3/23 skunk...

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Got my box. On the interesting side...it is back to the usual 5X5X2 box. This one was not sealed with tape, however the rolls were crimped properly on both ends.

No silver. No proofs. I found a 2002-D that was beat up enough not to save. Also a pair of 1991 Gem uncirculated halves. I am assuming that is what they are, as they would easily qualify as a proof, but the JFK is NOT frosted.

Also, I am slowly accumulating some 1997-D halves that were struck slightly off-center...the upper right part has no rim, but the lower left side has a slightly wider rim. Once I have a full roll I might put it on ebay and see what I can get.

And also, someone marked a lot of these with magic marker. So it was made up of previously searched halves.

I had thought of going out last Saturday morning to some outlying areas to look for loose rolls, but the hardest thing in the world for me is to wake up before noon on weekends. I have been a night-owl all my life....certainly in my days as a full-time rock guitarist...and my body clock still operates that way when I have days off or on weekends.

So Tuesday I stopped by half a dozen banks in town. Found my first 1991 gem uncirculated like the ones mentioned above. Also one teller had an Ike in her tray....no key date, nothing special, but I had not had one in almost 30 years so I snagged it. I ended up with $220 in halves, and got nothing.
Seems there are students at Vanderbilt U who CRH, so I am going to avoid the downtown banks when hunting.

I am out of town next week on a business trip and will have no time to search banks where I will be going, and will be gone on my usual Thursday, so I told my personal teller not to order one next week.

I am going to try to wake up early tomorrow haha, and go through with my original plan to hit some banks in outlying areas.

Happy hunting everyone!!
8)

Upvote 0

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on the 1997D's. Those really are not off-center, they are what is known as mis-aligned dies. If you look at the other side most of them will be centered. They are quite common and you might find it difficult to find someone who will pay a premium. Hope you do though.

OP
OP
MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Obverse..black magic marker through "We Trust".

Well, if the 1997-Ds are just misaligned dies, I will turn them in. No use keeping stuff that is not worth my while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread