Found my first Standing Liberty Quarter today! 1918 Barely Seen

B

Bev

Corrected post- Thought it was dateless but you can barely see the "8" in the date! 1918 is the verdict- Very excited!

I braved the elements to the maximum today! 3 inches of snow on the ground in the deep woods for about 4 hours and I was rewarded with a belt buckle that will needs some serious attention before an ID can be made and this pretty little thing!

Still very very exciting- My very first one!!!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,094
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,609
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,601
Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found my first Standing Liberty Quarter today and it's DATELESS- Could it be?

Your SLQ has stars below the eagle on the reverse so it can't be the '16. :(

Any day you find silver is still a good day though. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
B

Bev

Re: Found my first Standing Liberty Quarter today and it's DATELESS

DigginThePast said:
Your SLQ has stars below the eagle on the reverse so it can't be the '16. :(

Any day you find silver is still a good day though. :icon_thumright:

Darn, didnt see that part. I was focusing on the front- Oh well

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I see an 8 as the very last number. So 1918 or 1928...

OP
OP
B

Bev

OMG good eyes, I didnt even SEE that! I must have been too caught up in the moment. There it is though. UGH! Thank you!

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.

matt092079 said:
I see an 8 as the very last number. So 1918 or 1928...
Still a nice find regardless, if that is an 8 for the last digit then most likely the date is 1918. Starting in 1925 the date was recessed and no longer raised so that the date wouldn't wear off as easily. The 1916 and 1917 type one will not have a shoulder strap on the right shoulder as the right breast is exposed which brought on much controversy that led to the type 2.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And yes, a VERY nice find indeed. I'd love to find me one!

OP
OP
B

Bev

Sooo, is it worth anything? besides 25 cents? :laughing7:

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

Bev said:
Sooo, is it worth anything? besides 25 cents? :laughing7:

Its worth at least melt, which is just under $6.00 dollars for a silver quarter, Im not sure if anyone would pay more then melt for a dateless S.L. quarter.... Very nice find though.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coin shop would prob. give you 5 dollars for it...just for the meltdown value.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find!! I give you credit detecting in the snow. Another 3-6 inches expected, will that stop you? LOL
Congrats & happy hunting!!

Joe

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah its not the elusive one but it still has pretty decent details for a dateless one. Good Job!

OP
OP
B

Bev

Huge mood swings on this one- is it? NO, maybe? Yes??? Yeah!!! Awwww. Way too much.
I went with a few other hunting buddies who bottle dig and it was a cold one out there! I was covered from head to toe in wet cold frozen mud! I looked like a 5'2" fudgicle.
Nah Joe, I think I'm all set after this storm tonight! My At Pro is absolutely filthy! Good thing it's waterproof, I didnt have to worry at all about putting it down anywhere. I may just throw it in the shower for a second!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the standing liberty quarter, even having the date worn off is a beautiful coin. they also had a relative short span of production years so they are a fairly rare find for detectorists. most everyone wants to find one, but not everyone gets to. so, congrats on a great find!

OP
OP
B

Bev

At Pro owners: The shower works really well on these machines for those messy outings! My husband walk in and looked at me like I was insane!
Either way, I love love love my first Standing Liberty! I was so excited I couldnt believe my eyes! It's sitting here on my desk and I can't help but pick it up and stare at it every few minutes! Now I know how you guys feel!

How do you get them "graded" and put in those cards? Can a local person do that? Do they clean it too if it's ok to do? Is it expensive? I think I'd like to do that.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why even think about selling it. The value you will get out of it yourself, looking, fondling and playing with it will far exceed the few dollars it would fetch. Not to mention the memory of your first. Congrats! Just think of all the people, all the table tops and counters, that coin has touched. Paperboys, grocers, grandpa's, race track dandies! Use you imagination it will be an endless source of enjoyment for you in the years to come. :hello2:

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
WTG!!! It's a good feeling finding your first one.

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Bev! Good girl! I don't know much about having a coin slabed (put in those airtight cards) and graded; but I know it costs more than that coin is worth numismatically or melt value. I agree with Cleetus, and personally I think it's it's worth more than money. :icon_scratch: Does that make sense? Anyway, if it was me, I'd get one of those clear airtight round coin holders with a black ring inside it. (You can find them on eBay)...I think she would look real sweet in one of those. I have my silver Eagles and dollars in them and they really add value to your coins. Plus they stay clean with no more wear or scratches. I wouldn't worry about cleaning it, it looks lovely just the way it is.
As an added thought, you can always tell when a detectorist loves his or her detector when they shower with it! ;D

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! My 1st was a smoothy. couldn't even get a date. CONGRATS

Deno

Bronze Member