3 ring bullet info

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Big, I have not found a CW bullet but I do cast bullets and shoot both modern and antique replicas.

The Springfield .58 caliber Minie-type was .5775 in diameter and weighed about 500 grains. I have a mold that drops this bullet of almost pure lead that weight 512 grains.

The .577 Enfield was a smooth-sided conical bullet with a hollow base like the Minie. Size is in the name, .577. It did not have grease grooves (the rings) but used a type of waxed paper wrapped around its sides along with tallow pushed in to the hollow base for lubricant. These bullets of English origin weighed a little more at about 530 grains.

The .69 caliber was for the Harper's Ferry rifle. It was a beast at about 730 grains and it was a scaled-up Minie design with exterior grease grooves we all call "rings". These bullets are of .685 diameter before firing. On firing they expand several thousanths as do all the above bullets.

All of these bullets were loaded with loose powder and loose bullet but most were incorporated into a paper cartridge that held the powder and bullet together to facilitate loading in a hurry. A percussion cap set off the main charge.

Hope this helps.

Old Town

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread