3 skunks planned for Monday and my first Ben

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
UPDATED W/ RESULTS - not too bad - 3 skunks planned for Monday and my first Ben

Hunted around a bit yesterday and didn't find anything. Did find one bank that thought they had $1,500 dollars worth, but couldn't sell them to me be they (I think) they couldn't get to them on a Saturday??? Not really sure why, but the manager was very nice, gave me her card, told me to call back on Monday and she'd get them out for me to come get. She said they're a hassle for her because it take a year or so for her to get enough to 'send back' which I guess is a good sign. Either way I'm still fully expecting to see cut, taped rerolls but I guess I'm supposed to go back on Monday and buy them all anyways. When I don't post an update you'll know it's because I'm staring at 150 re-rolls rolls....

Also I was wondering how many 90's and 40's JFK's on average would be normal to find before finding your first Ben. Then this week I picked up a Ben out of teller tray in the midwest. Pretty cool. I was in a hurry so I took the $10.50 worth of loose halves and through then in the cup holder without looking through them. I wanted to hit one of two more banks before they closed. I figured I'd check them all later (I thought there were 40's from rim checking while in the teller tray). When I threw them in I looked down and saw the bell staring back at me. Pretty cool.

UPDATE - So I picked up the $1,500 today and they were all in the same kind of rolls, I'm pretty sure they were dumps. Good news though, the teller had an extra $1 in her tray, including a '68D, so I picked that up. Going through the $1,500 my 7 year old found a '77S and I found a '71S so overall I'm pretty pleased. Once again, always buy them all....

QUESTION - I also found a '99D that is a different strike than the NIFC's or the Proofs. I think it may have come from a mint set. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your pickup!

HH

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
UPDATE - So I picked up the $1,500 today and they were all in the same kind of rolls, I'm pretty sure they were dumps. Good news though, the teller had an extra $1 in her tray, including a '68D, so I picked that up. Going through the $1,500 my 7 year old found a '77S and I found a '71S so overall I'm pretty pleased. Once again, always buy them all....

QUESTION - I also found a '99D that is a different strike than the NIFC's or the Proofs. I think it may have come from a mint set. Any thoughts?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe mint set coins receive any special treatment other than being put directly into their protective holders. So far as I know, and I very well could be wrong, a mint set coin is just a plain ol' "business strike" coin.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Arkie - thanks for the help. It's the only one I've seen struck like that, definitely has me a bit stumped. I put it a 2x2 and maybe I'll figure it out some time?

Thanks for looking

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Some times edges just are thicker on some coins, I am assuming that is the different strike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread