3 cent piece!

trapper bob

Mar 22, 2005
mid-michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinshooter 2, Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Bounty Hunter Landstar, Bounty Hunter Lonestar
variety 1 (1851-53)
any ideas on how to clean?
(even though I don`t want to) lol 3 cent.jpg
3 cent.jpg

Attachments

• 3 cent 2.jpg
    3 cent 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 742
Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice piece of silver there :icon_thumleft:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Nice three center. Lot a detail. I don't know how to clean it but I'm sure someone will be along shortly. The guys from the UK have some good cleaning methods for silver. Maybe they can help.

Randy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that's a great find! I've never found one. Personally I'd leave it as-is.

But if you really want to clean I would imagine that there are several possibilities for cleaning... I have not tried any of them but the last one (and I wasn't pleased with that) so I'll leave it to others to speak about their effectiveness.

1. the aluminum foil trick

2. aluminum jelly applied and then rinsed off

3. baking powder soak (there is a post in the Cleaning section by EU citizen about this method)

4. baking soda rub (I have tried this one before and I wasn't pleased. It was too abrasive and gave the coin a polished look)

Regards,

Buckles

P.S.--you could try soaking it for a while in lemon juice too

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it be trapper bob Why you might ask. Well then it will have two problems maybe three. #1 problem is environmental damage. #2 problem cleaned and #3 scratched rubbed etc...

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Those 3 centers are one of the prettiest coins in my opinion. I would love to find one myself one day. Congrats on a great find!

Ray

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, those are rare to find. In ten years of detecting i have only seen
one come up, my buddy Weaver found it.

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
nothing but water and a soft toothbrush
nice coin!!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grea find. I would just soak it in vinager for a couple of days....Matt

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Cleaning is a personal decision. Most coin buffs only clean a little. I evaluate the cleaning process this way. Clean enough, with soap and water to see date and ID coin. Check price. If is is over $100 don,t clean any more, maybe get professionally done. If $25 or less clean repeatedly until cleaning process does not make a noticeable change. If during the process y see a lot of detail, I may leave it here. most of my good finds end up being shown at my club so I usually stop when the detail is good, completely cleaned or not.

A note on the price of a coin. A dug coin usually won,t be worth the lowest price listed in a price guide. Environmental damage can play havoc on buried coins. I have never personally found a coin over $25. Everyone likes to think there finds are worth a lot, me included.

The bottom line is this a dug coin or any for that matter is really worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Ed D.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

HH

Nighthunter

Jun 10, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Great find Trapper. Nice looking coin just the way it is, but if you do decide to clean it, let us know how it turns out. Found a two cent once, never a three cent-er. Maybe I'll get to upgrade some day too. HH

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd try heating peroxide in a small cup in the microwave until it starts to boil, then drop it in. Mainly used for copper coins, but it;s the least damaging act you can do. other than leaving it as it is. Which is what I'd do. She's a beauty!
Carl

OP
OP
trapper bob

trapper bob

Mar 22, 2005
mid-michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinshooter 2, Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Bounty Hunter Landstar, Bounty Hunter Lonestar
Thanks for all the congrats! and cleaning ideas. This coin is Redbook about $40------finding one ,after hunting on and off since the 70`s, with all the warts and greeny globs is PRICELESS.... I am not going to clean it and will show it off, brag, smurck, snicker, hoot and holler, 8) and maybe find another one in the next 30 yrs.

HH all--------Bob ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread