3 Silver Coins and a Watzit

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I went out Saturday with my uncle to try and find a Union Encampment...we never found it. It was raining pretty hard ad we didn't get to hunt much. I did get permission to hunt an old abandoned house and I found this whatzit. It has what looks like a symbol of a Chrysanthemum on the front. Is is a box to but primers in, a pill box or a compact. I opened it hoping there would be a goild coin in it like JD's but no luck there. I went to the old faithful site on Sunday morning an pulled out this Standing Liberty Quarter...it worn pretty bad and there is no date but is has an "S" mintmark an "M"...is the M for the designer Morgan? The Barber Dimes are 1899 and 1903...These are the first dimes that I have found there and both are Barbers on the same day.

Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• watzit1.closed.JPG
    watzit1.closed.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 369
  • watzit1.open.JPG
    watzit1.open.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 362
  • Liberty.barbersfront.JPG
    Liberty.barbersfront.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 374
  • Standing.barbers.rev.JPG
    Standing.barbers.rev.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 0

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Classic I, Minelab Sovereign, Garret GTX 2500, BH 3300
NIce coins...The whatzit looks like an old snuff box to me. Ladies and Gentlemen used them to carry snuff, which was a fashionable vice in the 1700- early 1900s. Maybe it was for those pinchers who desired a sneeze once and again.

Saber

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice compact, it's an early one . But would you no it ,no gold coin....nothing like going back to old reliable and pull some old silver coins out.....Keep posting........Seeker

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds daniel!! The M on the front of the coin is for the designer,Hermon A.MacNeil.WTG!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice silver Daniel. I found a beat up standing liberty last weekend also. I'll take them though. There harder to find than barber quarters. I think atleast. Keep looking for the camp. You may have been right near it.

HH Jer

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!, very nice finds, WTG!!!
That 1903 Barber looks to have some great detail under the crud...
Not a clue as to what the original purpose of the compact/pill-box thingy would be...
Good luck on getting a positive ID, & Happy hunting~

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
too bad that 1903 barber is not an S . great finds especially the SLQ. for some reason you dont see many of them dug.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coins! Tsgman

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins! My vote is for a snuff tin, for what it's worth. Sounds like you've got a great "old reliable" spot there! HH!

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Your backup site [ old faithful ]sure gave up some nice silver. I bet that made your rainy day a bit brighter. Hope the weather clears for ya so you and your uncle can get out and find that encampment. HH!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Daniel!

Congrats!

;)