3 wheats and permission story

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I contacted an out of state landowner last spring about hunting an old homesite on his property. I was hoping he would say "anytime you want to" since most of my hunts are on the spur of the moment. He was nice and gave me permission but instead of an open invitation he asked when I would be there. I told him such and such date and went on that date. I didn?t get to hunt long that day but found a wheat and an Alabama tax token. I then sent him a short letter thanking him for letting me hunt and I included the tax token. I thought he would appreciate it since it was his family?s homeplace. I also said I would contact him again this fall or winter to see about hunting again. Well, I called him yesterday and once I identified myself he immediately told me how much he appreciated the letter and the token and gave me open permission to return to the site. A little kindness goes a long way!

After getting off the phone I rode out to the site and hunted for about three hours. I found three wheat, dates yet undetermined. I took the pic before I found the third. The house has totally fallen in except one wall and chimney. I think it was a fancy house for its day. All of the windows are about 6? tall which seems unusual for an ordinary house that old. I?ll be going back when I can this winter and will post results.

Kent

Attachments

• side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 337
  • wheats.jpg
    wheats.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 345
Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a grand house in it's day. Hopefully you will find more treasures there. HH

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
It looks like a very interesting site. I've never seen windows like that on a house that old! Keep at it - and let us know the dates on those wheats once you get 'em cleaned!

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You never know how someone is going to react when you ask to hunt their property. Glad it worked out for you this time.

Yeah, that looks like it was a great house in its time.

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Way to go. Thanks for setting the perfect example of what should be done.

Improves the image of our hobby.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really great story Kent! And looks like an awesome spot to hunt! Keep us updated on it!

Congrats on those finds!!

;)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm with Bjorn...People are kinda funny these day's about letting stranger's on there property.Glad it all worked out.Keep us posted and HH!!

K

Ky S.centeral

i have read from others on here when they find a site like this they like to hunt the ground directly under the house for coins that have fallen through the cracks its a challenge if possible

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kent, that's a great story. They say that kindness given is returned to you tenfold. Hopefully that translated to a mason jar full of old silver dollars for you. Great looking spot too! Good luck hunting it!!

OP
OP
Kent in AL

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update with coin dates

Thanks for the comments guys! Wheats were 191?, 193? and 1942. The one I picked up there last spring was a 1916.

Ky S.centeral said:
i have read from others on here when they find a site like this they like to hunt the ground directly under the house for coins that have fallen through the cracks its a challenge if possible

That's a good thought Ky but after you see the front view of the house you'll see it would be difficult. Plus I'm wondering when that last wall is going to decide to topple! :o

civilman1 said:
I'm with Bjorn...People are kinda funny these day's about letting stranger's on there property.Glad it all worked out.Keep us posted and HH!!

You're right civilman1. I'm like everybody else, I don't like to call someone that doesn't know me from Adam and ask for a favor. The only connection this man and I had was being from the same area but he moved away as a young man probably 40 years ago. But I think he liked hearing from someone back home and he said if I find any more momentos he would like to have one and told me to stay in touch. He is a nice man. If I find an old piece of jewelry or anything that would have a family connection I will gladly send it to him. Well, depending on the value. ;D

Kent

Attachments

• front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 209

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread