2nd hunt at Civil War site yields Amazing finds!!! by Tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upon discovering this Civil War site we dug some nice relics before it got to dark to hunt, like a US belt plate and several dropped bullets. We had to wait untill the next weekend to get back but it was well worth the wait. We got an early start, 8am and we hunted untill 5pm. We were pretty tired of digging! I dug around 120 bullets, including many nice carved bullets. John dug about the same amount, we had a great time and will be returning soon. My buddy Chris will post my pics for me. Thanks for looking. Tsgman

Upvote 0

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
jeff of pa said:
I'm Not A Big CIVIL WAR Relic Fan.

Mainly because I Live TOO far From any Civil War Sites to Search,

But That is an AWSOME COLLECTION !

? ? ? ? ? Congrats Tsgman.

Keep the Finds & Pictures Coming.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HAPPY HUNTING.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Jeff

I find this hard to believe Jeff, not sure what you consider too far, but surely you could find someone to hook you up with some hunting in the VA area if not Pittsburg area although that is somewhat considerable distance

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
comfyinvermont said:
Hey Tsgman, those are some great finds.? I notice a boot toe plate and part of a stirrup in there too.? It's very hard to look at your finds and look out my window as the snow is coming down, and I know that there is no more hunting till April, but I wish you well anyway!!!? How many different kinds of bullets have you found there?? Congrats...Lance
Hi Lance, I think the majority of the drops are 54 caliber but we have 57 and 58 also. I found the only 69 caliber so far and we have around 400 bullets found between John and myself. This is why we think the Mo State Guard may have been here, because The Union Camps I hunt here produce mainly 69 Caliber bullets. The Gov. of Mo. fled the Capital in Jefferson City with the State Guard when Gen. Lyon was after them. The State Guard were not that well trained and about the same as the Home Guard. Early in the war they seemed to be easily scattered by the Fed. Troops. in several engagements.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
tsgman said:
Thanks Lonewolfe, I think we have only scratched the surface on this site. It's exciting because this is the first untouched site that I have been lucky enough to help find.
Frank, if you check the 3rd pic down and look at the bullet bottom row on the far right, that is a chewed bullet. They are sometimes referred to as hospital bullets. The other bullets Snee was referring to are possibly cleaner bullets.

just incredible! man............to think that some poor soul had to endure surgury while biting that damn bullet is enough to make you think about how terrible the civil war really was........just an unbelievable collection! thanks for posting it.

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, only bullets that have been carved to look like a comb. Possibly a mustache comb?

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Ooh ok, that's what you meant by carved bullets.? I figured you had found bullets that had been hand-carved from pieces of lead of something...

Well, now that I've proclaimed my ignorance in this area, I'll be off! :D

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering what the actual GPS coordinates were and the name and telephone number of the land owner.

Thanks
Chris

HAHAHAHA!

:D

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Excellent find. There is a sight right across the AL/MS border where Union troops did target practice before the march to Mobile. Even today you can find a bullet and it has been checked with a fine tooth comb!

MichaelB

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Tim, looks like a great site to me. I've seen other bullet carvings as well, chess pieces and dice also. Good luck Sunday and may a CS belt plate shine on you at some point in your hunt.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Do confederate and union belt plates run around the same prices, or is one worth more? Are there different kinds for different ranks in the military? Only until I found out CW stuff happened in my town the other week, I was never interested in the CW. Now I'm all interested in it. It turns out there were a few scrimishes here. Also union forces occupied Salem throughout the entire war (except briefly, when after the confederacy lost the battle of salem, some of them returned and burned down the courthouse and jail out of retaliation). So if I do some research, I'm sure I can find stuff around here...

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S
Snee said:
Do confederate and union belt plates run around the same prices, or is one worth more?? Are there different kinds for different ranks in the military?? Only until I found out CW stuff happened in my town the other week, I was never interested in the CW.? Now I'm all interested in it.? It turns out there were a few skirmishes here.? Also union forces occupied Salem throughout the entire war (except briefly, when after the confederacy lost the battle of salem, some of them returned and burned down the courthouse and jail out of retaliation).? So if I do some research, I'm sure I can find stuff around here...
[/quoteSnee, the CSA stuff has more value due to the limited resources of the South. Most of the Southern troops used whatever they could find, including the Union clothes and equipment. They would turn the US buckles upside down and even wear those. The officers buckle's were different. Salem has quite a lot of CW history. You are lucky you live around that area due to the amount of activity during the war. My advise, do your research and talk to the old timers. You can some great info from them. You may not know this but Missouri was 2nd only to Tennessee in number of engagements! Good luck! Tsgman

R

rvbvetter

Amazing finds!!! I've got my fingers crossed that you guys will find a CS belt plate with stars.
WTG!! HH

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Ok everyone here is the GPS Coordinates

North:? 37.10161
West:? 93.40722

Jeff Patrick
(417) 732-2662

Good Luck to all!? Maybe you too can find what they have been finding.? This will be your only way.? Attached is a picture of the landowners place and where you have to enter the property!

Attachments

• digsite.jpg
    digsite.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 369

ashdigger

May 29, 2005
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks for the GPS Grids... livetoplay..

Now WE can go................ maybe

The photo sure looks differant to me.....how did you come up with these numbers?......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread