3 piece shaft ATpro wont come apart

langsy

Feb 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have used the ATP in salt water for a year now and i was going to take it apart, the upper and lower shaft to clean it , well i squeezed the ball bearings together but the shafts wont move , twist or turn or anything its frozen together. any suggestions what cleaner might loosen up the minerals deposits to break the shaft loose?

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is some stuff called aerokroil that might loosen it up.Won't guarantee it but it has always worked on everything i used it on.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending on what the shaft is made of,heat it up with a propane torch,but gently:laughing9:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use some penetrating oil, like WD-40.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATP upper shaft is aluminum and the twist locks are plastic, do not heat!! Penetrating oil will not at all help with salt build up, nor will it loosen aluminum/salt corrosion. There is probably aluminum/salt corrosion in the upper shaft and if so it may never come apart. I'd try soaking it in hot water in your bathtub, maybe for a day or more. You'll have to replace the hot water as it cools down. You need to disassemble and flush any detector's shafts with fresh water after EVERY time it is used in salt water. Good luck with it, but after a year I sadly think it is too late.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATP upper shaft is aluminum and the twist locks are plastic, do not heat!! Penetrating oil will not at all help with salt build up, nor will it loosen aluminum/salt corrosion. There is probably aluminum/salt corrosion in the upper shaft and if so it may never come apart. I'd try soaking it in hot water in your bathtub, maybe for a day or more. You'll have to replace the hot water as it cools down. You need to disassemble and flush any detector's shafts with fresh water after EVERY time it is used in salt water. Good luck with it, but after a year I sadly think it is too late.

It doesn't take long for the shafts to bond together. Hot water bath is the best Idea. But there is probably small sand particles in it too.

After your baths, and then flushing with a hose as best you can, you would need to use a twisting motion while pulling apart. You will probably have to clamp one end in a clamp, it is hard for someone to hold it while you twist it back and forth. (if you get it to move a small bit you are on the winning side!)

I have a wood clamp on the end of my woodworking table, But careful not to crush or bend!!!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would just call it good as a one piece shaft.the risk of damage vs.the reward of taking it apart doesnt add up.unless you must have it apart for shipping....learn to love your new one piece shaft say I

good luck

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gunsil is absolutely correct. No Heat!
I will add no petroleum based solvents.
A good long warm soak is yur best bet.
Good luck.
Peace

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know but I kind of agree with bigfoot on this one...if its really that stuck together I would worry about messing something up trying to get it apart. Like he said, I would just settle on it being a one piece unit.

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just call it good as a one piece shaft.the risk of damage vs.the reward of taking it apart doesnt add up.unless you must have it apart for shipping....learn to love your new one piece shaft say I

good luck

I don't know but I kind of agree with bigfoot on this one...if its really that stuck together I would worry about messing something up trying to get it apart. Like he said, I would just settle on it being a one piece unit.

I would quickly get the patent rights for this new shaft and cash in on the big bucks. :thumbsup:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Bigfoot as well, any time you begin forcing anything, you risk the chance of making things a lot worse. try the simple fixes (with out the heat) if they don't work, stop while you are still ahead. ( I once thought I was still ahead after chasing a horse with a chew of Redman in my mouth... I quickly discovered that I was way behind since I didn't chew and the ensuing pukidness assured that I never did.) just saying

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread