Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last time I posted here I told you about the ring return I made in less than 10 minutes. That was really easy since the guy only lost it in his backyard the day before. This latest ring find was actually requested before that one was found.
I got a message on Facebook back on August 6th from a friend of mine. She told me that her friend George lost his wedding ring in a local lake here after stepping off a boat to play with his kids.He was super bummed of course especially with his anniversary coming up in 8 days. I was determined to find that ring before then. The guy was playing catch with his family and friends when the ring slipped off. He sent pictures and I questioned him excessively trying to get any clues as to where he was at the time. We narrowed it down to an area roughly the size of a football field in knee deep water. The first trip out there was really promising, the water was clear shallow and sandy with virtually no trashy signals. I figured I would be finding this ring in no time. 2 hours into the hunt I was getting tired and cold and called it a day. The next trip out the very next day produced the same results, but this time I had about 1 hour into the hunt when I looked down and saw that my Kruzer had completely shut off. I saw the water spot behind the screen. The Multi Kruzer was flooded and I had to send it back to Georgia for repair. The 3rd trip I got 2 guys to help in the hunt and with my Multi Kruzer control box in the mail, I was given a loaner AT Pro with a huge Nel Coil for me to use. I thought we'd have this ring for sure this time. After 3 hours we called it a day with nothing but ring pulls and water can slaw in our pouches. 2 weeks later I got a brand new Kruzer control box back from Van in Georgia. I couldn't be happier. I was out at the lake that Sunday. Still the ring eluded me after 3 hours searching. I did manage to get a leech stuck to my ankle. That was interesting and gross. I still have the wound on my ankle and it still itches sometimes. I was kind of getting frustrated at this point, but still I knew the ring was out there since it was not in a place where tons of people or detectorists are going to go but the days were getting colder, I had to find this ring, I was getting obsessed. I was going to be on call this weekend and I just couldn't wait another week, so I took a vacation day on Friday the 13th, and gee i didn't notice the significance of that date till just now! :laughing7: That Thursday night I was looking at the photos, Comparing the tree line on the shore, looking for markers and clues, how far out was he and in what relation to the shore? It was then that I saw that he was not parallel to the shore but at an angle. He got off the boat and was moving toward the shore diagonally This was important and so was the depth of the water as seen in the picture. I was going to use this new knowledge to find that ring on Friday. See? This is obsession! I got out there at 7:45 . It was colder than usual, 59 degrees, and windy! I had my wet suit and boots on and my wife's crocheted hat. I was ready and leech proofed. I got my little boat out there , i was getting tossed around by the waves and was not feeling it this time. The water was dark with no visibility even in the ankle deep water. My first pass in front of the boat was uneventful. I got a pull tab signal and a rusty can all the while noting the depth of the water was to my knees. I was getting cold though, I wouldn't be able to stay too long. I then moved out further behind the boat but the water was getting deeper and i knew this wasn't right. Then as I moved further out the water started to get shallow again. I started to have a good feeling about this even though my hands were growing numb. I was only about 10 feet into the swinging when I got a crisp 34 on my Makro Kruzer. I knew it then before putting my scoop to the sand that I had it. I made the scoop and detected the sandy bottom again, the signal was gone! I started to slosh the sand out of the scoop until the only thing left was a the sound of something solid inside. i slowly peered in and saw that big beautiful ring. I tell you I almost cried when I saw that in there. A wave of emotion swept over me and I just started yelling, I found it I FOUND IT!! I was no longer cold but so happy I could get out of that water. I texted George asking him if he could guess what I just found. I believe he thought he would never see that ring again. He was ecstatic. We met at 12:15 and I made the return. I admit i got a little weepy, Hey, I'm emotional guy, and I had invested a ton of time into this one and I loved every minute of it too. He had already gotten me a gift card, So I didn't protest too much that I was always in this just for the return. He is now a happy Pre-Ordered owner of a Nokta/Makro Simplex. and I am the proud owner of a Grave Digger Tombstone, courtesy of a 100 dollar gift card.
The first picture is where George was playing Catch with the kids.
The second picture is where I found the ring
The fourth picture is the ring return to George at his house.
The fifth picture is my new Grave Digger Shovel.

Attachments

• received_2933624250196969[1].jpeg
    received_2933624250196969[1].jpeg
    942.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190913_091901[1].jpg
    20190913_091901[1].jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190917_112826[1].jpg
    20190917_112826[1].jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 44
  • received_633337227075333[1].jpeg
    received_633337227075333[1].jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 1099143739[1].jpg
    1099143739[1].jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Upvote 13

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honorable Mention Vote!:headbang:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story wow Honorable mention my friend your a good man

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to joke with Cru'dad, when it came to Ring returns, more than 2 minutes is slow.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice !!! Good Job !!!! Congrats!!!! Determination is Always a Must!!!!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:Good work. Persistence DOES pay. I say honorable mention as well. Keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread