3 silvers, 1 fried LC, and an eagle buckle

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Went back to the last place I hunted, which was a wooded area next to an old ballfield. The place just keeps producing. So far I have found about 22 silvers, 3 large cents and assorted other artifacts. On my latest visit I got a real nice Barber quarter, 2 mercury dimes, 1 fried large cent and an old buckle with an eagle on it. I'll be skiing in Colorado all next week. But I'll have something to look forward to when I get back from my ski trip to Colorado.

Here's the Barber quarter:

silver +eagle 001.JPG

silver +eagle 002.JPG

The mercs: silver +eagle 003.JPG

A fried large cent:

silver +eagle 004.JPG

silver +eagle 005.JPG

And the eagle buckle. I'd appreciate any info you may have on it.

silver +eagle 006.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Wow..That Barber is a beauty! Awesome buckle and other finds as well! :thumbsup:

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet Barber. Great finds all around!

U

umrgolf

If nobody offers up info on the buckle you should pm kuger.. he knows his stuff when it comes to buckles of this type as well as anyone here :icon_thumleft:

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!! The condition of that quarter is incredible!!
:icon_thumright:

Joe

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope no one is posting while I was in the book, but I think I found your plate. It is on page 245 of Kerksis book. It is an 1870 Militia plate.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that eagle buckle "looks" like a drooped wing style confederate, if im correct you may want to look for the rest.
Pro-

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a wonderful day! :icon_sunny:

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Nice buckle tongue! :icon_thumright:

You have found the tongue portion of a two-piece cast brass Tongue & Wreath buckle. These T&W type buckles were very popular in the mid-19th Century. This particular style of eagle is apparently 1870's-1880's, based on the consensus of expert collectors. To my knowledge, no examples of this exact style design have been found in context with American Civil War sites or earlier. Although not of CW vintage, the piece is an attractive buckle and will display well in most any collection. Find the matching wreath, and you have a very nice complete T&W buckle! :)

CC Hunter

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CC Hunter said:
Nice buckle tongue! :icon_thumright:

You have found the tongue portion of a two-piece cast brass Tongue & Wreath buckle. These T&W type buckles were very popular in the mid-19th Century. This particular style of eagle is apparently 1870's-1880's, based on the consensus of expert collectors. To my knowledge, no examples of this exact style design have been found in context with American Civil War sites or earlier. Although not of CW vintage, the piece is an attractive buckle and will display well in most any collection. Find the matching wreath, and you have very nice complete T&W buckle! :)

CC Hunter

^^^This is the expert!!^^^ Glad ya seen this CC,Ididnt know anything other than what the book said.
Awesome find!!!!!

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet spot.

The eagle looks exotic.

The Barber is sharp.

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Thanks, CC. There wasn't another good target near where this "tongue" was found. But I'll be back out there when I get back from skiing. Maybe the other half will show up.

Bob

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on some nice silver coins and a particularly nice Tongue portion of a T & W buckle. Although considered to be a post Civil War vintage, it's a beautiful specimen and will display well in a relic case with other accoutrements. Nice finds :icon_thumleft:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You East coast folk get all the good stuff. :noteworthy:
COngrats on a great hunt.

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
damn nice coin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread