30,000 in halves planned for next week starting Tuesday.

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30,000 in halves planned for friday

Hi gentlemen, I did 5,000 in halves recently and liked the results, I called all the Wells Fargo and bank of America's near the border of PA and NJ and ordered halves for Friday,

In all I ordered 60 boxes (30K)

My gameplay is to hopefully do them all that weekend with the help of my grandson and return them all throughout the following week in NJ.

I originally wanted to do 30k-35k in halves a week so I am planning one week will be to buy boxes and the next return them.

We shall see how this goes.

Upvote 0

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my limited experience the most important thing I found was the cultivating of the relationship at the banks. More money would be nice so I wouldn't have to turn my 10K a week over and over but if the person ordering the half's isn't thrilled with you... you wouldn't believe how many times "oh the order forgot to get placed happens."
As far as one person screwing up the market for someone else... someone over at RC posted this...

"4,233,725 40% silver Kennedy half dollars (1965 - 1969) would still be left in circulation if 99.5% of them have already been found and/or melted.

Four million, two hundred and thirty-three thousand, seven hundred and twenty five."

If someone is out there getting pushy with volume... if you have a good "relationship" with your bank it won't affect you. Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my limited experience the most important thing I found was the cultivating of the relationship at the banks. More money would be nice so I wouldn't have to turn my 10K a week over and over but if the person ordering the half's isn't thrilled with you... you wouldn't believe how many times "oh the order forgot to get placed happens."
As far as one person screwing up the market for someone else... someone over at RC posted this...

"4,233,725 40% silver Kennedy half dollars (1965 - 1969) would still be left in circulation if 99.5% of them have already been found and/or melted.

Four million, two hundred and thirty-three thousand, seven hundred and twenty five."

If someone is out there getting pushy with volume... if you have a good "relationship" with your bank it won't affect you. Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

now THAT's motivational!

Good luck OP, let us know how you do!

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
It is interesting reading all the rants in the post about this guy ruining CRH. As many have posted, relationships are key to the hobby and taking care of the people who supply you as well as take the rejects back is huge.

If you you are pompous enough to believe you are holding the cards just because you have a business account or have thousands of dollars in your account, you are fooling yourself.

Common sense goes a long way and dropping large amounts at one bank or ordering large amounts every week from the same bank is folly. While it certainly makes it easier to do this, it will be a short lived experience.

There is noway one person will shut this hobby down. Does anyone really believe all the banks will unite and declare ordering coins for people bad business and stop?

The post seems like a hoax to me but I really don't care one way or the other. If it is legit, all the best to you. I do a large amount each week and know how much work is involved. The numbers he is talking about would require not much of a life that particular week.

MU

Last edited:

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the OP's attitude and optimism but have several problems with this thread.

1. Who are any of you to judge whether or not this member has time to do this?

2. Who are any of you to value your own searching efforts and condemn those of another member? If his local banks truly have a problem do you think its more likely they will cut him off or create and implement a Corporation wide rule/fee involving coin orders which will effect all CRH equally?

3. Who are any of you to question this members honesty with no evidence presented other than your own spite and jealousy? If this member owns a business and has a good chunk of change to INVEST elsewhere, why do you question it? WHY would he want to BUY SILVER AT SPOT when he can get it for less than 10% of its cost from a roll of coin.

4. Even if you wouldn't search 30k in halves a week because "it would feel to much like a job" how does that matter in this thread? You know how we know who does and doesn't search massive volumes? BECAUSE CRH WHO DO MASSIVE VOLUMES WILL SHARE IT! It doesn't matter if you search 30 bucks or 30,000 in a week....this isn't your thread!

My Grandmother always used to say "If you don't have anything nice to say, do not say anything at all!" A message that my mother frequently revisited and I think it would behoove me to share with some of you as on this specific thread.

So what have we here? We have a post stating a member was going to purchase and search 30k in halves which undoubtedly would have included pics for us to feast our eyes on. Instead what do we have? Four pages of speculation and slander on a member who is new to the forum and probably won't return to a good forum which is plagued with a few consistent jerks who scream about others ruining the hobby for this person or that person when in reality they are only concerned about how it is going to affect them...please see definition below:

Lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

Sound familiar? Thats every other post in this topic from a small number of individuals. The word that coincides with this definition is SELFISH!

heres how I see it...

Stop being so SELFISH and concerned with OTHERS and don't bother posting if all you have is slanderish negative BS!

The OP has outlined that he is picking up at multiple branches in an environment where he has a good business relationship. He is following CRH RULES!!!!

Show some damn respect!:thumbsup:

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2. Who are any of you to value your own searching efforts and condemn those of another member? If his local banks truly have a problem do you think its more likely they will cut him off or create and implement a Corporation wide rule/fee involving coin orders which will effect all CRH equally?

:

Just want to address this one.Banks will make a decision that effects everyone. Case in point. A little over a year ago, if you were an account holder at BB&T, you could go into a branch that had a coin counting machine and offer to buy the bag for the amount that the counter said was in the bag. Several people started to complain (and some quite vocally) that they were getting shorted. None of them probably said a word about having a bag that was heavy though. They should have just accepted it as being part of the territory. But I digress. Bank tellers at the BB&Ts started getting tired of people who bought the bags complaining to them all the time, so they let managers know, and up the chain it went. Next thing you know, a corporate rule was made that they could no longer sell those bags to customers. The excuse was, "Because they had to sell them directly to the Fed." We all know that excuse is bogus, but can do nothing about it, because a few ruined it for all.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just want to address this one.Banks will make a decision that effects everyone. Case in point. A little over a year ago, if you were an account holder at BB&T, you could go into a branch that had a coin counting machine and offer to buy the bag for the amount that the counter said was in the bag. Several people started to complain (and some quite vocally) that they were getting shorted. None of them probably said a word about having a bag that was heavy though. They should have just accepted it as being part of the territory. But I digress. Bank tellers at the BB&Ts started getting tired of people who bought the bags complaining to them all the time, so they let managers know, and up the chain it went. Next thing you know, a corporate rule was made that they could no longer sell those bags to customers. The excuse was, "Because they had to sell them directly to the Fed." We all know that excuse is bogus, but can do nothing about it, because a few ruined it for all.

I can see what you meen by this but I think the circumstances are a little bit different. Shorting customer's/members money on a recurring basis is surely some sort of liability for the financial institution. Financials are operated in a manner which it is necessary to keep the field of membership happy. If the OP of this thread orders 30k in halves which puts a strain on the employees at a financial they may make a call to cut him off but its not going to be a corporate rule...it will likely be at the branch level. The larger financial figure heads don't have time to deal with something as trivial as employee disatisfaction with doing one or more job related duties.

In your scenario we have dissatisfied customers.
In this thread the scenario (and CRH) we have dissatisfied tellers.

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandmother always used to say "If you don't have anything nice to say, do not say anything at all!" A message that my mother frequently revisited and I think it would behoove me to share with some of you as on this specific thread.

Stop being so SELFISH and concerned with OTHERS and don't bother posting if all you have is slanderish negative BS!

He's new, doesn't seem concerned for the best practices of the hobby, despite our warnings and advice. He is going in on an 'every man for himself' attitude; his actions could have a DIRECT effect on people picking up/dumping in his banks. If we don't monitor how others behave and call them on it when they make a bad mistake, we could ALL be out of a hobby. He read the book, thinks he knows what's "best", damn the advice of more experienced members, and will go wading into banks with $30k of coins. That can cause a lot of damage.

Of all the people/causes to white knight for, you pick this? Really?

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you guys have done you're best to run the OP off, we'll probably never know how this venture turned out.

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's new, doesn't seem concerned for the best practices of the hobby, despite our warnings and advice.

Now I have to jump in. Who are you to determine what is the "best practices of the hobby"? Who are you to be giving advice?

I think he has a good plan and hope he makes a fortune.

V

Last edited:

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still wondering how he is going to move all that coin. Hope he is planning on multiple pick ups. Hope to here how this all turns out. Good luck happy hunting

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I have to jump in. Who are you to determine what is the "best practices of the hobby"? Who are you to be giving advice?
V

Well, when a forum full of people agree that there are a variety of strategies, but x, y, and z work well, and there's a consensus, such as the guide to CRH, or the experiences of others (anecdotal evidence in quantity is sufficient), those are the best practices. I'd take the advice of experienced members as some of the most reliable info possible.

I'm no expert, but I believe $0 to $5,000 to $30,000 in three weeks doesn't exactly follow the basic ideas of how to successfully crh.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the OP's attitude and optimism but have several problems with this thread.

1. Who are any of you to judge whether or not this member has time to do this?

3. Who are any of you to question this members honesty with no evidence presented other than your own spite and jealousy? If this member owns a business and has a good chunk of change to INVEST elsewhere, why do you question it? WHY would he want to BUY SILVER AT SPOT when he can get it for less than 10% of its cost from a roll of coin.

4. Even if you wouldn't search 30k in halves a week because "it would feel to much like a job" how does that matter in this thread? You know how we know who does and doesn't search massive volumes? BECAUSE CRH WHO DO MASSIVE VOLUMES WILL SHARE IT! It doesn't matter if you search 30 bucks or 30,000 in a week....this isn't your thread!

So what have we here? We have a post stating a member was going to purchase and search 30k in halves which undoubtedly would have included pics for us to feast our eyes on. Instead what do we have? Four pages of speculation and slander on a member who is new to the forum and probably won't return to a good forum which is plagued with a few consistent jerks who scream about others ruining the hobby for this person or that person when in reality they are only concerned about how it is going to affect them...please see definition below:

Lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

Sound familiar? Thats every other post in this topic from a small number of individuals. The word that coincides with this definition is SELFISH!

heres how I see it...

The OP has outlined that he is picking up at multiple branches in an environment where he has a good business relationship. He is following CRH RULES!!!!

Show some damn respect!:thumbsup:

Dont hate the player hate the game.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

And TD bank shut down ordering halves too, because of crazy ordering I believe, it is in past threads on here. HH, Maverick.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unclehuckelberry said:
So how about those Ravens?

Thanks for changing the subject. If you want my opinion, I hope the Niners win, because I have loved them since I was 8, and because I think Ray Lewis is a murderer.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Any pictures yet?? I would be tickled pink just to see boxes of halves stacked up. How many 40% and 90% were found? If any congratulations! at least someone is finding silver if I'm not. Better than the government melting it down for electronics or touch screen components. I can't wait till wednesday. my 2 box of nickels comes in. ::does a crazy dance:: and I can get back to CRHing. I get monday thru thursday next week off and if the weather is nice enough, I want to dump my stash and possible order a couple boxes of dimes and another box of nickels.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a way to get what you want from the branches and have them happy to do it. FOSTER GOOD WILL AMD MAKE FRIENDS AND NOT ENEMIES. The first thing I ask a bank when deciding that I am going to dump with them is... I have a business account (which entitles me to dump bags.) do you want them in $500 or $1000? Some want the later because to many bags are bulky. Some want smaller bags bc there are women carrying them and they are too heavy. Second, what day do you have pick ups? I don't want to have my coin sit in your vault and remind you how cumbersome and bothersome dealing with me is... I'm going to dump but make it as painless and seamless as possible. Lerner to differentiate between rules and courtesies. I have banks that call me to tell me that they are getting unexpected pick ups so bring in all the coin you want... In my case $9000 at a time. I ask are you sure? Yes they are sure. Bring them tokens of friendship... I bring them bagels once a week. A $10 bag of bagels has eliminated my dump fees. I'm not promising that will happen with you but if you find out what they need out of this arrangement they will tell you and make it better for everyone overall. One bank told me that filling out the bags info is difficult when it weighs 50 pounds. O.k. I do it before hand so it's less work for them. Wen I walk in they handle loads of bags bc they know I'm trying to save them time and work. The next step in my plan... Customer rolled coin. Most banks need to unroll it and dump into bags. I know modest make sense. Why are they asking you to roll and then dumping. As soon as its in their vault. I have heard its easier to count and make sue that they are getting a right count. For the most part. Oh by the way... X manager. I would like to buy those rolls. I know that they may be wrong... But it'll save your staff time every day unrolling coins. If you cultivate a relationship they will go farther than you can imagine to work with you. I had a situation where I picked up $5000 in customer rolled dimes. When I unrolled them their we're pennies substituted to steal from the bank. They went as far as to split the difference with me on what I claimed was my loss. We instituted a new system for dimes. I bought a couple $10 scales and the tellers weigh $100 batches before they accept them. If the particular batch is way off of what it should be they unroll them. I have helped catch a person trying to steal front the bank. They sat down with me to discuss what I thought would be a good procedure to help with the dimes. I know the I'm all ove true place with this post. What I am trying to say is start off like you would any relationship and build. Hopefully you'll find you've made some friends along the way. If anyone has any ideas or questions please feel to pm me. I'm not saying I am a pro at this but there are definitely ways to insert yourself into their procedures and systems.
When your new to CRH you may not be thinking in this mind set. Try to quickly put yourself in their shoes. That's what I was fortunate to learn from certain websites and forum online when I started. Pay it forward. Help the new people play the game so they can spread the good word that the crazy guys that pick up tons of boxes are actually good guys and can be helpful. One last tangent. There ismambranch that I deal with that is all women (for the record... Don't hit on them. Keep work and business seperate) I heard that their rolling cart had broken and as a result they were using a rolling chair to move bags from the vault thru the bank. Harbor freight has flatbed dollies for 25$ I dropped one off so they know whenever I show up they have a safe way to put my bags in the vault. I'm not tooting my own horn here. I am shaing ways you can become part of their daily routine. O.k. That's enough for now :-)

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ A LOT of good info! Gasp...experienced members offering advice!

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
::eyes cross for all the small print and numberous lines:: Oh my eyes! my eyes! Great info but still oh my eyes ache now..

Sincerely, garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread