2nd One in 37 years

Lee43

Oct 29, 2006
East central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
2nd One In 37 Years 09/30/2008 21:25 Karma: 8
As I was going home last evening I saw that one of our new fields had the beans out, I called Larry and told him and so today we went to check it. We found the the house site, saw pottery shards, glass etc. and we started finding the usual house site "junk" a while into the hunt I got a decent signal and out popped a nice 1871 2 cent piece, a little more rarer date and I was happy with that, a little while later Larry got and Indian, not sure of the date, later in the day I got a very nice signal, Larry checked it and said if there ever was a good coin signal that was it, as I dug out the dirt I saw the coin in the bottom of the hole and I said to larry that it was another 2 cent piece, he picked it up and said that it didn't look like a 2 center, as I looked a little closer I saw the reverse and it said Half Cent, the date is 1850...It is only the second half cent I have ever dug in 37 years of MDing and the first one came last year at one of Jim's sites. It really made my day. We both got misc. brass items, I ended up with 5 flat buttoms, 3 have Back Marks, the piece in the center below the buttons has some entwined latters that I have not figured out yet. Thanks for looking.............Lee

Attachments

• 930a.jpg
    930a.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 890
  • 930c.jpg
    930c.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 858
  • 930b.jpg
    930b.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 862
  • 930d.jpg
    930d.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 862
Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Lee, congrats on what I consider an AWESOME find. My group found a lot of Draped Bust half cents and Classic Heads, but never any Braided Hair ones. That is a very special find, buddy, considering that you don't see the Braided Hair half cents being post often.

Now, get back out there and dig us another one!!!

Kyle

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one HECK of a find! Bravo to you!! I haven't found a HC yet--but eventually I will. Zoy is right, you don't see many Braided HC's posted--some of the restrikes for those are quite rare.

I'd say you had an Excellent hunt. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your second half cent. :thumbsup: I was lucky enough to find my first this year. An 1809 classic head.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Lee!
I have been hunting since the late '70's & still haven't found a 1/2 cent!
HH! Dale

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good eye to spot that field.
Nice coins no matter how long you have been waiting. Bet your heart was racing.

SKD

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet there was a couple of 'YeeHaws' and happy dance on those finds! :o That is just awesome, Lee! :thumbsup: Fantastic hunt!!!

Many congrats! Nana :)

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW ~ that's one sweet find! I'm still looking for my first two-cent piece and half cent! VERY NICE!! WOOHOO!!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your 2nd Half Cent and a Braided Hair (Coronet type) Half Cent is not found too often since there were not many minted to begin with along with the unpopularity of the general public not using Half Cents, especially in the later years of issue. A Two center and IH just makes for a complete successful hunt! :thumbsup:

I have a nice sized collection of Half Cents, but my newest one is 1826, due to the age of the sites I hunt. It would be nice to see a Braided Hair HC in a hole someday. :)

Don

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I would say that's the find of a lifetime, but you did it twice, congrats and keep'em coming

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread