Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a lot on here, and many say the Eclipse 6X10 DD is the cats meow... BUT.... Can y'all tell me what the difference is between all of these, which would be best, and why?? I am thinking about a 2nd coil to go along with the stock MXT300 12" coil and want one good for high trash areas, high mineralization for when I get back to Idaho (for gold), AND, hopefully one that is better for the salt beaches than the stock coil...

Eclipse 6X10 DD

Deepscan DD 1400

D2 10"

Thanks in advance....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you golf? Golfers use different clubs for different shots on the course and it is about the same for us detectorists as different types coils and sizes all work better under the right circumstances. The smaller 6X10 DD is great for trashy areas and for finding small gold nuggets. With it's DD configuation it is good for working around rocks and brush out in the boonies.

For the saltwater beaches however a larger coil will work better because of the extra depth needed and coverage. The Deepscan 14 DD might be better at the beach, but not by much than the stock coil. However, "Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a coil that isn't up to the task?"

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.... I seem to read that the stock coil on my MXT (12" spider coil) is too sensitive for salt beaches though..
I know it is supposidly best for non-trashy, large areas, but that the eliptical DD coils are better for highly mineralized (such as salt beaches) areas.... I think I am down to either the 6X10 or the D2 10" for a second coil...

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always keep 3 coils available...I use a DFX.... I get the largest available for field and relic, stock coil that comes with the machine for city and coin, and the smallest available coil for super trashy areas.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You already have the stock 12 inch coil that came with your machine so I am not sure I would go with the 14" DD style. The beaches should be hunted with a dd style coil because it sees a narrower path than your standard concentric does, which makes it adjust for ground conditions easier. I know you stated about the 6X10 being the cat's meow but maybe think about what I am going to suggest. How often do you detect on a regular basis? If your going to buy another coil is it worth the extra cash just to use it on a vacation one time a year? I would suggest getting the most suited DD style coil in the 10" range. The new D2 is for highly mineralized conditions. If you look on the beach alot then I would go for that one because it will do you some good throughout your regular hunting season and you can still use it when you go prospecting. If the beaches you search are a little milder then go for the oblong 6X10 style one because it can still get good enough penetration to get you buy and it is a design that alot of prospecting machines have for the stock coil because I think the design is for kind of getting into some crevices where gold may have settled. I too carry 3 coils with me when I go detecting, the 6x10 dd style one is going to be the one that stays on my MXT for the most part because you can cover ground a little faster than your average concentric one does. I keep the concentric 950 one because it is the best overall coil and can go deeper in a pinch and I carry the 5.3 for areas around older houses because it is deeper than the 4x6dd and still small enough to get in around shrubs, bushes, etc. Just my 2 cents worth, Tim

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice BigTim, thanks... What (besides nugget shooting) would be the advantage, if any, of the eliptical 6X10 over the 10" round D2?
I have found both for sale used, and unless something changes, the D2 is gonna sell for pretty cheap... Everyone seems to want the 6X10 that is for sale...

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when I purchased my 6X10 coil I asked the dealer about the difference between the 6x10 and the newer D2. He told me the D2 was for very high mineralized ground......It may also have a slightly larger footprint but I am not sure.......The dealer is very familiar with where I live and detect so he suggested the 6x10 instead of the D2................If you read a few of the threads on this whites post one of the other T'netters has just added the D2 to to his machine and was very impressed with it. To me the it will probably do the best for you(D2) because you hunt at beaches and I live in Tennessee where there are no slat water beaches................Also I have always tried to buy the best I could afford....SO if you get the D2 cheaper than the 6X10 what a deal that would be!!!!! Before you buy the used coil give Gerry @ Gerry's metal detectors a call and have hime quote you a price on the phone.........I was going to buy a used one too until he told me his price for a new one with a coil cover 208-345-8898 be sure to leave a message because he will definately call you back as soon as possible.Also tell hime what kind of detecting you plan on doing............Tell him Tim in Dickson Tennessee told you to call him..............Let me know how he treats you, Tim

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my 300MM coil when I was on vacation it worked fine for me, don't think you will have a problem with that coil on the beach. I found earrings the set about 2' apart, silver toe ring, and lots of clad.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Surfer.....just my opinion.........but based on my experience, I have the stock 9.5 that came with my DFX, of course. The second coil I added was the 6x10 based upon the dealer's recommendation and lastly I added the 4x6 DD shooter.
I rarely use the stock coil anymore because I think the 6x10 runs more stable in my ground and I can run the pre-amp gain at 4 in almost every location I hunt. BUT.......I will tell you that I am more and more impressed with the little shooter coil every time I use it. I have pulled dimes from beyond 6" inches with the shooter on more than one occasion and it sure does separate the good signals from the trash.

Good luck with whatever choice you make, I'm sure it will serve a purpose for you!!

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread