3 rare, unusual, good finds at last of 2014

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I'll post the rare. I found this token at an early school started in 1895 for children of Mexican descent when they were also segregated. It is a sheep shear's token from approximately 1900 to 1910 era.
Seahorn & Friend, Ozona, Texas
Good for 50 sheep shorn
MVC-007S.jpg
MVC-006S.jpg

Next the unusual. I was detecting a vacant lot in an area that was populated in the early 1900'S.
All I was finding was new beer cans & can slaw down about six inches, I got a hit that was a little different and dug a mangled piece of metal that all covered with dirt just looked like another piece of can slaw but it felt heavy so I put in the good side of my pouch until I got home. At home it still looked like junk and I walked over and dropped in the junk box, but when I turned loose of it, I thought "No" that feels too heavy, so I dug it out of the junk box and washed it off. Upon seeing it the lights began turning on and I realized it was a sterling silver horseshoe ring that was crushed.
I took some photos of it as it was dug and then straightened it some for more photos. 10.8 grams.
finds 016.jpg
finds 013.jpg
finds 014.jpg
finds 019.jpg

Finally the good. Found in a park close to my house that I had looked over the area a hundred times through the years and never found anything substantial but an area that was close and easy for a short hunt. After thirty minutes, I went home with this 14K bi-color, size 7, 6.3 grams.
MVC-003S.jpg
MVC-002S.jpg

Good Luck & HH

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Capa dirte

Greenie
Dec 26, 2014
Elverson PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a little clueless to what some of them are but they are great finds nonetheless!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! I'd encourage you to post pics of the token on TokenCatalog.com - it is a "piecework" token. As the shearer would do his work, he would receive a token for every sheep shorn, but to keep from filling up his pockets with "1 sheep shorn" tokens, the company used higher "denominations" like this. He might swap ten "1" tokens for a "10", and later in the day swap five "10s" for this 50. The paymaster would exchange money for tokens at the current going rate when it was time for the shearer to collect his pay.
John in the Great 208

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. That token is a really nice find. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
J

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thank everyone for their comments. The shearer token seems to be very rare, on line I found 1 token by this company for 1 shorn sheep and they were asking $40, I found several other tokens similar to it by other companies for 1 or five shorn sheep, but I could find none for 50. A local token collector offered me a $100 for it, but I collect tokens myself and it will remain in my collection.
Good Luck & HH

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet finds! I really like finding tokens.. they often have your/or an area on them. They have "character" so that makes em neat. I love researching them to learn the history of the area and times. Good recovery on the silver too.. If I think I can straighten something out, I'll try. I mean, it's not hurting the value as it might in undug items. And the gold - it even looks heavy! WTG! They seem like promises of a good New Year..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread