280 Year old coin in North Carolina? You bet!!!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
But it takes a lot of research and searching to find one. Since I've been bitten by the colonial relic bug I have been researching my area for early settlements. In my reading I discovered that there was a small settlement along a river bank where they used to load terpintine and tar/pitch onto rafts to float them down the river. I found some wooded property in this immediate area and looked up the owner to get permission and found that it is owned by the county making it fair game for me to detect. I set out today to scout the area not really intending to do any detecting but once I got to the site I couldn't resist. Within 5 minutes my very first solid signal was a steady 84 on my T2. Not really expecting anyting I dug a large plug and flipped it out and to my surprise there it was, an old copper coin. I resisted the urge to scratch off the caked on crud and put it in my pocket. I stuck around for about 30 more minutes and dug a flat button and some other mechanical part. After getting home I rinsed it under water and could make out the left facing bust so I assumed it was a Matron Head large cent. Flipped it over looking for the "One Cent" and there she was (whatever she is? and whatever she is doing?) and I knew right away it was a British coin. After a couple peroxide soaks I could finally make it out to be a 1732 King George II Half Penny. All of you New Englander's that find these regularly may not get excited about digging up a common copper like this but for us southerners these old coins don't surface very often. I am thrilled to find it and even more excited that my research was accurate. I can't wait to get back there in a couple of weeks and see what else I can find.

Attachments

• P1000983.JPG
    P1000983.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 148
  • P1000982.JPG
    P1000982.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Upvote 17

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the research! I'm glad you were able to get to the area and save a great piece of history! Way to go, and I hope there is many more great relics for you to find!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a SWEET find. I hear you about being in the South, but we do find some good stuff down here! Good job on the research, we're saving history that would otherwise be lost in most cases. Keep it up & HH!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin. I have never found one that old in this area of the south. Nice find and glad your research paid off.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE! I found the same exact coin a few weeks ago in Maryland. What a rush. Congrats.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for the kind words and congrats. Its so cool to find a piece of history from things that you have read about through research.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta agree with Tnmountains, Great job on the research, and What a great find for our side(the south). Kepp on hitting it hard my Brother
no telling what else you might pull outta there.............................HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is some great stuff to find in the South. ;)

Glad ya got some of it.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread