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol, thanks Msbeepbeep... by coincidence it happens to be jade green inside.

Rustynailsandscrews, don't burst my bubble! you're starting to sound like me when car91rs thinks he found a silver coin or gold ring, lol... I've found 5 silver rings in this old dumpsite which most of the items date from 1900's to 1953 at the latest and car91rs has found a few gold and silver ones. i have also found silver bracelets, spoons, forks, buttons, coins, buckles and crystal containers with sterling tops. On occasion we find costume jewelry made of copper, bronze, brass, tin and lead not to mention a ton of silver plated silverware and a wide assortment of foreign coins. Almost forgot, sterling/gold military pins, medals and buttons. Tokens dating from 1850's - early 1900's.

Chauffeurs Badges from Texas (1935) and New Mexico (1940, 1949-1950) Dog Tax tags (1908, 1921, 1949)

Don't get me started on the old bottles, like ketchup bottles, salt and pepper bottles, wine bottles, whisky bottles, medicine bottles and perfume bottles. Also, marbles, tons of broken plates and purple glass, your pesky lipstick containers, vanity powder cases, toothpaste tubes and metal shoelace guides that ring like silver coins. And that just some of the items that we've found here theres still tons undiscovered. Oh, did i mention the 1913 $5 indian head Gold coin?

That pretty much sums it up... i might have forgotten a few other items I'm sure but for the most part a great part of the items have dates on them.

I know... I known... I went of course. You're asking yourself what does that have to do with the ring, right?

Well, I've tested pretty much all my silver or should I say car91rs has with the exception of this ring and deep in my heart I strongly believe its sterling like all the treasures found here before it. LOL

Last edited:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds man. And the car is pretty cool too!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a wonderful find ! I would clean it up and have a jeweler friend buff it out professionally - that would look great with
the onyx . Don't get me wrong I don't advise people to buff antique jewelry or coins but your ring is circa 1950's 60's in
my estimation, and it would certainly do nothing to affect value -Great find -

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread