Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got off early on Friday and was able to go to a spot I'd detected before. Found a few keepers, 1 Zincoln, a musket ball, about .50 caliber down a whopping 10 inches. The digger doesn't go that deep, and I was using the pinpointer to try to find it and the whiteness of the ball was at the bottom, and I could spot it. Then I dug a couple horseshoes and finally had a squeaker of a signal and dug a tiny watch winder. I have only found two of these. Also found this here car. View attachment IMG_0688.JPG

Saturday I helped my friends find their property markers. It wasn't especially easy and was quite tiring. We found four of the five. He is getting a laser to measure to the last one. It's under a two foot thick brush pile. As we are looking, the new neighbor comes over and we introduce ourselves (no we are not detecting on her property, much), we were off by about 10'. She knew where the marker was and I found it quickly. Thank you God. Those briers were getting annoying, trying to snake the loop through them. After a long conversation I got her permission to dig her farm. There was also confirmed Civil War activity there. Got modern bullets, some clad near the house, aluminum cans, four property stakes!, an Eagle I button, a NY button, with a push, a "snake", could be Civil War, but these were made much later also, probably CW, but there is a lot of WWI area items on the property. One minie not shown. All in all, exhausting, but a good day. And a new permission to boot. Please chime in on the snake, think it's CW? Only the second one I've ever found. I think I pretty much wrecked the patina trying to clean it some. And people who live in expensive houses shouldn't throw out gold. Nice ladies 14k ring with I assume sapphires in it. Probably about a size 7. View attachment IMG_0687.jpg

Sunday I met another Tnetter on his site. We hunted in the rain. Yup, the rain. It has been hunted a lot but I did recover a really cool piece of square copper wire, don't know the use, two silvered colonial buttons, a broken colonial cufflink, the 2nd one (I think) I've ever dug, 1881 Indian Cent, two inner pieces of a pocket watch and the folded over thing is the back of the watch. I'll try to straighten it. Carefully. My favorite find was a small 18th century buckle and then I found a later brass buckle. Probably for a horse. One of the last signals of the day is the dampened coin as shown. I think it's a Liberty Cap US Half Cent! That would be a first for me. At first I thought it was a farthing but it is not. I am not touching it, I'm calling PCGS when they open and see if they can conserve it. I think there is enough crud left on it, there will be something underneath if done right.

It was a great, but hard three days. View attachment IMG_0683.JPG View attachment IMG_0682.jpg View attachment IMG_0681.jpg View attachment IMG_0684.jpg View attachment IMG_0689.jpg View attachment IMG_0685.jpg View attachment IMG_0686.jpg

Upvote 26

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are examples of "snake" loops for both belts and accoutrement attachments from the CW period. Yours is in GREAT shape regardless of the period. Most of the the CW accredited snake buckles are viewed as Confederate...there are folks here that have a much greater breadth of knowledge on these than I have. Hopefully they will chime in. If you can find out if the activity was early, mid or late war, that might shed a bit more light as well.
Another great hunt....nicely done.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That "S" snake buckle is a really nice find - WTG!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''Please chime in on the snake, think it's CW?''

Nope much later 20th C type, I've seen them on modern sailors belts. (although I just read some-where they think they are Confederate??) Any-one have any references?

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I see that snake in some cw references but the snakes themselves are kinda generic. I prefer the ring, car, little buckle and especially the us half cent from this weekend. Talked to PCGS and sending it to them tomorrow. No guarantees up front.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I see that snake in some cow references but the snakes themselves are kinda generic. I prefer the ring, car, little buckle and especially the us half cent from this weekend. Talked to PCs and sending it to them tomorrow. No guarantees up front.
There are many types I have seen. Is this a plain back or decorated?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
STC has done it again, congrats on all of the nice finds.

The half cent is really a killer find. It's tough enough to find a Liberty Cap cent, the half cent is WAY rarer. I hope that it turns out well.

Again, congrats and good luck!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The snake is full 3D with scales on the back. Tom. Coin shipping tomorrow to the pros to hopefully clean. Have another 50 acres of land to dig.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The snake is full 3D with scales on the back. Tom. Coin shipping tomorrow to the pros to hopefully clean. Have another 50 acres of land to dig.
I had that exact type as a Navy Cadet on a blue elastic belt, pretty sure its a 20th C variant & not earlier like some think.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, you can easily be right but I'll still take it. Peruna, the site had two dates for activity, mid 1863 and mid 1864. Main activity for the site was probably associated with the Gettysburg campaign. And a lot of the coins we get from the site are 1880's to 1930's.

The coin is being packaged right now for shipment to the grader tomorrow. I hope they won't just laugh at it, charge me the $10 laughing fee and ship it back untouched. There is a lot of sandy dust stuck to it, so I'm hopeful they can do something for it. I think there is coin under there. Still jazzed about the coin. Bought the standard $69 yearly membership with PCGS.

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome snake s buckle

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Relicific. Here is a picture of the (mostly) straightened out round silver coated brass item. I think it's the back of an old pocket watch, or the biggest dandy button ever, but I don't see a place for the shank. View attachment IMG_0694.jpg

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Smokey! I'm sure you were using the Deus HF Elliptical coil again. I would say if there was period stuff from the Civil War found and you were told that Civil War activity occurred at the site then the snake has a better chance at being CW than post CW. Either way, it is an awesome find and you have new life at a new permission.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....I should have the half cent back here in a few days. They could not get enough off it to grade it. It was worth the try, maybe they got enough detail for me to see if it's truly a Liberty Cap. I'll know soon. Rats.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokey, you are certainly one very busy detectorist.The snake loop is really cool,and the 14k ring is awesome.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 52 weekends every year, plus some holidays not on weekends. I do about 70 weekends a year. :laughing7:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for inspiration, you always remind me of what is possible with your unique finds!! Proof that there is more to dirt than pull tabs, crushed beer cans and nails..... there is a pony under there somewhere :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread