2nd Silver coin...1874

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
Greetings...
found my second silver coin yesterday after purchasing my detector in May....pretty good shape from what i know. Any "ballpark" guesses on what it could grade out? Any idea on value (trying to rationalize to the wife that the detector was a good "investment" .. lol) I was excited and wanted to share my excitement with people who appreciate it!! Great forum

Attachments

• 50 cent tail.jpg
    50 cent tail.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 628
Upvote 0

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an excellent find! We need to see the other side of the coin, date and LIBERTY on her to grade it better.

Nice!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome condition, no idea of the grade but I'll bet it's high! HH, Mike

OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
Here is the other side. Thanks to what I have learned on this forum...all I have done to the coin is soak in water for a few hours and blotted dry. How can I safely clean the coin, or should i just leave it as is. There is still some dirt, etc on it. Oh, my first coin was a 1902 barber dime found on Father's Day!

Attachments

• head 50.jpg
    head 50.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 603

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET! I'd put it as Extra Fine, $300 or better. There's a big jump in pricing from Fine to Extra Fine. But if you're selling it... it all depends on what someone would pay.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where'd you dig it at? How deep? Got a story with it?

Chris

markgPA

Jan 13, 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
Congrats on a great coin.
I wouldn't clean it at all. Awesome condition.
HH
Mark G

D

doyboy

That coin is in XF-40 or even AU-50. It looks to have the original mint luster still. Just clean it with soap and water. Great find!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the looks of it I would have to say it would grade XF.
Wow! What a way to start. The first 2 silver coins are a Barber and a Seated.
Can't get any better than that.

OP
OP
S

stranger

Jun 14, 2006
THanks for the replies. I was pretty excited over finding it, and for an instant, it actually looked fake to me. Suprised how bright it was pulling if from the soil. That was the same with the barber dime i found also...great feeling.

Anyway, found it on an old home site on our property. Not sure when it was there, but all visible signs of the buildings have been gone for over 60-70 years. Dad thinks the home was in use somewhere around mid 1800's. I'd estimate it came from 5-6" deep. There is a TON of junk...I was heading back to the truck and got a good signal amonst the junk...actually showed up as $.50 on my BH sharpshooter II. I centered the good signal and it was right in the middle of my plug. Pretty exciting..especially since i'm new to the hobby. Actually, back in high school...i had a white's detector...on with no descrimination...only a sensitivity knob. Never found anything good..and after 2 months with a modern detector, i've found quite a few modern coins, a 1920 wheat penny, a 1902 barber dime and now this 50 cent piece. Also found a pocketwatch which i posted under "what is it" and a lot of late 1800's military cartrige cases and bullets. Having lots of fun.

I have a question for the experienced. WHen i'm looking at the old home sites...the detector is going off constantly. Tons of junk. BUt my question is, from what i understand, i could be missing gold. But how in the world can you get gold if you don't dig everything..and that would be totally impossible to dig everything in these locations. Also, difficult to locate the good stuff because of the other junk buried amongst. Example was this 50 cent piece....lots of junk around it, thinking i just got lucky

Here is a pic of the barber dime and 1920 wheat penny....the dime was in pretty good condition also.

Attachments

• dime penny.jpg
    dime penny.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 556

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Great seated liberty (AU) "DON"T clean trust me!!!"

D

doyboy

Clean it with soap and water. It does not degrade the value. That coin was probably dropped in 1875.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean... don't clean... clean... don't clean... ::) ::) ::)

Don't, unless you have to, soak it lightly in distilled water, dab it dry. Got a humidifier at home producing pure water? No chlorine in it.

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW............GREAT FIND. BEING YOUR 2ND SILVER, I BET YOUR RELUCTANT TO SELL IT,I KNOW I WOULD . YOUR FIRST SILVER WASNT TOO SHABBY EITHER. I VOTE DONT CLEAN. CONGRATS PFP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread